Drippy stern gland

Smelly

Featured Posts

Whilst upside down in the engine 'ole last night I noticed that the stern gland, a Vetus water lube'd one was dripping a bit, only very slightly but it's playing on my mind.

I's probably done about 6-800 hours without a service (no-one told me I needed to service it until the discussion about servicing it here).

Would a bit of silicone grease in the top nipple resolve it do we think, or is there something more ominous going on? Might bottoming her out and putting a bit of silicone grease around the shaft help or am I booking a dock ASAP?

Answers onna postcard pleez!

Whilst upside down in the engine 'ole last night I noticed that the stern gland, a Vetus water lube'd one was dripping a bit, only very slightly but it's playing on my mind.

I's probably done about 6-800 hours without a service (no-one told me I needed to service it until the discussion about servicing it here).

Would a bit of silicone grease in the top nipple resolve it do we think, or is there something more ominous going on? Might bottoming her out and putting a bit of silicone grease around the shaft help or am I booking a dock ASAP?

These water lubes have a habit of giving the odd drip mate, specially in very hot water conditions, also in very cold water conditions. Whichever applies to your current situation could be the cause!! An ice cream tub to catch the drip is probably the best bet. When you service, make sure you tighten everything equally and not too hefty with the tightener!!

I've got one of these. I was told it didn't need servicing (it doesn't have a nipple, greasy or otherwise), 'just replacing when it fails' . It's done about 2000 hours, sometimes in conditions so dirty that it destroyed my raw water pump. Can you point to the discussion about servicing? I don't see how a water-lubed gland could benefit from grease.

Mac

I too have vetus water lubed stern tube. It is greased with SILICON grease every year through an allen screw on top of the seal. I have had an odd drip in 1000 hrs only when reversing. I suspect greasing it will cure it.

Edited by Guest

I too have vetus water lubed stern tube. It is greased with SILICON grease every year through an allen screw on top of the seal. I have had an odd drip in 1000 hrs only when reversing. I suspect greasing it will cure it.

You inspect your stern tube when reversing? My God.

:lol:

I've got one of these. I was told it didn't need servicing (it doesn't have a nipple, greasy or otherwise), 'just replacing when it fails' . It's done about 2000 hours, sometimes in conditions so dirty that it destroyed my raw water pump. Can you point to the discussion about servicing? I don't see how a water-lubed gland could benefit from grease.

Mac

If it's like mine there should be a small allen bolt on the top, just in front of the rubber tube that leads to the weedhatch. You need to take that out and put a fingerfull of silicone grease in there, say once a year depending on how many hours you do. (If your boat is raw water cooled your setup may be different but the allen bolt shoud still be in the same place.)

Unlike ordinary grease, silicone grease will not destroy rubber seals.

Edited by blackrose

Can you point to the discussion about servicing?

Mac

No I can't despite some searching, maybe i dreamt it but it would have been a good dream... I do remember some swearing and discussion of whether LB had kept their end of the RCD as they'd not told me it needed servicing. Catty was there as well (weren't you?) :lol: