LLangollen

Kieron

Featured Posts

Hi All,

Thanks to the many people who have replied to my basic beginner questions, you'll be glad to know I'm drawing ever nearer in my quest to organise my brothers canal stage do!.

First favourite the Caldon took a hit when I found out that one of the tunnels is so low you can only get smaller boats through?, hiring 2 or 3 4 person boats could work out too pricy...

The second is the Llangollen, with a day out with jjraftcanow.com, or somewhere between Llangollen and Ellesmere doing a side trip to Rednal for the karting.

Anyway on to my question, can any of you folks recommend a good hire company for the Llangollen canal, hopefully as close as possible to the canal itself as most people can only make 3 days which I imagine would be a push to run up the canal and back down in somewhere between mid-April to early May?

Many thanks

Kieron

Hi All,

Thanks to the many people who have replied to my basic beginner questions, you'll be glad to know I'm drawing ever nearer in my quest to organise my brothers canal stage do!.

First favourite the Caldon took a hit when I found out that one of the tunnels is so low you can only get smaller boats through?, hiring 2 or 3 4 person boats could work out too pricy...

The second is the Llangollen, with a day out with jjraftcanow.com, or somewhere between Llangollen and Ellesmere doing a side trip to Rednal for the karting.

Anyway on to my question, can any of you folks recommend a good hire company for the Llangollen canal, hopefully as close as possible to the canal itself as most people can only make 3 days which I imagine would be a push to run up the canal and back down in somewhere between mid-April to early May?

Many thanks

Kieron

Alvechurch.....based at Wrenbury...on the Llangollen Canal

Edited by Night Hawk

There is Anglo Welsh at Trevor (yes it is a place!) which is at the Llangollen side of the Pontycyllte aqueduct (the big one) so from there there is almost the entire length of the Llangollen to cruise and just a few miles to Llangollen. Worth a visit and depending on when you go you could always have a trip down the picturesque Dee valley by steam train to Carrog and back.

For the Llangollen, from memory:

Black prince/ marine cruises at Chirk, Anglo Welsh at Trevor, Viking Afloat at Whitchurch, Maestermyn/ Welsh Lady at Whittington, Canal Time Canaltime (or are they just t/share?) at Ellesmere or Alvechurch at Wrenbury.

There may be others I've missed

All on the wonderful WWW!

irst favourite the Caldon took a hit when I found out that one of the tunnels is so low you can only get smaller boats through?

The only tunnel on the Caldon that presents a problem is at Froghall. This tunnel gives you access to Froghall basin which means about fifty yards of canal, a lock and a mooring basin. You certainly don't miss out any of the canal proper and it is a very scenic bit of canl (well after you leave Stoke). Black Prince hire base quite handy at Etruria.

Completely agree with RichardH, i have used Chas Hardern for years (my parents and grandparents also spoke very highly of him).

they are a small family buisness with around 6 boats, Chas fits the boats him self (to a very good standard with help from his right hand man Chris). there prices are very competative and i can vouch for there fantastic customer service (i class Chas and his family as friends now).

Chas will always try and do you the best deal possible for short breaks and the like, you can get to the LLangollen in a couple of hours from his base on the shroppie.

if i were to recommend any hire company in that area it will always be Cha Hardern (and most certainly not the BIG multi based compaines).

give him a call, he lives onsite and is always happy to help and show you round his boats should you wish (p.s if you smile nicely at his other half "linday" you may even get a nice cuppa!!)

01829 732 595

Nik

There is Anglo Welsh at Trevor (yes it is a place!) which is at the Llangollen side of the Pontycyllte aqueduct (the big one) so from there there is almost the entire length of the Llangollen to cruise and just a few miles to Llangollen. Worth a visit and depending on when you go you could always have a trip down the picturesque Dee valley by steam train to Carrog and back.

I've not hired from Anglo Welsh there, but theire boats look to be well maintained and nicely fitted from what I could tell having a butchers at one of the fleet they had for sale. The staff are friendly and helpful, and did a grand job of my 200 hour service. http://www.anglowelsh.co.uk/

Completely agree with RichardH, i have used Chas Hardern for years (my parents and grandparents also spoke very highly of him).

they are a small family buisness with around 6 boats, Chas fits the boats him self (to a very good standard with help from his right hand man Chris). there prices are very competative and i can vouch for there fantastic customer service (i class Chas and his family as friends now).

Chas will always try and do you the best deal possible for short breaks and the like, you can get to the LLangollen in a couple of hours from his base on the shroppie.

if i were to recommend any hire company in that area it will always be Cha Hardern (and most certainly not the BIG multi based compaines).

give him a call, he lives onsite and is always happy to help and show you round his boats should you wish (p.s if you smile nicely at his other half "linday" you may even get a nice cuppa!!)

01829 732 595

Nik

Here here!!!