Flettner vents

noff

Featured Posts

Has anyone ever used a Flettner vent ( the spinning top things you see on the tops of vans etc)

I am thinking about fitting one for my bathroom to keep the condensation levels down.. would it be overkill?. I know some folk use the stainless steel spinning vents (rotavatair????) but they are a little too big and in your face for me .. so possibly a Flettner spinning vent?? any thoughts ...

thanks

Has anyone ever used a Flettner vent ( the spinning top things you see on the tops of vans etc)

I am thinking about fitting one for my bathroom to keep the condensation levels down.. would it be overkill?. I know some folk use the stainless steel spinning vents (rotavatair????) but they are a little too big and in your face for me .. so possibly a Flettner spinning vent?? any thoughts ...

thanks

They do not spin fast enough on a boat roof to make a difference

Been there, done that , sold them to a mate years ago

Chris

thanks

I have thought of using one to vent our holding tank, keep it aerobic,

thanks

A powered vent of some kind is most effective because it will work when conditions are ripe for condensation - still and dull outside, warm and humid inside.

Unfortunately, wind powered vents and solar powered vents work best when least required - when it's windy and when it's sunny. A solar vent with an attached battery, such as the one described by Carlt, works because it stores energy and uses it to drive the fan when required - at night or on a dull day.

A powered vent of some kind is most effective because it will work when conditions are ripe for condensation - still and dull outside, warm and humid inside.

Unfortunately, wind powered vents and solar powered vents work best when least required - when it's windy and when it's sunny. A solar vent with an attached battery, such as the one described by Carlt, works because it stores energy and uses it to drive the fan when required - at night or on a dull day.

thankyou all for quick replies..

I did consider the solar vent but heard different opinions about them.. and they are not cheap enough (like the Flettner vent) to experiment with although I like the idea of 'free'power..

I can see the logic regarding wind powered vents not being effective when they need to be ... not sure which way to go yet . advice still welcomed.

:lol: