Sabb Flywheel

Liam

Featured Posts

Does anybody know the correct procedure for removing the flywheel on a Single 'G' single cylinder engine?

The flywheel is on a taper on the end of the crank shaft, and apparently there's a special Sabb tool which is used to draw the flywheel off which I don't have.

Thanks.

Does anybody know the correct procedure for removing the flywheel on a Single 'G' single cylinder engine?

The flywheel is on a taper on the end of the crank shaft, and apparently there's a special Sabb tool which is used to draw the flywheel off which I don't have.

Thanks.

Did it once, years ago, can't remember the details.

The usual thing is that there are two or sometimes three tapped holes in the front face of the flywheel around the securing nut. A piece of very thick steel plate with holes to match the tapped holes. Either put studs in the tapped holes and tighten the plate with nuts onto the crank end (having first loosened but not removed the nut), or have a large diameter central bolt pushing against the end of the flywheel. Tighten it down as much as you can or dare, then a couple of smart smacks with a decent-sized hammer on the bit which bears onto the crank end should do the trick. Or not. Tapered fittings can be very reluctant to come off if they're a good fit.

If you're struggling, post a pic of the front of the flywheel.

Tim

I'm not very technical when it comes to this sort of thing but...

There's a round plate sort of thing which has the recess for the charging belt. The plate has been removed, exposing the big nut on the crank shaft and 5 smaller holes around it, which, according to the manual, are 5/8". Like Tim says a thick steel plate over the end of the crank shaft, with holes in the correct place will allow these to be tightened to draw the flywheel off... alternatively I've just had a phone call to say that 3 drawers have been left under my engine in the workshop to use.

Catweasel, I have already downloaded the manual but it's pretty useless to someone like me who has to ask their dad what Whitworth is!!

Richard, thanks, if all else fails I shall give them a call this Saturday when I'm in front of the engine with my mechanic friend (who is not used to boaty engines).

Thanks all.