Washer/dryer

Soulgirl

Featured Posts

I can find top loading, slimline washing machines but not combination washer/dryers. Does anyone have one or know of a model?

Also, if you have a gas hob/over for example, does that run off a bottle of propane or am I better looking at ceramic/electric?

According to my son who's in the white goods trade no such thing is made :lol: If you need further help with the washing machine PM me.

Personally I wouldn't have electric cooking on a boat but then I won't have it in a house either !!!

And before Den comments I do cook ( sometimes) :lol:

I can find top loading, slimline washing machines but not combination washer/dryers. Does anyone have one or know of a model?

Also, if you have a gas hob/over for example, does that run off a bottle of propane or am I better looking at ceramic/electric?

You could always get one of the male fan club you're building up on here to operate a mangle for you.

I have a normal house washer/dryer on mine. The only time i ever use the dryer is if i'm on the move....mostly because its just rubbish. Always thought it odd that it uses hot water to dry the washing! (also i managed to cook a mouse in there once that has hidden in the laundry basket....eeeeew)

I just put my washing on a clothes horse in the winter and it dries quickle near the stove.

Bon

I honestly think that the only way to run a washer/dryer, washing machine, electric hob, oven, is with a standalone generator or an engine driven generator.

To use batteries will not be sensible or practical.

ps. gas hob and gas oven would be connected to the gas (propane) bottles.

Soulgirl

Probably should have put a ps. :lol:

ps. my boat is all electric and has a standalone generator (7Kw).

If you plan to use your boat in the way stated then it will work satisfactorily.

I have a normal house washer/dryer on mine. The only time i ever use the dryer is if i'm on the move....mostly because its just rubbish. Always thought it odd that it uses hot water to dry the washing! (also i managed to cook a mouse in there once that has hidden in the laundry basket....eeeeew)

I just put my washing on a clothes horse in the winter and it dries quickle near the stove.

Bon

I'll second Bon's comment.

We have an integrated washer drier and whilst they may be OK if your on a shoreline, I wouldn't bother off a generator. Its the drying thats the problem, they all seem to have condensor dryers which take an age to dry the clothes.

We bought quite an expensive Neff machine because it has cool and quickwash functions (in the hope it would reduce the generator running time) but the total time for wash and dry is still approaching 3 hours. :lol:

We now just use the washer and dry the clothes in the cratch in summer or on a maiden when the stoves running.

Next time I'd have the little Candy and not bother with a dryer - or if I had the space - I'd get a studio non-condensing type dryer and hang the hose out of a window - I definately wouldn't have a condensor type at any price. :lol:

We have one of these - but don't bother. :lol:

http://www.wrenkitchens.com/product/156527

If you are happy with top loading you could always consider a twin tub which since they take hot water feed and do very quick wash cycles use not very much power at all. There's a uk manufacturer/supplier here:

http://twintubuk.com/epages/eshop188917.sf...2Twin%20tubs%22

Or you could get it for less from a good chandlery:

Twintub link

fs%20twin%20tub.jpg

PS They're not actually MADE in the UK!

PPS They work much better than automatics, in less time and with less water and power consumed.

But the hassle of actually 'hanging' washing out! Nooooo, I couldn't bare it :lol: I've not hung washing out regularly for over 20 years lol. As for the twin tubs, they're not dryers but spinners. If necessary, I'll just do the washing machine bit and make my Daughter hang it out to dry :lol:

Is it possible to have a geni installed as a back-up or to be able to 'switch' between geni and mains? Yes I bet that's quite a complicated electrical brief isn't it? Yes and no.

You could have a small generator (2 to 3 Kw) that would run a washer/dryer.

The easiest way to 'wire' this up is to connect the generator to the same plug that the landline connects to.

Ensure you follow the safety guides like earthing etc.

That's the easy way, now another way (the way mine is done) the generator is on-board (it is about the same size as the propulsion engine, physically) it has sensers so auto starts when the load is too great for the batteries but also is controlled not to start between the hours of 20;00Hrs and 08:00Hrs the next day.

Bon

I do not know of a washer/dryer that uses hot water to dry the clothes, the only ones I know of use cold water to condense the steam from the clothes that are heated by an element in the drum.

Is it an expensive job having a set up like you'res? I'm guessing it runs on diesel?

Good quality in-built marine diesel generators which will work washers or dryers could easily cost around £6K - £8K or more, depending on the installation and complexity of the set-up. :lol:

An alternative is the Honda/Victron combination, it would be much cheaper, but would mean carrying and storing petrol - unless you have an LPG genny.

Have a read of this, depending on the washer you may manage with set up 2 but 3 would probably be better.

http://www.victronenergy.com/upload/docume...aBrochureGB.pdf

Im considering not having a washer or drier at all and just relying on laundrettes and hand washing. I know it may be an inconvenience having to find one etc. but I need as much cupboard space as possible for all the pack rat stuff I cant bear to live without.

Do those of you who have made the same decision regret not having a washing machine and dryer?

Good quality in-built marine diesel generators which will work washers or dryers could easily cost around £6K - £8K or more, depending on the installation and complexity of the set-up. :lol:

An alternative is the Honda/Victron combination, it would be much cheaper, but would mean carrying and storing petrol - unless you have an LPG genny.

Have a read of this, depending on the washer you may manage with set up 2 but 3 would probably be better.

http://www.victronenergy.com/upload/docume...aBrochureGB.pdf

Thanks, I'll check out the link :lol: