A year's lease

Grace and Favour

Featured Posts

Hi chaps, (& chappettes of course)

I've spent a couple of hours searching the forum and haven't found what I'm looking for, (although it may well be lurking in the written shadows) - so I thought I'd ask you.

We have intended for some time to sell our house, buy a boat and join the ranks of liveaboards - -

Well - - we've just sold our house, (very much quicker than anticipated) and the desire is to lease a narrowboat for six months whilst we get other elements of our life sorted - and then go looksee and buy our Boat . . .

We need to stay near Huddersfield / Brighouse / Mirfield / Halifax at the moment (work requires it!) - - - and wondered if anyone could give us a steer whether 'leased boats' are available please?

As this is the very first day of my enquiries, I have to say that I have considered few routes to follow yet . . . I guess that I could enquire at local marinas to see whether 'rental boats' are available, ditto with even the holiday hire businesses (albeit not at holiday hire rates!)

There may well, of course, be a number of small businesses / individuals whom may be in the market - -

So I thought the best place to start my search would be amongst the distilled knowledge and experience of this Forum . . .

I thank you for your observations and suggestions in advance

Hi chaps, (& chappettes of course)

I've spent a couple of hours searching the forum and haven't found what I'm looking for, (although it may well be lurking in the written shadows) - so I thought I'd ask you.

We have intended for some time to sell our house, buy a boat and join the ranks of liveaboards - -

Well - - we've just sold our house, (very much quicker than anticipated) and the desire is to lease a narrowboat for six months whilst we get other elements of our life sorted - and then go looksee and buy our Boat . . .

We need to stay near Huddersfield / Brighouse / Mirfield / Halifax at the moment (work requires it!) - - - and wondered if anyone could give us a steer whether 'leased boats' are available please?

As this is the very first day of my enquiries, I have to say that I have considered few routes to follow yet . . . I guess that I could enquire at local marinas to see whether 'rental boats' are available, ditto with even the holiday hire businesses (albeit not at holiday hire rates!)

There may well, of course, be a number of small businesses / individuals whom may be in the market - -

So I thought the best place to start my search would be amongst the distilled knowledge and experience of this Forum . . .

I thank you for your observations and suggestions in advance

You could try but I don't think it will be any cheaper than renting a small flat. There will not be many boats for lease around your (our) way. You could try Brian at Shepley Bridge marina or Shire Cruisers but you can't expext them to rent out a boat for less than they can get as holiday hire unless their boolings are very thin.

I think it will be a struggle to find one around here.

It's a shame that this isn't a bit more finished-

104098_1.jpg

It's in Mirfield on a free mooring and as being sitting there for over a year!

Since we can't get anybody to buy it maybe the owners should consider earning some revenue from it! :lol:

http://www.apolloduck.co.uk/feature.phtml?id=104098

I think we will be taking the best offer made for it at this rate!

I can't help thinking - wouldn't it be better to just take the plunge and buy a boat now, even if its not the perfect boat for you, you won't lose as much money as you would if you rented one. Seriously, the best way to find out if a boat (the fit out and hull type) suits you is to live on it - there are some good deals out there. Then with what you have learnt, you can buy your dream boat.

To rent a boat is actually quite expensive to do, if the rental firm is legit, then they will be paying for a more expensive license, so more often than not renting a boat can be as expensive or more expensive than renting a flat.

For instance anarrowboat might cost you as much as £800pcm to rent - thats £9600 in a year. if you bought a boat for £25k and sold it a year later for £20k to sell quickly, someone would get a bargain and you'd still be less out of pocket than you would if you'd rented.

If it's cheap, be suspicious, we know of at least one boat rental firm out there that is not as it seems - boaters have been ripped off, 'boats' are being advertised that don't even belong to the firm and are not available for rental, (it's a similar scam to the ones that have been happening on gumtree with flats), so, if you want to rent a boat, please check with British Waterways that they are genuine and don't hand over any cash until you are absolutely sure that everything is above board.

Edited by Lady Muck

I might have an idea!

We are currently repainting the boat featured here with the wheelhouse- (The interior shots are of it too.)

http://www.ledgardbridge.com/html/more_info.html

It is going to eventually be for sale for about £60K

But it will be empty until it sells on a very cheap mooring in Mirfield.

I could ask the owner if he might consider a short term lease and maybe you might take to it and consider buying it too.

Edited by Gary Peacock

Mmmm - - already some sage advice methinks!

Please accept my sincere thanks for the speedy and useful responses from Alan, Lady M & Gary . . I/we have indeed taken notice of what you've 'said'. - and, of course, it all makes sense . .

Gary - - I'd like to have a serious think about your suggestion - - and, when SWMBO returns from work, will show her the link you've provided -

I'll pm you later methinks . .

Hmm food for thought!

You could try but I don't think it will be any cheaper than renting a small flat. There will not be many boats for lease around your (our) way. You could try Brian at Shepley Bridge marina or Shire Cruisers but you can't expext them to rent out a boat for less than they can get as holiday hire unless their boolings are very thin.

Brian at Shepley Bridge has as far as I am aware closed his hire business as he has been getting fewer and fewer hires over the last years and slowly selling off his boats.

just to say i was in almost the same position a few months ago and looked around and found a few people renting out boats and nearly did so however i came across my "dragon" at a good price and am now living on "my own" boat. no regrets and am not spending dead money renting

to be honest (for me) it was the best thing i did and would do it again like a shot

its your circumstances but would advise you seriously look at this option