Do any of the boat associations

Smelly

Featured Posts

Niloc - I've just posted something about immigration and population growth on another thread. According to the information I could find online, the number of people migrating from the UK exceeded immigration "for 20 years from the mid-60s" (BBC), and that's despite the large numbers of people coming in from ex-Commonwealth nations during this time. We must have been 'exporting' huge numbers of people. I don't have exact figures but I doubt if the current Eastern European influx has done any more than balance this out, especially as a large proportion of these immigrants appear to be here for a relatively short-term (1-3 years).

The main reason why immigration is seen as more of an issue nowadays is that our own native population has been steadily growing too. If the migrants / immigrants balance each other out then they've not affected average resources / wealth per head in the UK. That's down to all the British people who keep breeding.

Taking a wider view, scarce resources = increasing costs, and a greater willingness to travel in order to seek a better life. It's a global issue, surely, which overrides issues of nationality or race?

I want to go right back to Smelly's encounters with these persons of extreme right wing views and look at the what they are about - they are affluent, apparantly poorly educated, very comfortable with the canal environment and the majority of people on it. Now the only problem for them and it is a relatively easy one to sort out and this is to make all the other people think like them and then they will be in heaven. I usually think of them as insufferable bores or something like that and strive to deminish the quality of life for them while they are in my presence as confronting them only leads to brain damage.

Carl's has stated some real home truths that many of us choose not to recognise and there have been some very elequent perceptions of the social make up of the waterways these days. It's only going to get worse as it becomes more expensive and thus elite. It doesn't mean that we will disappear just that the proportions of social ignorance will increase.

I've recently read in the Mail, that I found in the bottom of the veg box, that a number of local aurthorities are looking into housing homeless 'economic' refugees/immigrants on long term vacant boats in marinas in the Midlands and London areas as everywhere is now full up. Compulsory, owners will get a standard recession fee while in use of £110 a month as I remember.... :lol:

Niloc - I've just posted something about immigration and population growth on another thread. According to the information I could find online, the number of people migrating from the UK exceeded immigration "for 20 years from the mid-60s" (BBC), and that's despite the large numbers of people coming in from ex-Commonwealth nations during this time. We must have been 'exporting' huge numbers of people. I don't have exact figures but I doubt if the current Eastern European influx has done any more than balance this out, especially as a large proportion of these immigrants appear to be here for a relatively short-term (1-3 years).

The main reason why immigration is seen as more of an issue nowadays is that our own native population has been steadily growing too. If the migrants / immigrants balance each other out then they've not affected average resources / wealth per head in the UK. That's down to all the British people who keep breeding.

Taking a wider view, scarce resources = increasing costs, and a greater willingness to travel in order to seek a better life. It's a global issue, surely, which overrides issues of nationality or race?

Guess im old fashioned. Like to be able to talk to my neighbours and understand their language and culture. Why are so many people getting out? Resources are effected by immigration. Ask a school teacher. Some schools can have as many as 10 languages to understand. There are many areas in this country that are populated purely by foreigners. Brown talks about being british and proud,proud of what? I know i have to get used to immigration, dosent mean i have to agree with it.

Guess im old fashioned. Like to be able to talk to my neighbours and understand their language and culture. Why are so many people getting out? Resources are effected by immigration. Ask a school teacher. Some schools can have as many as 10 languages to understand. There are many areas in this country that are populated purely by foreigners. Brown talks about being british and proud,proud of what? I know i have to get used to immigration, dosent mean i have to agree with it.

My street, over the past few years has largely been populated by East Europeans (Polish, in the main) and the elderly.

There has been a great community spirit that the old folk say hasn't been around for years, since the street turned into a buy-to-let hot spot (which is why I bought the house, originally).

Now the East Europeans are moving out and returning to their homeland (where the jobs are) the street is returning to its unsavoury "bed-sit land" atmosphere.

I too like to be able to talk to my neighbour but it's a bit difficult when he's gouching.

What a surprise....scratch a hippy, and all that.

As a non-drinker I've always been welcome, round the camp-fire, on the grounds of "more for us then and can you put us out, if we fall in."

well carl i am astounded,another teetotaler :lol:

TEN is that all??? here in Peterborough we have 83 different languages,in the small square of industrial units where i have my business we have 6 different nationalitys and we all get on really well