First start of my 1950 Ruston & Hornsby 2VTH

casper ghost

Featured Posts

A bit of work to do on this engine yet. Got to fit an electric start. I hope to fit a flywheel and starter motor off a Volvo 240 as i've got these already, too expensive to do it another way. Got alternator to fit, and water pump as these engines usually had a radiator fitted which cycled with no pump. Then got to cut hole in my boat roof to fit and need to drop the skeg as i've not enough draft for a suitable sized propeller.

My daughter still thinks our Sabb sounds better...

Expect all this will have to wait until finished my brothers boat though. Getting used to marinising industrial engines as we've almost finished my brother's HR2.

. Got to fit an electric start. I hope to fit a flywheel and starter motor off a Volvo 240 as i've got these already, too

Dim question, perhaps --- are you adding the Volvo flywheel somewhere into the mix, or substituting it for the original ? Either way, what sort of machining are you having to do to fit it ? If it's a substitution, aren't you concerned about the lack of mass (I guess) ?

Mike.

This Ruston is to go into my boat, Casper, which at the moment is 43 foot with a single cylinder Sabb 10. I intend one day, hopefully not too distant future, to extend it by approx 10 feet to add a bedroom for my daughter as she sleeps under the front deck now..

Yes i intend to fit the volvo fly wheel onto the shaft, not replace the engines existing flywheel which is massively heavier.. The volvo flywheel is almost the right size for the shaft, which is 2 inch, but not quite. I'll either get it machined larger to fit a coupling or bolt to the pulley wheel or machine to fit with a keyway put into it.