Trojan Batteries

Nickhlx

Featured Posts

I wasn't aware you were talking about second hand batteries at 25 quid each. I thought someone was considering going out buying new Delphi Freedoms. At 25 quid each I can't fault it, as long as they're not faulty.

Changing those batteries on a regular basis is what is supposed to happen, once they've been used!

Gibbo

My understanding is that they are ex' cash point machine back-up batteries. They are changed every year irrespective of use and have (in the most) never been used in anger and spent all of their life being trickle charged.

The ones that Vince supplied to me are actually stickered up as "Delphi Freedom 2000 Marine" (although I think one battery is the same as another in the Freedom range)

Famm 2v traction - cant find these on the web - was it "Fiamm"

Thanks,

Nick

Yes sorry it is Fiamm (pronounced Fam). I spoke to chap called David at powercell and the bank size was 720Ah!!!!

:lol: 575 was the cell height in mm. Big mofo's they are :lol: with a price tag to match but pretty much the best thing you can get for the job (not sure if gibbo/chris will agree though) :lol:

Yes sorry it is Fiamm (pronounced Fam). I spoke to chap called David at powercell and the bank size was 720Ah!!!!

:lol: 575 was the cell height in mm. Big mofo's they are :lol: with a price tag to match but pretty much the best thing you can get for the job (not sure if gibbo/chris will agree though) :lol:

OK - thanks - I will follow that one up

Nick

• 2 weeks later...

The original Delphi Freedom and Voyager batteries were AGM and Gel cells designed for deep cycling. They were proper deep cycle batteries.

Then the names got tranferred to crappy emergency lighting sealed wet cell back up batteries. I actually had an email from Delphi (when they really made them) stating categorically that they were not for deep cycle use. I can only assume the dealers think "Freedom" batteries are deep cycle when they're not even the same battery any more.

Are Voyager batteries undesirable, not sure from the above? I am somewhat concerned because I have just ordered 4x6v deep cycle batteries bearing the name Voyager.

Richard Tanner

Edited by Rich

The original Delphi Freedom and Voyager batteries were AGM and Gel cells designed for deep cycling. They were proper deep cycle batteries.

Then the names got tranferred to crappy emergency lighting sealed wet cell back up batteries. I actually had an email from Delphi (when they really made them) stating categorically that they were not for deep cycle use. I can only assume the dealers think "Freedom" batteries are deep cycle when they're not even the same battery any more.

Are Voyager batteries undesirable, not sure from the above? I am somewhat concerned because I have just ordered 4x6v deep cycle batteries bearing the name Voyager.

Richard Tanner

Hi

I hope you are not intending to use these battery's with a boosting charge controler.

These are 'maintenance free' meaning you cannot top up them up with water.

Hard charging battery's will require topping up.

IMHO

Alex

Hi All,

Having done a bit of research for a decent battery pack for the barge, I've been comparing the Trojan's with similar products. I decided to go with 6volt 'wet' cells and have just done a deal for these: http://www.usbattery.com/usb_us250hcxc.html

They compare well with the Trojans and give better performance £ for £. They are well known in the US (we use them for power in the pits and in the motorhome/workshop/awning - I'm involved in motorsport) and the main competitor to Trojan.

Here's the specs:

Trojan T125: 240 Ah@20Hr: 132 Mins @75amps: 488 Mins @25amps: 264L x 181W x 276H: 30Kgs

US250HC: 283 Ah@20Hr: 178 Mins @75amps: 636 Mins @25amps: 295L x 181W x 295H: 35.4Kgs

In my case the batteries are to be installed under the wheelhouse floor so removal of gas when under charge and watering is an issue. The gassing has been solved with an automatic fan and vent. Solved the watering 'problem' with a remote watering system which also cuts down on the gas emissions when they're on charge. With the auto watering system, this could be a setup that could fit into the confines of a narrowboat too? This system is by Flow-Rite (again from the US but not the one sold by US Battery).

The best price I could find for the Trojans was £159 each, the US Batterys are costing me £149.00 each delivered to the door so 40 quid less for the bank.

I'd be interested in views and also if anyone has found anything better/similar that would give a decent capacity/life expectancy?

Colin

Hi All,

Having done a bit of research for a decent battery pack for the barge, I've been comparing the Trojan's with similar products. I decided to go with 6volt 'wet' cells and have just done a deal for these: http://www.usbattery.com/usb_us250hcxc.html

They compare well with the Trojans and give better performance £ for £. They are well known in the US (we use them for power in the pits and in the motorhome/workshop/awning - I'm involved in motorsport) and the main competitor to Trojan.

Here's the specs:

Trojan T125: 240 Ah@20Hr: 132 Mins @75amps: 488 Mins @25amps: 264L x 181W x 276H: 30Kgs

US250HC: 283 Ah@20Hr: 178 Mins @75amps: 636 Mins @25amps: 295L x 181W x 295H: 35.4Kgs

In my case the batteries are to be installed under the wheelhouse floor so removal of gas when under charge and watering is an issue. The gassing has been solved with an automatic fan and vent. Solved the watering 'problem' with a remote watering system which also cuts down on the gas emissions when they're on charge. With the auto watering system, this could be a setup that could fit into the confines of a narrowboat too? This system is by Flow-Rite (again from the US but not the one sold by US Battery).

The best price I could find for the Trojans was £159 each, the US Batterys are costing me £149.00 each delivered to the door so 40 quid less for the bank.

I'd be interested in views and also if anyone has found anything better/similar that would give a decent capacity/life expectancy?

Colin

I was quoted £132 each (for four), inc VAT and delivered - someone said they were quoted £104 each but haven't yet checked that one out.... Who is supplying as the US batts item seems better if the cycles are better than the Trojans

( 1200 cycles at 50% DoD )

Nick

Edited by Nickhlx

I was quoted £132 each (for four), inc VAT and delivered - someone said they were quoted £104 each but haven't yet checked that one out.... Who is supplying as the US batts item seems better if the cycles are better than the Trojans

( 1200 cycles at 50% DoD )

Nick

Hi Nick,

Those Trojan prices are way better than I could find but are you sure thay were for the T125 and not the T105? - I was quoted £132 for T105's! The cycle rates for the US250HC's are virtually the same as the Trojans - about 1200 cycles at 50% DoD (% of 20Ah capacity).

The supply side of things is a little complicated......They do have a retailer in the UK - tayna.co.uk. They don't have the US250HC listed but do quote the standard 250 (which is not the high-capacity version) at £179 each. However, I'm getting some with the watering system through my business (hence the price). We're also negotiating a deal to sell the watering systems in the UK. I've been very impressed by them because they produce both manual and fully automated watering systems that can be retro-fitted to most lead-acid batteries. As soon as I've finalised the pricing for these, I'll be getting the order placed for the systems and the batteries. PM me if you want more info.

Regards,

Colin

Trojan T125 are £138 each including delivery + VAT from Battery Megastore in Tewkesbury.

Hi All,

Here's the specs:

Colin

Hi Nick,

Those Trojan prices are way better than I could find but are you sure thay were for the T125 and not the T105? - I was quoted £132 for T105's! The cycle rates for the US250HC's are virtually the same as the Trojans - about 1200 cycles at 50% DoD (% of 20Ah capacity).

The supply side of things is a little complicated......They do have a retailer in the UK - tayna.co.uk. They don't have the US250HC listed but do quote the standard 250 (which is not the high-capacity version) at £179 each. However, I'm getting some with the watering system through my business (hence the price). We're also negotiating a deal to sell the watering systems in the UK. I've been very impressed by them because they produce both manual and fully automated watering systems that can be retro-fitted to most lead-acid batteries. As soon as I've finalised the pricing for these, I'll be getting the order placed for the systems and the batteries. PM me if you want more info.

Regards,

Colin

Yes - positive that was for the T125s.. Are you in the UK ? Trojan seem to have a ? temporary interruption in supply as the distributor seems to have gone "bust", and the distributor selling them was unsure of deliveries and was offering US batteries equivalent, but was happy for me to wait a week or so as he was confident it would be sorted.

Nick

Yes - positive that was for the T125s.. Are you in the UK ? Trojan seem to have a ? temporary interruption in supply as the distributor seems to have gone "bust", and the distributor selling them was unsure of deliveries and was offering US batteries equivalent, but was happy for me to wait a week or so as he was confident it would be sorted.

Nick

Hi Nick,

That's a pretty good price for the Trojans and tempting. I understand that their UK disty (Energy Battery Company) has stopped trading and one or two other distys are looking into taking it on. I'm going to stick with the US250HC's. They have a higher capacity (566Ah) which fits my requirement and I can also get the deal with the watering system which I think is a no brainer for this type of setup (I'm all for making life easy!!!).

I'm in the UK in Huddersfield. My business is based in the Seychelles but distribute in 60 countries including the UK. My barge is on the Shroppie near Chester!

Colin

Hi Nick,

That's a pretty good price for the Trojans and tempting. I understand that their UK disty (Energy Battery Company) has stopped trading and one or two other distys are looking into taking it on. I'm going to stick with the US250HC's. They have a higher capacity (566Ah) which fits my requirement and I can also get the deal with the watering system which I think is a no brainer for this type of setup (I'm all for making life easy!!!).

I'm in the UK in Huddersfield. My business is based in the Seychelles but distribute in 60 countries including the UK. My barge is on the Shroppie near Chester!

Colin

Hi,

I will bear those in mind, in case mine don't arrive in the next few days, and as you say the watering system is attractive, although I had access to our bank intentionally designed to be easy for such jobs.

We are down south at the moment ( this year) on the K and A, but intend to move "up a bit" for 2010..

Thanks for the reply

Nick

Can four of the Trojan 6v batteries wired up in series to make 2x 12v be charged up as normal with a mastervolt MBC? ie I just want to replace my current battery bank with them.

I have four 12v 110ah leisure batteries and the T125's look very good.

Thanks

Mark.

Can four of the Trojan 6v batteries wired up in series to make 2x 12v be charged up as normal with a mastervolt MBC? ie I just want to replace my current battery bank with them.

Absolutely yes.

Gibbo