Last minute butterflies

Jason G

Featured Posts

Hi to all,

After searching around we have found a boat that we would like to put an offer in and get surveyed. It is an unfinished project (a sailaway with galley and bathroom and temporary furniture). Liverpoolboat from 2003 with a beta marine engine. Checked it has an RCD, CE plate, BSC and made plans for finishing it off.

What else do I need to think about? Am I allowed to place a link for the boat on the forum?

Jason

Hi to all,

After searching around we have found a boat that we would like to put an offer in and get surveyed. It is an unfinished project (a sailaway with galley and bathroom and temporary furniture). Liverpoolboat from 2003 with a beta marine engine. Checked it has an RCD, CE plate, BSC and made plans for finishing it off.

What else do I need to think about? Am I allowed to place a link for the boat on the forum?

Jason

All the fun your'e gonna have! :lol: and spending loads of money :lol:

I believe a link would be most welcome :lol:

Edited to add. Make sure you can get a mooring before completing your purchase.

Edited by johnjo

Just a note of warning, Jason.

If you haven't actually put a bid in for the boat yet, by placing a link identifying it, you will be bringing it

to everybody else's attention on the internet.

You might find you suddenly have some competition and the price goes up.

Just a thought..

Well I'll take the risk - We've let a few boats slip through our fingers as we have wanted to make the right decision and are unwilling to rush into anything.

http://www.bartonmarina.co.uk/p5_1_1.htm is the page - Narrow Escape (original eh! )

We have checked out moorings with mercia and barton - both have some spaces or winter moorings.

Try to find out how long it has been for sale, that with the survey may help to get the price.down.

Good luck Sue

Seems a nice boat - can't fault it.

Why not get a survey and see what the surveyor picks up ?

The hull is only three years old. Liverpool Boats is a known quality.

What are you worried about - anything specific ?

Just get the surveyor to check the hull to make sure it has been well protected and hasn't

suffered from any pitting etc if its been sitting on a landline.

Nothing specific that worries me except spending large amounts of cash!! Just want to make sure we end up with something we are happy with. The survey is a given and any probs can be used for negotiating. I guess I am just getting a little nervous and want some opinions from people without a vested interest and more knowledge than I.

Jason

I am sure that it will be OK as you are having a full survey, maybe a check on servicing and bottom blacking would be a good idea.

Blacking is usually done every two years (as a guide).

Good luck with it her.

Edit: just had a look at the link have removed most of original post owing to date confusion she is three years old. :lol:

Edited by bottle

Nothing specific that worries me except spending large amounts of cash!! Just want to make sure we end up with something we are happy with. The survey is a given and any probs can be used for negotiating. I guess I am just getting a little nervous and want some opinions from people without a vested interest and more knowledge than I.

I don't have years of knowledge with NBs, however my advice would be, spend a couple of hours on her with a flask and some sandwiches, get the feel of her. Think about things like pumpout v cassette, type of heating, hot water, does she have a chlorifier and if you're still comfortable go for it.

Like others have said, she looks and sounds OK and you have to make a decision at some point or you'll never get there.

Ask around for a good surveyor, the one we used, I now realise, was next to useless, but the boat is OK but I could have done with a more indepth survey, our surveyor wouldn't lift a carpet or actually try any of the fixtures including the engine. Ask your surveyor BEFORE commisioning him what he will and won't do. Survey should cost around £500 and if done properly is well worth the money.

You can always put a bid in 'subject to survey' with a small deposit, that way it's reserved for you until you see the survey. Start with a bid lower than the asking, you can always go up, but rarely down unless something is found to be wrong.

Hope this is of help, good luck.

Edited by johnjo

The cash outlay is indeed a big step. I had to pay for some remedial work (which was my own free choice) and then the licence and mooring fees as well as insurance. It was painful to keep going to the bank. Having said that I feel I did do the right thing and am glad I bought a boat of my own.

All I can say is just keep looking it over to see if you can spot any potential snags in the waiting. What kind of electrical system is there? Does the wiring look professional, neat and tidy? Does the engine run well? I'm sure it will be fine, though.

Did LB supply the boat as a lined, plumbed, wired sailaway ??

Often the thing to focus on is the work carried out by the previous owner.

In my experience, although boatbuilders are not perfect and will often cut corners, most of the

problems I've seen with fitting out come from the well-meaning DIY'er boater.

A friend of mine bought a boat in a similar situation/age.

It had minimal blacking and some very amateurish fitting out on the plumbing and electrics.

Hi Jason

I bought a 2006 Liverpool boat last summer. Went through the same sort of angst which was exacerbated by various links on this forum which were disparaging about Liverpool boats. However I have never regretted the purchase for a minute, feel more affection for the boat than any house I've ever lived in and have had an incredible amount of fun.

Go for it.

Thanks for feedback and after taking NB W's advice I had a good look at the fit out - it was very amateurish (owner not Liverpool boats) with electric sockets that moved when switch was pressed and light covers removed where cupboard doors snagged on the fittings. Areas where the panelling didn't meet the bulkheads. The panels were not sanded down and it left me wondering what was the state of things behind the panels? Coupled with the fact that I had made a special 90 mile journey (one way) and the marina manager? didn't show up and so I was unable to start the engine or test the shower etc.

We walked away unimpressed but thankful that I had had some key advice. There are still 2 more promising boats that we are looking at.

Jason

Edited by Jason G

with electric sockets that moved when switch was pressed and light covers removed where cupboard doors snagged on the fittings. Areas where the panelling didn't meet the bulkheads.

Certainly seems like lack of attention to detail. The reason the sockets move is because the back boxes are designed to be fitted to plaster board which is 12mm thick, most boat linings are 9mm so the back boxes don't tighten up fully when the cover is screwed on. I stuck plastic shims to the back of the Yellow clips to get over this problem, off cuts from cable ties cut the right length did the trick with a dab of super glue.

Things like the cupboard doors snagging fittings doesn't sound too good either. Like you suspect and rightly so, what's the work like you can't see?

Wise to walk away I think :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

After carefully searching for a year we found the perfect boat. Two years later we sold because we had found the perfect boat. 18 months after that we ??? You will learn a million things after you live on your boat for a while. Don't expect your first boat to be just right. Our third boat of 7 years was perfect until last week when Lisa saw a better one :lol: . I hope you love the boating life as we do.

Hi. We were in a similar situation to you, and pretty nervous about finally putting the"money on the table". In my(albeit limited) experience the key is to get a really good surveyor who'll put your mind at rest. We used a guy (no financial recompense here....) who was brilliant - we were able to explore around the hull while in dry dock, walk all round the boat during the survey, ask any questions - fantastic. The guy even takes 80+ photos and puts them on CD ROM for your perusal on top of the survey and safety cert. He told us about everything: heating, wiring, lx, value... you name it. He'll even take phone calls after the survey if you have any nagging doubts (as long as its not during Coronation Street!) No worries, and it really puts your mind at rest. Best of luck, and I hope you enjoy your boat as much as we intend to ours! :lol:

The Missus have been looking for a narrow boat for about 18 months. We have now found the boat we want. kilravock can you please let us know which surver you you used as you seemed pleased with him

Thank you.

Edited by Ray T