Historic markings

Teggles

Featured Posts

Certain previously pagan symbols of Earth and constellation worship (the pentangle springs to mind) were changed to Devil worship to bring all under the ultimate 'cloak' of any chosen religion. If a woman used plants and herbs to ease a sickness, she was denounced a witch, anything associated with the natural order of the world and its content, was classified demonic, doubtless some flowers became symbolic for just that reason.

Derek

Surely that is true only of Christianity - in pagen cultures and the Eastern religions aren't women who use plants and herbs to ease sickness honoured? Isn't Christianity the religion that historically created demons, devils and evil out of previously natural and harmless (perhaps even creative and progressive)practises and knowledge - and indeed is still doing so - look at creationism.

Don't forget that to etch it on a church or house the builders would be using whatever tools they had to hand, and that design was simple yet iconic.

Most of the marks, etched on the stones and beams, of old buildings and structures were done by illiterate craftsmen.

Their deepest meaning was "I did this, pay me please."

The transformation of the "Masons" from a craftsmen's guild, to a silly boys club, with "secrets" has turned a simple worker's signature into another daft myth.

Edited by carlt

Surely that is true only of Christianity - in pagen cultures and the Eastern religions aren't women who use plants and herbs to ease sickness honoured? Isn't Christianity the religion that historically created demons, devils and evil out of previously natural and harmless (perhaps even creative and progressive)practises and knowledge - and indeed is still doing so - look at creationism.

Yes, to the first question (at least in my mind), but any religion will need its antichrist/devil/dragon/kraken and associated myths to support its basis. The Aztecs thought that giving sacrifices to the SunGod would - like all sacrifices - appease that God and save their crops from decimation by drought, flood or fire. The tempests and galactic activities of the eons during which mankind has survived on this planet were incompehensible to mans understanding of what made things tick, they knew little if anything of planetary movements, of solar cycles, the causes of tectonic plate shifts and volcanic eruptions. The people clamoured for reasons for the catastrophes they suffered, and needed some explanation from the leader of their social order - so they created their Gods. Creationism, it's still going on. We are the Gods now, with our acclaimed ability to save the planet from frying by forking out more for fossil fuels, and believing in anthropological global warming - thereby having to pay the piper - while skeptics are labelled denialists and nut cases. Technically we are more advanced in our understanding of the World and the Galaxies around us, but none the less, if truth threatens a doctrine, it will be actively fought against with hype and hysteria. Ultimately, as always, power and money are at the root of all glory.

Derek

Most of the marks, etched on the stones and beams, of old buildings and structures were done by illiterate craftsmen.

The transformation of the "Masons" from a craftsmen's guild, to a silly boys club, with "secrets" has turned a simple worker's signature into another daft myth.

Absolutely! Pay by the mark, and for corn - on the 'Nails' outside the exchanges.

Lord knows I've done that often enough :lol: Sometimes the only way to get people to rember that youve done the job is to threaten to scribble all over it :lol:

I think that was 'Ye Olde leg pulle' :lol:

Yes, I know - but I can't miss an opportunity like that to be a smartarse can I. How often do you get to use a word like trochoid? Let alone hypertrochoid or hypotrochoid.

Richard

I feel faint with excitement...

I know what you mean, it doesn't look quite right but I'm not sure that it is actually wrong (or is it).

Where's Lynn Truss when you need her..

Richard

Ooooooooooh!! It's wrong!!! It can be "no-one" or "no one". The apostrophe goes where you took something out.

Dammit he got me!

Where's Lynn Truss when you need her..

Richard

Ooooooooooh!! It's wrong!!! It can be "no-one" or "no one". The apostrophe goes where you took something out.

Dammit he got me!

You're absolutely right....edited accordingly.

Thanks for all the replies. Some interesting views, all valuable and useful with some querky ideas about basic grammar, but that is for another thread. The Magdalene Rose is something I will do some more research on - thanks Kez. The next time you are in an old building take a close look at the wood/stone work, they maybe faint marks, daisy wheels a V or W scratched into the surface.