Lighting comparisons and observations

Nickhlx

Featured Posts

Hi,

Yes, agree with you and will probably end up and "bite the bullet", replace all the cabin downlighters with LEDS, and have some CFLs in lamps with shades on to "warm them up a bit" for a bit more general light- more experimenting to be done..

It won't be long before LEDs are even brighter and a more pleasing light to the eye - I saw in France a couple of weeks ago that MR16s etc are available with multi-coloured LEDs in a fitting, presumably to give a fuller spectrum of light - quite inexpensive as well - probably in the UK too but not seen them yet...

Nick

Hello,

There will be a display of LED/SMD lighting in the window of Pennine Cruisers at Skipton over the Skipton Festival at the begining of next month. If you are in the area you could have a look. They are the ones I fitted to my boat and am really happy with.

Matty

Matty said:

There will be a display of LED/SMD lighting in the window of Pennine Cruisers at Skipton over the Skipton Festival at the begining of next month. If you are in the area you could have a look. They are the ones I fitted to my boat and am really happy with.

Oh, thanks for that Matty. I would never have thought that Pennine would be a place to look for LEDs. I'll pop across and have a look since I'm going to need something for my new barge and need to get ideas.

Roger

Matty said:

Oh, thanks for that Matty. I would never have thought that Pennine would be a place to look for LEDs. I'll pop across and have a look since I'm going to need something for my new barge and need to get ideas.

Roger

I have LED down lighters in the lounge, the predecessor of this

http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/cool-white-bulb...886b97cb634635f

and bulb replacement in back cabin oil light

http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/utri3-25watt-ma...886b97cb634635f

Bed head lights similar to this

http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/capsule-acdc-co...886b97cb634635f

Outside deck lights

http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/42mm-leds-festo...886b97cb634635f

Most of mine are older versions of these and I suspect thee are even more efficient with a greater light output. Things are moving very fast in this field.

I don't have regulated supply to them but I do have an inverter and I am told that this is what is eating the spikes.

Matty said:

Roger

Have you looked at this site on ebay? http://stores.ebay.co.uk/ledehk168 there are plenty to choose from and the prices do not seen excessive plus postage and packing is free. My experience with buying from Hong Kong has been good, delivery in under a week. :lol:

Mac Man

Mac Man suggested;

Have you looked at this site on ebay? http://stores.ebay.co.uk/ledehk168 there are plenty to choose from and the prices do not seen excessive plus postage and packing is free. My experience with buying from Hong Kong has been good, delivery in under a week. :lol:

Thanks Brian (Ditchcrawler) and Mac Man. I have used some of these type of bulb replacements before in my motorhome that I got from C.A.K. Tanks. Those were rather a cold light, but acceptable for the purpose. What I'm looking for is suitable complete light fittings, nice brass/chrome surround and a good warm light, preferably in 24V (as that is what the new domestics voltage will be; if not I can put two 12V in series). I would also prefer them to have their own internal voltage regulator (as were the C.A.K ones on the mh) if possible.

Interesting Mac Man that you've had good eBay experience on the supply of Hong Kong items as I've always felt a bit wary of eBaying from there as it would be more difficult to sort out if anything went wrong. Perhaps I've been over cautious.

Roger

More so if a fridge was invented that used a quarter of the energy.

Depends on how many portholes you use :lol:

Julynian,

I wonder if position, side hatches/doors and colour of internal paint scheme may make a bit of a difference as well.

I believe 2cv's are pretty bright inside with the roof rolled up ...or is that a Kia... or am i getting my off topic threads confused...told you I was new to this ...sorry :lol:

Chas

Mac Man suggested;

Thanks Brian (Ditchcrawler) and Mac Man. I have used some of these type of bulb replacements before in my motorhome that I got from C.A.K. Tanks. Those were rather a cold light, but acceptable for the purpose. What I'm looking for is suitable complete light fittings, nice brass/chrome surround and a good warm light, preferably in 24V (as that is what the new domestics voltage will be; if not I can put two 12V in series). I would also prefer them to have their own internal voltage regulator (as were the C.A.K ones on the mh) if possible.

Interesting Mac Man that you've had good eBay experience on the supply of Hong Kong items as I've always felt a bit wary of eBaying from there as it would be more difficult to sort out if anything went wrong. Perhaps I've been over cautious.

Roger

Well some of the ones I used are rated 8-30 volts so must have some kind of regulation.

from ultraled site

Cool White Colour

Includes voltage driver (safe to run at 8v to 30v)

10 Ultra High Brightness Cool White Leds

120' Beam Angle (Wide)

Input voltage: 12V DC (8-30V DC Max)

Power Consumption 220 ma

Light output: 25W

Size: 33mm / H9mm (10mm larger than 6 led version)

One year warranty

I think you will find better choice if you buy fittings with filliment lamps and then swop them to LEDs. I have tried 2 X 12 volt ones in series and it wasn't a great success to say the least.

Mac Man suggested;

Roger

Hi Roger,

In one instance I purchased a digital voltmeter which failed in a couple of hours. I contacted the supplier about returning the faulty one. In 24 hours I had an email saying a replacement had been dispatched and not to bother returning the faulty one. Hows that for service, it arrived within the week. There are some bl**dy good traders out there on ebay.

Mac Man

• 3 weeks later...
Mac Man suggested;

Roger

Hi Roger,

Stumbled across this site http://shop.ebay.co.uk/merchant/campercare#item300312995194. They have a good range of LED lamps and fittings. Worth a look.

Mac Man