Recommend me....

psychic_dog

Featured Posts

as part of our long term plan my partner and I plan a week away in the next month or so. We'd like to hire a 58 foot semi trad with a decent spec, any suggestions for a leisurely route and hire company or those to avoid at this time of year...and yes I know everyone asks these numpty questions... :lol:

Edited by psychic_dog

Well I have two I can recommend - we've been with both of them a few times.

As I've posted before when recommendations are asked for, then I'd highly rate Shire Cruisers, based at Sowerby Bridge in Yorkshire - cracking boats and brilliant service from start to finish. We've had three hires from them, and never a problem. Nice boats, fabulous area. We've done the Rochdale, Huddersfield Broad, Huddersfield Narrow, Aire and Calder Navigation and Leeds and Liverpool on their boats, our last trip being with Bones and Maffi on the Rochdale last September. Susan provides a wealth of information and nothing is too much trouble.

Canal Cruising Co at Stone in Staffordshire. We've had one of their boats twice, and have just booked the same boat for a whole month next year....again, excellent service from start to finish. Well turned out boats and excellent, friendly customer service. Also extremely well priced. They've done us a very good deal for a four week hire in May next year.

Further south, I'd highly recommend Wyvern Shipping. Our first boating holiday, and top class boats with excellent customer service.

Hope that's of some help.

Janet

as part of our long term plan my partner and I plan a week away in the next month or so. We'd like to hire a 58 foot semi trad with a decent spec, any suggestions for a leisurely route and hire company or those to avoid at this time of year...and yes I know everyone asks these numpty questions... :lol:

When responding, will contributors please avoid negative comments (about hire companies) or plain commercial advertising in open forum. If in doubt, please use the personal message facility.

I hope my post wasn't considered as advertising! I have no links to any of the companies other than as a very satisfied hirer!

I can also highly recommend Claymoore, based at Preston Brook, having hired out Quarry Bank Mill for a week. We found that the boat was perfectly turned out and we had excellent serice. We wouldn't hesitate to use them again.

We hire once or twice a year (if we're lucky!) and haven't had a bad experience with any company. However, we did do a lot of background research beforehand, checking out reviews etc. before we paid our deposit.

There may be a few slightly dodgy companies out there, but luckily we've never come across one. We prefer to go with the slightly smaller, family run enterprises, as their hands on tuition and knowledge is excellent and they really do seem to care about making your trip something special.

Janet

A lot depends on where you want to go but we hired on a regular basis from Middlewich Narrowboats, Teddesley and Union Canal Carriers. We were always happy with the boats and service offered. They are family businesses. But the only way to really find a hire boat is to go and look at a few.

I would recommend Napton Narrowboats, lovely boats, well fitted out and very friendly staff at the boatyards, also Black Prince, the boats have an amazing amount of storage even if their tv's are very small!! (not an issue for us as we don't tend to watch tv whilst on our hols).

Julie

Black Prince, the boats have an amazing amount of storage even if their tv's are very small!! Julie

i agree with purplehaze about Black Prince. we had a great week with one of their boats, and they are very clean.

if you are late booking and within a certain timescale, they will give you a discount. (if they have any left)

It might be easier to recommend a particular hirer if you could give some idea of what particular area/canal you were planning to visit.

Ever thought of a week on the Chesterfield. Quiet an beautiful. Tony runs a couple of boats out of West Stockwith.

Lee

Edited to add words to make sense of the post.

Lee

Edited by Lee J

I can recommend Union Canal Carriers at Braunston, their boats are not at the high luxury end, but thay are good solid boats which are well appointed and are always turned out well. They also have an excellent call out system if anything does go wrong.