questions about owning a canal boat

TinaC

Featured Posts

I am guessing that is a gag !

(Although I do realise I quoted the wrong comment ! I meant to quote the 'will 35ft work')

If you go back to the first post in the thread you'll see the relevance of the £10,000. Sorry if I seemed to imply Strumble was in any way a cheap boat. She looks well appointed and I'm glad you are doing well with her.

Richard

What about hiring it out as a day boat?

As someone earlier said, these days money is tight and so people may look at spending less but still want to be on the water.

A smaller boat, which could have maybe one double birth and galley would perhaps bring in more revenue than say a weekly hire boat.

How about you yourself taking people out on small day trips?

You would still need to budget for things like insurance including public liability and the correct licenses etc but for a small boat it might be more viable.

Yebbut, section 10 is advisory for private boats and mandatory for hire boats. So a boat built as a private boat with, say, an engine room air intake 9" above water would fail section 10 if used as a hire boat.

But, but... I read that as it's advisory for private boats to have all skin fittings above 250mm or have watertight fittings inside, but it's compulsory for hire boats to have skin fittings 250mm above waterline or have watertight fittings inside.

No?

T :lol:

What about deck drains?

Again, it's woolly (like all the BSS wording) as it states "self-draining cockpit opening approved". I'm assuming (I'm doing a lot of that) that they mean that if it can't meet the 250mm rule then it must "stop water getting into other parts of the hull by incorporating non-return valves in the drains and/or having bulkheads or cills up to a height of 150mm (6ins)."

Once again, I'm guessing we'll only really know if Alan or another examiner chips in here.

But, but... I read that as it's advisory for private boats to have all skin fittings above 250mm or have watertight fittings inside, but it's compulsory for hire boats to have skin fittings 250mm above waterline or have watertight fittings inside.

No?

Again, it's woolly (like all the BSS wording) as it states "self-draining cockpit opening approved". I'm assuming (I'm doing a lot of that) that they mean that if it can't meet the 250mm rule then it must "stop water getting into other parts of the hull by incorporating non-return valves in the drains and/or having bulkheads or cills up to a height of 150mm (6ins)."

Once again, I'm guessing we'll only really know if Alan or another examiner chips in here.

I understand the points that you are making. I think what I'm trying to say is that you could buy a boat that complies with the BSS for a private boat that would then fail the BSS if you wanted to use it as a hire boat. Something for the OP to bear in mind when researching this plan. So budget for a re-inspection of the boat to comply with the appropriate BSS including the mandatory parts of section 10, even if the boat has a current BSS.

Richard

Richard

• 3 weeks later...
Hi

I have been canal boating with my family and friends for a number of years and we thoroughly enjoy it and will continue to go every year. I have noticed that you can buy a small canal boat for quite a reasonable price (under £10,000) and my sister and I are interested in buying one so that we can use between the family but also rent out so that it covers the running/maintenence costs.

What can you get for £10K? Ex-hire boats 50' - 58' built in early 80s are selling for £25K - £30K. Many of these will need replating (£7K - £10K). Probably re-painting. Probably need new galley facilities and furniture re-upholstering. Possibly re-engining.

OK, maybe you could get a 35' ex-hire boat (or other) from the 70s for something like £15K. There's a reasonable chance it would have already been replated (or partially replated?). But it would surely need all the rest of the above work done. Even if you have a team or family of people willing and capable of doing the work (for gratis), how much money are you willing to pour into a 35 year old boat?

Given the competition (many hire boats are 'retired' after four or five years these days), how much could you hire it out for — £300 a week? £400 a week? Maybe £500 absolute peak season? Minus your overheads, fuel, servicing, valetting, insurance, mooring, licencing, advertising/website and hosting ...

But, if you were still keen, maybe you could promote it in the same way some people have hired out second hand cars or old vans — pitched at a real budget-minded market (who have real need but low expectations). But you'd definitely want to check around to see whether that market existed beforehand.

I am certainly not as negative as some other posters seem to be.

If you insured that everything was working and a lick of paint then I am sure there would be a market at say £400 - £ 500 a week or £200 - £300 for a long weekend. A lot of people that hire are only interested in seeing the canals and then mooring up by a pub in the evening so all they realy require is a bed, toilet and a shower. People hire day boats for 6 hours for £150 per day.