Mooring at Coventry and Hinckley

stickleback

Featured Posts

Hello. I wondered if anyone has experience of mooring at either of the above? We set off a couple of days ago intending to go to Oxford - and at Braunston suddenly decided to "do" the Ashton as well. So we are now rapidly approaching Hinckley. We wondered about mooring here on the way back? Also we thought a night in Coventry might be good - are the moorings in the town centre secure / safe? All advice welcome!

Stickleback

Hinckley - The moorings at Br 16 are probably the easiest for access to the town, if there's any room on them, but it's possible to get into the side along the stretch between 16 & 17. I've never moored on them myself as I used to moor at Trinity, but never heard of any problems and there always seem to be plenty of boats around.

Coventry City Centre - Nice moorings, I've never had a problem there and the basin is covered by CCTV as well. Worth the trip down.

"The Lime Kilns" at Hinkley has moorings, too. IIRC there's room for about two or three boats. Was a bit muddy when I was there April last year, and the home of dozens of wildfowl - but VERY handy for the pub. (The pub has free WiFi, too)

Well, now on the way to Coventry. The Ashby was a beautiful canal (if a little shallow in places!!) BUT - impossible to moor at Hinckley or Market Bosworth either going up or back - several boats moored on 48 hour moorings which gave every appearance of having been there weeks, and a lot of boats moored leaving gaps of between 10 and 20 feet, meaning a mooring that could accommodate up to perhaps 8 or 10 boats had no spaces once about 6 had moored. OK, we got moored in lovely countryside - but didn't get near a shop or a pub the entire length of the canal.

Perhaps BW signs should read "48 hour mooring max. Please moor within two feet of the next moored boat". Also, it would surely be in the interest of the shops / restaurants of both Market Bosworth and Hinckley to lobby the council to provide more moorings along the canal side - there is heaps of room if nettles, weeds etc. were moved and bollards / rings provided. I would think more people would then moor and use the facilities?

Rant over - it was otherwise a lovely canal. Beautiful scenery and peaceful (especially where we had to moor!!!!!)

Stickleback

I can endorse Coventry basin being good overnight moorings.

We didn't have trouble finding a slot (in August) 2 years ago.

However others have reported finding it quite full. My memory is that if you couldn't get into the basin, then there is probably not too much on offer elsewhere nearby.

I might be wrong though - it was a couple of years back.

Don't forget to count coconuts!

Found a space in Coventry basin - it's pretty full and really a good spot. Lot of noise last night from a group of kids "partying" around the basin, from about 10.00 until around 1.00 a.m I guess - but no problem other than the noise. Enough for one of the boats to leave at first light though.

Wish I'd realised the water point was OUT of the basin - meant a quick manoeuvre this morning and a rush back in case anyone moved onto "our"spot while we were watering!

Lots of coconuts! And one tied around the middle with red and yellow threads ! Reason for this is????!

Just off to see the Cathedral, Spon Street and other historical parts.

Thanks for the recommendation!

Stickleback.

We stayed a couple of nights in Coventry basin a few years ago, there were only two other boats there and one of those was unoccupied.

We found it a bit eerie, and there was quite a bit of distburbance during one evening which we reported to the security patrol people the following morning. Now here is the good bit - The cameras were not being monitored outside Monday to Friday working hours since the City Council changed all the security contracts. :lol:

The basin is useful if you want to visit the City Centre (and there are quite few interesting places to visit), but it is located on the other side of a busy dual carriage way and does not feel part of the centre. Despite there being about ten shop units, only two of them were occupied, and you get the feeling that the people of Coventry have turned their back on the place.

Unfortuneatly as you have said the canal basin is out side of the town centre, when it reopened after a referb a few years ago all the shops were full, but they had high rents and rates and so most have now shut down as there is not much passing trade. There was also a pub/club with live music but I think it got closed down due to the larger louts.

We moored overnight at the Cov Basin recently - same sort of experience - a bit of noise but no aggro.

I've got family in the area and we went out on the town in the evening - ended up a taxi ride away from the basin. We got ourselves a taxi and told the driver we wanted the basin then sat back and chatted. Sometime later we became aware that we were being driven over lots of speed humps in a distinctly residential area. The driver asked us exactly which house we lived in! We had to tell him we were actually on a boat in the basin itself! He did offer to knock a couple of quid off the fare - we went half way with him and knocked a quid off as it was an honest mistake. Thought it was quite funny tho.

Edited cos I forgot to mention the wobbly bridge. There's a pedestrian bridge between the Basin and the town centre and it starts bouncing when you get about two thirds of the way across - tis very disconcerting!

Edited by Ange

LOVED Coventry! Super town, and met some great people at the Basin. Hello to Saul, Plan B, and to Dave & Anna (can't spell your boat!) if you log in to this site! Hope to see you all again!

The launderette was good - but the spin drier ripped the arms off a t shirt! Punk, at my age!!

Stickleback (Andrew)

LOVED Coventry!

Glad you liked it. Spent last night ther myself, mainly to see how my new rescue puppy liked being in a city rather than out in the countryside where we spend most of our time.

It was great to see more boats than usual there and I passed a few more as I was heading out. The canal could do with a bit more depth though.

"The Lime Kilns" at Hinkley has moorings, too. IIRC there's room for about two or three boats. Was a bit muddy when I was there April last year, and the home of dozens of wildfowl - but VERY handy for the pub. (The pub has free WiFi, too)

Warning to first time visitors to "The Lime Kilns". If you moor South of the bridge walk north under the bridge first before ascending to the main road otherwise you will find a barrier between you and the pub! When I found this out it was in an extremely heavy rain shower! :lol: Pub was OK :lol: .

I have moored often in Coventry Basin. Last time there I had to moor up at a "no mooring" spot for a while while I persuaded other moorers to juggle around a bit to make room for a "little-un" (46 feet). All previous occasions no problem whatever. I do admit that, possibly due to the economic downturn,and the closure of some of the shops there, the basin has lost some of the sparkle of a few years back!

• 2 weeks later...
Quite near the basin in Coventry is the transport museum, which is really amazing and could take a full day to do in detail.

Agreed Bill - we had a great day out at the transport museum (they had a Doctor Who exhibition there at the time which we paid for but the rest was free). I couldn't believe how much was there for free.

Agreed Bill - we had a great day out at the transport museum (they had a Doctor Who exhibition there at the time which we paid for but the rest was free). I couldn't believe how much was there for free.

Ditto, well worth the journey. What other place can you spend a full day for so much to see and all for free! (OK the railway museum in York is free too, but you get my drift) :lol:

Ditto, well worth the journey. What other place can you spend a full day for so much to see and all for free! (OK the railway museum in York is free too, but you get my drift) :lol:

If you walk into the centre, go and see Holy Trinity Church in Broadgate. It has an amazing painting of Judgement day. Do the Herbert Art Gallery and St Mary's Hall too. All free.

Richard

In theory the Cathedral is free, but you will be mugged by two old ladies on the way in...