JABASCO WATER PUMP

nfo

Featured Posts

I have had a jabasco water pump fitted in my boat. I have noticed that when I have left my boat and returned some 12 to 24 hours later and switched everything back on the pump makes a noise - should this happen - can anyone help. I believed this to be a pressurised system and therefore thought it held pressure until you next used.

I have had a jabasco water pump fitted in my boat. I have noticed that when I have left my boat and returned some 12 to 24 hours later and switched everything back on the pump makes a noise - should this happen - can anyone help. I believed this to be a pressurised system and therefore thought it held pressure until you next used.

If you have a hot water tank it will cool down while you are away and contract, thus lowering the pressure which will have to be built up again as soon as you turn the pump on.

Even so I expect the valves in the pump weep a bit so pressure is lost even if the taps washer do not weep. In short if the pump only turns back on once or twice during the night when you are on the boat there is nothing to worry about. If it turns itself back on (say) every hour or so when no water has been drawn off then you have some kind of leak, but probably back through the pump valves if there is no sign of a leak inside the boat or from the Pressure relief valve that is associated with calorifiers. Personally I would put up with hourly pump running for a few seconds as long as no pipes were leaking.

An accumuator can help with this as well. It's basically a container that follows the pump that compresses air in order to ease sudden pressure drops or 'chattering' of the pump if a tap is only turned on slightly.

But the answer to your basic question is exactly as Tony described - slight presusre loss past valves. Absolutely normal and nothing to worry about assuming you have no leaks.

Regards,

Tony :lol:

I find that initial run up when I switch the pumps on to very comforting. At least I know the pumps are working!

Richard