Vent for Fitting Gas hob and Oven

Johnymac

Featured Posts

I am about to fit a SpinFlo Triplex LPG gas hob and oven in a Kruiser. It is required that a vent to the outside be placed at the lowest point of the Oven cubicle. This is about 150mm above the waterline. How do I do this and stop water entering. Thanks.

With Spinflo ovens you do need to follow the ventilation requirements carefully for your particular model, not because of gas leaks (these are dealt with as noted above by the BSS regulations) but to ensure correct burning. The installation instructions for my oven (an OV 90000) state:

“This appliance must be installed into an aperture, sealed off at either side in order to prevent draughts from adjoining cupboards/vents. Ensure that air vents and gas escape holes are kept clear, holes for cables and pipes must be sized to minimize air leakage between compartments. Under no circumstances should the ventilation hole exceed 850mm2 or other low level ventilation located in the compartment, including vents in kickboards. Low level vents in adjacent compartments are permitted.”

If you fail to follow the ventilation instructions carefully you may well find that the oven flame lifts off.

Edited by koukouvagia

With Spinflo ovens you do need to follow the ventilation requirements carefully for your particular model, not because of gas leaks (these are dealt with as noted above by the BSS regulations) but to ensure correct burning. The installation instructions for my oven (an OV 90000) state:

“This appliance must be installed into an aperture, sealed off at either side in order to prevent draughts from adjoining cupboards/vents. Ensure that air vents and gas escape holes are kept clear, holes for cables and pipes must be sized to minimize air leakage between compartments. Under no circumstances should the ventilation hole exceed 850mm2 or other low level ventilation located in the compartment, including vents in kickboards. Low level vents in adjacent compartments are permitted.”

If you fail to follow the ventilation instructions carefully you may well find that the oven flame lifts off.

Thanks for that. With reference to the BSS then, how do you make the installation safest.

Thanks for that. With reference to the BSS then, how do you make the installation safest.

It’s all there in the BSS regulations. The whole emphasis of the BSS is to ensure that leaks never occur and recommends, for example, that regular use is made of a bubble tester. Hence it doesn’t comment on how to vent leaking gas from a cooker. The scheme simply checks that the installation is sound and leakproof.

If in any doubt get the system checked professionally.

Welcome to the forum, BTW.

It’s all there in the BSS regulations. The whole emphasis of the BSS is to ensure that leaks never occur and recommends, for example, that regular use is made of a bubble tester. Hence it doesn’t comment on how to vent leaking gas from a cooker. The scheme simply checks that the installation is sound and leakproof.

If in any doubt get the system checked professionally.

Welcome to the forum, BTW.

Thanks for that info. I will reconfigure the existing vent that airates for the present hob to the bottom of the new sealed compartment for the oven. When fitting a Bubble tester in the gas bund have you any hints to make it user friendly? At present the (French) gas bottle has a regulater and gauge fitted then a flexible hose up to the permanent gas line?

Thanks.........I really appreciate reading the really practical hints on the forums. JM :lol:

When fitting a Bubble tester in the gas bund have you any hints to make it user friendly? At present the (French) gas bottle has a regulater and gauge fitted then a flexible hose up to the permanent gas line?

Thanks.........I really appreciate reading the really practical hints on the forums. JM :lol:

The BSS gives a recommended configuration. The set up in this picture shows how it all fits together in the gas locker on my boat. Again, I can't emphasize enough the importance of following the BSS regulations to the letter. I bought the cut off valve (yellow), the regulator, the change-over valve and the high pressure hoses all as a single unit.

gaslocker.jpg

The BSS gives a recommended configuration. The set up in this picture shows how it all fits together in the gas locker on my boat. Again, I can't emphasize enough the importance of following the BSS regulations to the letter. I bought the cut off valve (yellow), the regulator, the change-over valve and the high pressure hoses all as a single unit.

gaslocker.jpg

Thanks again K. As they say a photo is worth 1000 words. I will now work out a suitable config for our boat. I will check on the web to find suitable packages bearing in mind they are to fit the european situation. I will certainly take care to follow oven install instructions along with the BSS regulations. Trust you have a good boating season. JM

• 1 month later...

Just want to be sure I've got this right (and that my Spinflo is correctly installed):

- You don't have to provide a vent to outside, since its only to cover the case of gas leaks, which are already covered by BSS.

- You do need to provide a vent of the correct size for correct operation, but it could be to inside the boat.

Chris

Just want to be sure I've got this right (and that my Spinflo is correctly installed):

- You don't have to provide a vent to outside, since its only to cover the case of gas leaks, which are already covered by BSS.

- You do need to provide a vent of the correct size for correct operation, but it could be to inside the boat.

Chris

Yes, that's correct. Too big a vent - or hole in the bottom of the cabinet where the gas pipe enters - will make the flame lift off and too small a hole will cause the flame to go out.