G&S traffic lights

Keeping Up

Featured Posts

I'm glad to see that comnmon sense has prevailed, and that the traffic lights at the swing bridges on the G&S are to be switched on again.

However can anyone tell me what is the correct procedure when the lights at one of the high-level bridges remain at red both ways? A couple of years ago this situation arose for us. As we approached the bridge, we saw that the lights were red so we waited. In fact we waited for 10 minutes, by which time there were 3 other narrowboats behind waiting us, as well as 2 narrowboats waiting to come through the other way. Presumably the keeper was at lunch, or busy.

At this point a cruiser came up behind us and went straight through without pausing, so we and the boats behind us all followed him through, after which the boats that were going the other way all set off under the bridge. The lights were still at red as we disappeared out of sight.

What should everybody have done in these circumstances?

I'm glad to see that comnmon sense has prevailed, and that the traffic lights at the swing bridges on the G&S are to be switched on again.

However can anyone tell me what is the correct procedure when the lights at one of the high-level bridges remain at red both ways? A couple of years ago this situation arose for us. As we approached the bridge, we saw that the lights were red so we waited. In fact we waited for 10 minutes, by which time there were 3 other narrowboats behind waiting us, as well as 2 narrowboats waiting to come through the other way. Presumably the keeper was at lunch, or busy.

At this point a cruiser came up behind us and went straight through without pausing, so we and the boats behind us all followed him through, after which the boats that were going the other way all set off under the bridge. The lights were still at red as we disappeared out of sight.

What should everybody have done in these circumstances?

I would have thought do like the cruiser, take the initiative, so long as there is no obvious obstruction, and you go through carefully and the boats coming the other way are not about to do the same thing, I can't see a problem.

I will now go and sit in a darkened corner with a tin hat and wait for the flack to fly. :lol:

What should happen is that BW should ensure that their bridge is manned, and that said man (or woman) is actually awake and paying attention. If the bridge is not manned they should TURN THE LIGHT OFF. If it's a high level bridge you can "proceed with caution at your own risk" Otherwise phone the bridge keeper.

By-law No. 25

Where a signal light is in operation to indicate when a moveable bridge is open for vessels to pass the master of a vessel aproaching such moveable bridge shall not permit his vessel to proceed beyond the said signal light unless it is showing green and shall not permit his vessel so to proceed whilst such light is showing red

From BWs covering letter,

Please note that we take adherence to our by-laws very seriously and will enforce against all infringements, including those arising out of failure to act in accordance with the traffic lights.

So there you have it. What I would say though is that as well as us sticking by the rules, we should make sure that BW and the bridge keepers do so as well. If you find that they are not operating by their own rules, eg not using the lights or not turning them off when the bridge is unmanned, then I would phone Gloucester Lock (which should always be manned) and complain.

We moved to the G and S last year, with the lights decommissioned. What a farce. A waste of my IWA subs arguing about these. OK, those who are used to the system were confused, but never having had a system we just did what we wanted until we got a red light.

I had a very long argument with the IWA bloke. I explained I was

* an experienced boater

*chairman of the SCCS

*on the Inland Waterways Freight Group

*an IWA Member

*Advisor to the HLF on inland waterways

*a consultant on leisure and freight on inland waterways

and that I didn't see a problem with no signals

Fight the battles worth winning: this one wasn't

What I would say though is that as well as us sticking by the rules, we should make sure that BW and the bridge keepers do so as well. If you find that they are not operating by their own rules, eg not using the lights or not turning them off when the bridge is unmanned, then I would phone Gloucester Lock (which should always be manned) and complain.

That makes sense. Where there are rules, BW should certainly be made to stick to them.

What should happen is that BW should ensure that their bridge is manned, and that said man (or woman) is actually awake and paying attention. If the bridge is not manned they should TURN THE LIGHT OFF. If it's a high level bridge you can "proceed with caution at your own risk" Otherwise phone the bridge keeper.

snipped bit

Last time we were on the G&S we approached one of the low bridges, hovered mid stream for a bit, blew horn a few times (twin car air horns) Pulled over to bank and put wife ashore. What did she find, 1 fast asleep bridge keeper in his little hut.