Mason's Paints

Athy

Featured Posts

They are. Evening activity this week includes painting Melaleuca's day tank with Phil's excellent mid-Brunswick (AKA Lister) Green engine enamel. Whilst I'm painting, I'm finding it impossible to get the song "It's not easy being green", as performed by Kermit the Frog, out of my brain.

Must be the solvent fumes......

MP.

Be glad your wife hasn`t been to se Mama Mia three times...........

Phil

Edited by Phil Speight

When our new boat was being built three years ago my wife and i looked through a copy of Paget Tomlinson's Colours Of The Cut book to seek inspiration. We settled on an approximation of the Chance & Hunt livery, which was duly applied by boat painter Robert Naghi from Nottingham. he told us that the base colour was "Mason's deep violet".

Now the paintwork needs a bit of attention and the spare paint which Robert gave us in a pickle jar (he's an informal sort of chap) is almost used up. I've looked for stockists of Mason's, which I thought was a popular brand, but have een told that the paint is discontinued. Is this true and, if so, does anyone know where there may still be stocks - especially of deep violet?

I recall that one or both of the RAL & BS colour coding schemes has an aged(or weathered) coding scheme.

This may sound a little extreme, but would allow partial repaint / extensive touch up; and leave the boat in an "original" condition.

I expect Phil will have heard of this.

Steve

Have you got her the DVD for Christmas?

Richard

Too late , far too late .

Phil

I recall that one or both of the RAL & BS colour coding schemes has an aged(or weathered) coding scheme.

This may sound a little extreme, but would allow partial repaint / extensive touch up; and leave the boat in an "original" condition.

I expect Phil will have heard of this.

Steve

Actually no I haven`t . Sounds a bit unlikely to be honest . The only way I know to colour match paibnt that has aged is to have an actual sample ( in this case a bit of a boat ) to do a physical match to. Our office is often full of unlikely portions of arcane machinery sent for the purpose.

Phil

• 1 month later...

I have commissioned a repaint of our boat in Mason's Paint from Tooley's Boatyard, Banbury. They used to have their own mixing plant for the paint but lost it in the floods of 2008. They tell me that they can get any colour mixed and it comes from Azco Nobel who bought up Masons and then forgot about the marine paint market. Tooley's told me they have the old recipes and can have any Mason's paint made as good as the original. It convinced me.

I want to keep the same colour scheme and have matched the boat to an old colour swatch that equates to 'Royal Green'. I like the name as well. It has a traditional feel to it.

I agree with the comment about the proliferation of poor painters. I had a long think about a re-paint. I like to purchase locally to keep businesses on the canal open is very important. We have had one local painter give up working here, one move away and the local 'do-it-yourself' wet dock which used to be available to enable one to select the painter who would then work there is now a mooring! Tooley's have a good reputation and now have an 'in house' painter. I think they won 'Best in Show' at Crick in 2005. However, history does not necessarily mean that we will get a perfect job in 2009, but if someone has a repuation to keep they will certainly try their best. Travelling to a painter, for me was out of the question. I want to be cruising in the summer months so moving the boat in winter is a problem. Many painters have not the conditions to paint in the colder weather. Here Tooley's have the facilities to have heaters on the boat in enclosed Dry dock for the whole of the painting time.

They recommend Mason's Boat Enamel. Who am I to disagree?

I have commissioned a repaint of our boat in Mason's Paint from Tooley's Boatyard, Banbury. They used to have their own mixing plant for the paint but lost it in the floods of 2008. They tell me that they can get any colour mixed and it comes from Azco Nobel who bought up Masons and then forgot about the marine paint market. Tooley's told me they have the old recipes and can have any Mason's paint made as good as the original. It convinced me.

I want to keep the same colour scheme and have matched the boat to an old colour swatch that equates to 'Royal Green'. I like the name as well. It has a traditional feel to it.

I agree with the comment about the proliferation of poor painters. I had a long think about a re-paint. I like to purchase locally to keep businesses on the canal open is very important. We have had one local painter give up working here, one move away and the local 'do-it-yourself' wet dock which used to be available to enable one to select the painter who would then work there is now a mooring! Tooley's have a good reputation and now have an 'in house' painter. I think they won 'Best in Show' at Crick in 2005. However, history does not necessarily mean that we will get a perfect job in 2009, but if someone has a repuation to keep they will certainly try their best. Travelling to a painter, for me was out of the question. I want to be cruising in the summer months so moving the boat in winter is a problem. Many painters have not the conditions to paint in the colder weather. Here Tooley's have the facilities to have heaters on the boat in enclosed Dry dock for the whole of the painting time.

They recommend Mason's Boat Enamel. Who am I to disagree?

The old recipes? What they will actually have is the old colour formulations - so have we. However , the original Masons ingredients , which made the paint so very good years ago, were supplied only to Masons own mixing plant/depots. It was only after the old company sold out that private mixing schemes were able to offer Masons Paints - and they were not the same in my experience. I have no axe to grind here. Tooley`s painter is a good bloke ( who I often have contact with ), they are deservedly of good repute and they regularly use our products . However , as a paint company we always tell it like it is , as it were , regarding our own ranges - so I find the Masons myth aggravating. A paint is available carrying the name Masons on the label. It may well be very good - I didn`t like it when we tried it some years ago and we found it quite unlike the Masons we used to use. However , that was then and this is now. There is no reason to suppose that the paint now being marketed is anything but good , reputable painters wouldn`t use it if it was poor, but technically the same - it isn`t. Please look back to my first contribution to this thread - it is the truth of Mason`s recent history as it is known within the paint industry.

Incidentally - Akzo Nobel have by no means "forgotten" the marine paint market. They own International - the market leader.

The point about painting conditions is well made but worth a look. Our own dock is not without it`s problems in winter. The secret is to know what you are dealing with and operate accordingly. Heaters in wet docks can create more problems than they solve and inadequate ventilation at high level in an apparently wonderful dry dock can do the same.

It`s down to knowledge , common sense and diligence in the end.

Phil

Edited by Phil Speight

Any thoughts out there on Firwood paints, and in particular Firlex 2020 high solids finishing gloss???

I`m afraid I`ve never heard of them - but that isn`t particulary significant. When they say "high-solids" do you know the actual percentage figure ? In case anybody doesn`t know by the way the solids content of paint is the percentage of material that remains actually on the side of your boat once all the solvents and so on have evaporated. It isn`t the amount of solids , as against liquids, that go into making the paint in the first place and it has no bearing on the consistency of the paint in the tin.

Incidentally , as I have just edited into my last contribution, Akzo Nobel have most certainly not "forgotten the marine paint market" - they own International - the market leader.

Phil

Edited by Phil Speight

Firlex 2020 - VOC 399g/l, vol solids 50%, mass solids 60 - 67%, DEFSTAN

80-54. Firlex 2020 Tech Specs

Yes - interesting. We don`t refer to mass-solids at all , we simply quote a solids content as defined in my last comments, so this paint is either of average solid content 50% or much above average 61 to 67% - much the same as ours, I`m just not familiar with the terminology. The lab will get round to answering the question I`ve just asked and I`ll then know which of the above is relevant. The tech sheet reads well and I`m sure it`s good stuff. I think though that it is not a coach enamel , more a machinery enamel judging by the drying times and the fact that "brush" is the last of the possible application methods listed. All in all it`s highly likely to be good stuff ( although I don`t know the price and that is usually a very good indication of quality in the paint world ), I`ve never claimed that ours is the only good paint out there by any means.

Phil

RAl stands for the German Reichsausschuß für Lieferbedingungen und Gütesicherung" (Imperial Commission for Delivery Terms and Quality Assurance)

Zodiaks colour is RAL 5011 - "Stahlblau" Is it possible to get some touch up paint mixed to this colour in a smallish quantity?

Mick

Sorry - I missd this one. Mixing the colour is no problem and if we were to do it the minimum quantity would be one litre.

Phil