GlaxoSmithKline's water chiller

Featured Posts

In a Green Briefing, GSK is praised for using a water chiller using GU canal water - see Tech Innovations Cool Data Centers

The company says during the process the temperature of the water rises from between 4-degC and 9-degC, but as the water passes over the waterfall in a thin wide layer some of the heat naturally evaporates. The cascade over the waterfall oxygenates the water in the canal, benefiting the flora and wildlife, and the flow of the water down the canal dissipates the heat quickly.

I was wondering which way the flow of the water is in this stretch of the GU?

Is it this, possibly?.......

Waterfall.jpg

If so it's on the left hand side of the GU as you are heading "downhill" towards Brentford.

Or, of course, on the right, as yoy head North going "uphill".

I don't recall if this premises is Glaxo Smith Kline, but I'm guessing it must be ?

Perhaps one of our Brentford based members can confirm ?

Is it this, possibly?.......

Waterfall.jpg

If so it's on the left hand side of the GU as you are heading "downhill" towards Brentford.

Or, of course, on the right, as yoy head North going "uphill".

I don't recall if this premises is Glaxo Smith Kline, but I'm guessing it must be ?

Perhaps one of our Brentford based members can confirm ?

Yes it is GSK House, I was involved in its construction.

Tim

In a Green Briefing, GSK is praised for using a water chiller using GU canal water - see Tech Innovations Cool Data Centers

The company says during the process the temperature of the water rises from between 4-degC and 9-degC, but as the water passes over the waterfall in a thin wide layer some of the heat naturally evaporates. The cascade over the waterfall oxygenates the water in the canal, benefiting the flora and wildlife, and the flow of the water down the canal dissipates the heat quickly.

I was wondering which way the flow of the water is in this stretch of the GU?

The River Brent which goes in and out of the canal from the bottom of the Hanwell flight, flows South towards the Thames.

However, occasionally I have observed the flow in the Brentford basin going slowly the opposite way and I can't work out how this is possible? Even at high tide the level of the basin is almost always higher than the semi-tidal stretch below Brentford Gauging lock, so in theory this could only happen on a very high tide when the semi-tidal stretch backs up over the weir and into the basin, which I've only seen happen 2 or 3 times in 4 years.

I'm sure it's not just the wind pushing floating surface objects backwards - I've seen underwater plants and litter moving the wrong way too!

I'd be interested in knowing how this is happening.

Edited by blackrose

I would guess that is caused by the sluice behind the island being open. The backwater allows the Brent to bypass the basin so if there were a strong flow going down the river behind the island then the basin would drain 'upwards' towards the top of the island.

I would guess that is caused by the sluice behind the island being open. The backwater allows the Brent to bypass the basin so if there were a strong flow going down the river behind the island then the basin would drain 'upwards' towards the top of the island.

Yes I think that must be it, thanks.