Front Doors: Stable Doors

Bones

Featured Posts

I am looking to have some front doors made for the boat. I would like stable doors this time made from Oak. Does anyone know what sort of price I should be expecting to pay for the doors, fitting of the doors and the door frame. I would also like all door furniture and locks/ventilation things included.

I am looking to have some front doors made for the boat. I would like stable doors this time made from Oak. Does anyone know what sort of price I should be expecting to pay for the doors, fitting of the doors and the door frame. I would also like all door furniture and locks/ventilation things included.

Do you want glass in the doors as well?

See Bon about glass, she does some beautiful work :lol:

Bon's just about to do some beautiful windows for my stable doors - sorry Bones but my doors came with the boat so no idea where they're from.

I do know a good place for oak stuff though - I'm just having some rustic shelves made and hopefully soon I'll be ordering some more stuff from them.

www.simplyrustic.oak.co.uk has the contact number - I emailed them to start with and they've been so helpful and friendly.

I secured a couple of quotes for new mahogany front cabin doors and frame a few years ago and the cheapest was well in excess of £700. (oak would have been a bit cheaper) That did not include any hardware, glass, varnishing, or fitting. I did not proceed.

I have since decided to make them myself when I can get round to it, and have found a local source for the timber, prepared to size, for about £140, glass would be another £40 or so. Nearly £600 for less than a days work machining and assembling seems excessive to me, but that is what "struggling" businesses seem to think they can charge.

Edited to add:- Both the "struggling" businesses have since managed to struggle themselves into liquidation, because they "could not get enough work" When I spoke to one of them earlier this year, I did suggest that if they reduced their prices a bit, they might not find themselves spending half the week paying themselves (and their landlord) to sit around playing cards. -- Stoney ground!

Edited by David Schweizer