Battery connections - insulated post

Featured Posts

Hello there, newly registered but I admit to having been lurking for a while. My first post so please be gentle! Whilst lurking I have learnt a great deal, been amused, puzzled, surprised, and confused and learnt that sometimes it is better not to post electrical questions. I have fitted a Smartguage though! My question should be pretty straightforward though I think for some.

We have a 45ft Liverpool sailaway, on the Glos - Sharpness, nearly finished after 7 years but would rather use it than spend too much time on the mooring so progress is slow.

What used to be the standard arrangement on Liverpool sailaways Beta engines with twin alternators was that the B+ on the domestic bank alternator was connected to an insulated post on the engine bed. When you have progressed far enough to connect the domestic battery bank you simply connect to that post.

Mine is done like that, the battery bank is on the opposite side of the engine and the cable runs around the edge of the engine space, a distance of about 8 ft. From what I’ve learnt from this forum, (apart from don’t ask electrical questions!) when I replace the batteries (3x110 Elecsols fitted May 05) I intend to connect the +ve & -ve at opposite ends of the bank rather than at the same end as at present. If I then connected the +ve straight to B+ the cable would then only be about 3ft long. Would this be worthwhile? Now the tricky bit, for me anyway.

There is another cable on the insulated post, a small wire, brown, which I have traced through the loom to the control panel & it is connected to terminal 87 on a relay. What does this wire do? Presumably it is a feed when there is output from the alternator. If I disconnect the insulated post from the B+, what do I do with this wire, extend it directly to B+?

Any help would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Steve

There is another cable on the insulated post, a small wire, brown, which I have traced through the loom to the control panel & it is connected to terminal 87 on a relay. What does this wire do? Presumably it is a feed when there is output from the alternator. If I disconnect the insulated post from the B+, what do I do with this wire, extend it directly to B+?

Any help would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Steve

The (ignition controled) relay is used to connect the domestic alternator warning light to the domestic battery. Extend the wire as required to connect it to the domestic battery positive.

Steve

Welcome, Steve.

I am sure that we all like a brave man!

I hope you don't mind, I am going to move this to "Boat Building and Maintenance". "General Boating" gets a bit full up with all sorts.

All the best

Nick

Whilst lurking I have learnt a great deal, been amused, puzzled, surprised, and confused and learnt that sometimes it is better not to post electrical questions.

:lol::lol:;)

If I disconnect the insulated post from the B+, what do I do with this wire, extend it directly to B+?

Either that or, seeing as you've traced it and know where it goes, a better solution might be to replace it completely - one less connection to fail.

T :lol:

Edit to add that as and when I can find any time to tidy up our boat's electrics I'm slowly replacing any wire that's been extended with a piece of chock-block with a nice new cable. Believe me, there are many :lol:

Edited by WotEver

The (ignition controled) relay is used to connect the domestic alternator warning light to the domestic battery. Extend the wire as required to connect it to the domestic battery positive.

Steve

Steve

Thanks for that, its what I thought I could do. Thats a job for when I have new batteries & alter the wiring.

Steve

:lol::lol:;)

Either that or, seeing as you've traced it and know where it goes, a better solution might be to replace it completely - one less connection to fail.

T :lol:

Edit to add that as and when I can find any time to tidy up our boat's electrics I'm slowly replacing any wire that's been extended with a piece of chock-block with a nice new cable. Believe me, there are many :lol:

Thanks T. I see what you mean but I think I'll just extend it though, only about 18". It currently runs in the loom through multiplugs at each end of the loom, nice & tidy. If I run a new cable it will need to be outside the loom so not so tidy.

Steve

Welcome, Steve.

I am sure that we all like a brave man!

I hope you don't mind, I am going to move this to "Boat Building and Maintenance". "General Boating" gets a bit full up with all sorts.

All the best

Nick

OOOOOPs, thanks for the welcome, I was concentrating so hard on getting my first post on, I put it in the wrong place. Will try harder next time.

Steve

Thanks T. I see what you mean but I think I'll just extend it though, only about 18". It currently runs in the loom through multiplugs at each end of the loom, nice & tidy. If I run a new cable it will need to be outside the loom so not so tidy.

Fair enough :lol: But do use a crimped barrel and not a piece of chock-block :lol:

Tony :lol: