Woodburner help please

ronie

Featured Posts

Hi,

We are going to put in a woodburner (well multifuel stove) and run a central heating circuit off it. We need to put the burner in ASAP so we can get boat safety before going in the water. We have a cruiser back, so approx 55foot of cabin space to heat. The living room / kitchen where the burner will be is the front 20 feet of the boat. The rest is made up of 2 cabins off corridor, through bathroom, 2 cabins off corridor then back cabin across boat.

We were thinking of puttin a radiator in bathroom, back cabin, and in each corridor, making total of 4 radiators. From calculations online I think we need about 2kw in the living room and then another 1.5kw for each radiator - does that sound about right?

WOuld love to know what other people have to heat boats and how effective they find it.

Thanks

Ronie

Hi,

We are going to put in a woodburner (well multifuel stove) and run a central heating circuit off it. We need to put the burner in ASAP so we can get boat safety before going in the water. We have a cruiser back, so approx 55foot of cabin space to heat. The living room / kitchen where the burner will be is the front 20 feet of the boat. The rest is made up of 2 cabins off corridor, through bathroom, 2 cabins off corridor then back cabin across boat.

We were thinking of puttin a radiator in bathroom, back cabin, and in each corridor, making total of 4 radiators. From calculations online I think we need about 2kw in the living room and then another 1.5kw for each radiator - does that sound about right?

WOuld love to know what other people have to heat boats and how effective they find it.

Thanks

Ronie

I think most people would have something like a 4kw - 5kw output stove with perhaps a 7000 - 10000btu backboiler for what you are doing.

You could try a slightly bigger stove - I think the new Morso Squirrel is rated at 6kw. (It ain't cheap though!)

http://www.stovesonline.co.uk/wood_burning...rrel-Stove.html

Morso with backboiler will do the trick nicely. Get an Ecofan to sit on top, makes a massive difference.

I have Eberspacher central heating and only used it this winter when the morso stove had gone out, once lit, the stove took over, even in the weeks of deep freeze we had. i have a separate Epping stove/oven in the bmc which was lit for winter cruising.

Can't beat a Squirrel, just be careful when lighting a very cold one, allow the stove to heat up slowly, they are cast iron and can crack if roared up too quickly.

Has to be a squirel everytime although try fitting a pump if you can for the rads I lived on my boat for 7 years a 60 footer w ith no rads it was always was always easy to keep warm

We've got a Stockton 6. It heats two double radiators and the calirofier. The rads are HOT in 15mins from lighting. The fire is turned down most of the time which the instructions say is wrong but we don't need more heat.

58' boat

Sue

We have 4 rads @1kw each which I would like to replace with smaller ones to enable me to fit isolation valves. Altogether we have 6kw of rads which has proved to be excessive on a 60' nb, 4 would be enough I think ( this is without the fire lit using Mikuni only)

Edited to add we don't have a backboiler (yet)

Edited by nb Innisfree