Who's boat and where ?????????

bargiepat

Featured Posts

Agreed. But the LNWR story is a tired old bit of propaganda regularly trotted out. As far as I can tell the source is Ahrons but I haven't come across any contemporary descriptions of this behaviour from unbiased observers. I have read explanations from experts on compounds as to why it was impossible though.

Richard

Still :lol:

Have you read "Experimental Locomotives"? I can't recall the author but will try to find it when I'm back on the boat (doing a BSP at the moment, working down in Landaan).

The view expressed in this book is that the majority of the criticisms aimed at the LNWR compounds were valid, although one particular batch of locos appeared to be much better than the rest. This is similar to the LB&SCR's 'I' 4-4-2 tanks which were universally detested, except for the I3s which were, apparently, superb. The I1x had a particularly rude nickname amongst railwaymen and there is a FOAF story that Ian Allan published this in their spotter's books for a few years. I think during that period locomotive design was still a very inexact science.

Can I take my anorak off now?

Edited by sociable_hermit

Hi,

Does anyone know who's boat this video was shot on and where it was shot ???????????? Circa 1993.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5pOh1FLb2g

Well, how interesting to see the finished video, albeit fifteen years after I saw it being filmed ! I was there at work in the London Waterbus Co office on the day that Bob Dylan and his entourage turned up at Camden Lock. I remember them walking over the roving bridge, and I thought they did some filming on the lock island, but since this isn't seen, perhaps they didn't after all.

I decided to try and get Dylan's autograph for a friend, so when they stopped filming I dashed out with a waterbus postcard and a biro in my hand. I had to run towards Camden High street as he had paid off the entourage and was now with just the film crew and heading down Camden High Street. They went into a cafe before I caught up and on the spur of the moment I carried on in and approached the man, now sitting at a table. I explained that my friend had grown up with his music and would be so pleased to have his autograph. I proffered the postcard and he duly signed it without a word. I thanked him and left. Wow, I thought, I've just met Bob Dylan !

There is an iterior shot in the video that appears to be taken inside the cafe, by a fireplace I think. The cafe was (is?) two shops made into one and would be 248 or 246 Camden High Street, ie next to Paddy Walker's Antique Shop as was.

As for the boat, well I think it may have been Dave Stewart's narrowboat, which he kept moored at Blomfield Road, near Maida Tunnel. I can't recall the name but it was certainly green and a rather boxy shape. One day we were operating the winter waterbus service with Water Buffalo when, approaching the tunnel, we were confronted by Dave Stewart on his boat right across the canal in front of us and apparently unable to move. It was clear to see from the propwash that his propeller was fouled so we tied up, I cleared the prop for him, and we both went on our way.

Steve

You're not the only pedant. I was just about to point out The Premier Line (L&NWR to you) ran to Euston, but I wanted to be sure there were no branches from that Derby based company in that area.

Of course, both of these were ancient and rather backward looking companies that should have been properly trounced after Edward Watkin built his branch line to London, but old politics and scores run deep and in 1958 the dinosaurs left over (from the North Western and the Midland) finally got their grubby hands on the superior route that offered 'Rapid Travel in Luxury' and set about closing it. This was a pity because much of the route had been planned with a channel tunnel in mind and would be extremely useful today . . .

More than one 'anorak' on this forum :lol:

Edited by NB Alnwick

:lol:

But the Midland's so called "small locomotive" policy hardly did the LMS any favours after they had taken over both lines, but failed to shake off much outdated Midland practice........

No doubt some bright spark will be along soon to point out that even the LMS only started getting locomotive design right after it had pinched a GWR man to be in charge! He certainly generally got it right though, it's true!

I think if this turns into a "GWR versus LMS - which is best fight" it could get nastier than anything involving galvanic isolators, so I'll :lol::lol:

Bright Spark here!!

You are absolutely correct, the LMS were in such a mess over locomotive design that they poached Willim Stanier from the GWR in order to sort the Engineering Department out. It was only after he introduced the tapered Boiler designs (blatently copied from the GWR) that they were able to create locomatives that could do the job.

Having said that the LMS did produce some pretty locomotives after Stanier took up the reigns, second only to the GWR, although I have to admit that the prettiest engines ever built were the LNER A4's.

I have lots of anectotal memories about Steam Motive Power, but Daniel will just get jealous and think I am ancient!! so I will (or may) keep quiet.

Bright Spark here!!

You are absolutely correct, the LMS were in such a mess over locomotive design that they poached Willim Stanier from the GWR in order to sort the Engineering Department out. It was only after he introduced the tapered Boiler designs (blatently copied from the GWR) that they were able to create locomatives that could do the job.

Having said that the LMS did produce some pretty locomotives after Stanier took up the reigns, second only to the GWR, although I have to admit that the prettiest engines ever built were the LNER A4's.

I have lots of anectotal memories about Steam Motive Power, but Daniel will just get jealous and think I am ancient!! so I will (or may) keep quiet.

And still in the off-topic long grass.

Trouble with any of these LMS/GWR/MR/LNWR/LBSCR/M&LRTC/etc arguments is that it becomes a "top-trumps" thing. How do you want to compete? Locomotive design, route mileage, freight carried, fastest trains, annual passenger mileage, return on divided?

Richard

Canal mileage owned?

Well, how interesting to see the finished video, albeit fifteen years after I saw it being filmed ! I was there at work in the London Waterbus Co office on the day that Bob Dylan and his entourage turned up at Camden Lock. I remember them walking over the roving bridge, and I thought they did some filming on the lock island, but since this isn't seen, perhaps they didn't after all.

I decided to try and get Dylan's autograph for a friend, so when they stopped filming I dashed out with a waterbus postcard and a biro in my hand. I had to run towards Camden High street as he had paid off the entourage and was now with just the film crew and heading down Camden High Street. They went into a cafe before I caught up and on the spur of the moment I carried on in and approached the man, now sitting at a table. I explained that my friend had grown up with his music and would be so pleased to have his autograph. I proffered the postcard and he duly signed it without a word. I thanked him and left. Wow, I thought, I've just met Bob Dylan !

There is an iterior shot in the video that appears to be taken inside the cafe, by a fireplace I think. The cafe was (is?) two shops made into one and would be 248 or 246 Camden High Street, ie next to Paddy Walker's Antique Shop as was.

As for the boat, well I think it may have been Dave Stewart's narrowboat, which he kept moored at Blomfield Road, near Maida Tunnel. I can't recall the name but it was certainly green and a rather boxy shape. One day we were operating the winter waterbus service with Water Buffalo when, approaching the tunnel, we were confronted by Dave Stewart on his boat right across the canal in front of us and apparently unable to move. It was clear to see from the propwash that his propeller was fouled so we tied up, I cleared the prop for him, and we both went on our way.

Steve

Excellent! He must be getting on a bit now - 65+? Dave Stewart I met (if you could call delivering him a package 'meeting') at his Church studio in Crouch Hill. Not much of a conversationalist, but then he was probably as busy as I was.

Derek

Pedant alert!

The "Midland Railway" has never gone anywhere near Euston!

I'll allow you "London Midland Region", "London Midland", "London Midland & Scottish Railway", or (arguably !), "Midland Region", depending on the era being discussed.

Amongst the pre-grouping railways that were amalgamated to form the London, Midland & Scottish Railway in 1923, the biggest were the "London and North Western Railway" which ran into Euston, and the "Midland Railway" that ran into St Pancras. These were competing operations up until that date.

People often get this wrong, but those who know anything about it know that the LNWR was by far the better railway, (it's one of those truths that my Dad taught me!).

Coh! Trust a train spotter! All of those titles contain the word Midland, and the bridge carries a railway, which goes through the Midland Shires, and Euston is but little more than a quarter of a mile from St Pancras which also sent trains off through the Midlands, so if it's a railway and it goes to the Midlands, it's a Midland railway - yah boo.