Moorings in Chester and Ellesmere Port

Prof

Featured Posts

Hi folks

In the summer I'm off up the Shroppie to Chester and Ellesmere Port from the Staffs & Worcs. The last time I went up to Chester was in the Late 70s! things may have changed!!

I'm planning on spending a night in Chester and a night at Ellesmere Port; as I recall both have a bit of a reputation for "problems". Can any one advise me on safe moorings in one or both locations.

I realise that many of you consider such thoughts as "woosy" and "pathetic" but in over 46 years of cruising the inland waterways, the experience of many casting adrifts, bangings on roofs and worse, have taught me to have a cautious approach to urban moorings if a peaceful night is required.

Many Thanks

Hi Prof,

At Ellesmere Port, if you drop down the locks you can moor in the lower basin. There is a charge for this but you're basically inside the museum and so are behind the locked gates/fences etc. If you'd like to get off your boat and have a wander around EP then you can ask for the code to the gate around the back to get in and out.

HTH.

I wouldnt moor down at the basin in Chester, the telfords wharehouse pub is great, but, it is on the highway for all the scum from Blacon to rob, vandalise, and all round abuse boaters moored on the basin. I got broken in to at christmas, and have witnessed attacks on other boaters over the years. infact anywhere in town isnt great, with drunks and druggies everywhere.

If you want to be safe stay outside the Cheshire cat, or Trooper pubs in waverton and get the park and ride into Chester, the scum of the city have not ventured out that far yet. you have to watch out for rouge narrowboat "engineers" though, cant mention names but theres one mobile, so called "engineer", in the area that would rob his own granny,if you breakdown becareful !!

enjoy Chester, its a nice place otherwise!

I've stayed overnight in Chester many times in the last few years. I have to say I have never had any trouble. OK, so Saturday nights can be a bit noisy, but I've stayed in the Telford Warehouse basin with no problems. Another spot I've stopped overnight at is just past the bridge with the big chinese restaurant, opposite a sheltered housing block. Again with no problems.

Like anywhere on the canal system these days, nowhere is 100% safe, but in my experience the so-called problem areas (with one or two noatable exceptions) are no worse than any other areas. I've known people have trouble on Nantwich Embankment, and you would think that was as safe as anywhere.

We moored in Chester City centre in February and had no trouble at all. There are some mooring points at the base of the city wall but with no other boats there in February these looked a little isolated so we moored before them just before the Navigation pub ( I think that was what it was called) behind Mecca Bingo.

Chester City centre is well worth a visit.

Have stopped in both Chester (Twice) and Ellesmere Port last year. At Chester moored down in the basin as with previous contributor on the Saturday evening it was a bit noisy fron the Telfords Wherehouse pub but other than that would recommend the mooring. In fact we went in the pub a couple of times during the day it was ok and the beer was excellent. At Ellesmere we stopped just past the gate to the museum without problem athought going to the lower basin did look like a good option.

Hi Prof,

At Ellesmere Port, if you drop down the locks you can moor in the lower basin. There is a charge for this but you're basically inside the museum and so are behind the locked gates/fences etc. If you'd like to get off your boat and have a wander around EP then you can ask for the code to the gate around the back to get in and out.

HTH.

How long have they been charging and how much, as when last there 2006 you got 7 days in the basin at no charge.