toilet blue

smokeyfruitbat

Featured Posts

To add my personal cautionary tale to this thread...

I've recently been away from the boat for a week. The Thetford C2 cassette was about 1/3rd full, and I use the green Top & Tail stuff from Halfords.

On returning yesterday, I couldn't open the flap by turning the knob - the knob would turn, but the flap didn't move.

I reached for a handy screwdriver, thinking it'd got a bit stuck like when I first bought the boat.

So, leaning over the loo and poking the flap, whilst turning the knob, released it. Unfortunately, I suspect the contents had been fermenting and generating gas, which is what had stuck the flap in the first place. The resulting release of pressure caused the liquid contents to be sprayed into the air, covering me, the walls and the ceiling, including in my eyes, which wasn't pleasant.

I do wonder if I've a vent related problem somewhere!

PC

I'd have though so Paul.

One of the things on top of the cassette should be a pressure vent valve, so if yours are doing what you day, it sounds like that bit isn't working.

I'd have though so Paul.

One of the things on top of the cassette should be a pressure vent valve, so if yours are doing what you day, it sounds like that bit isn't working.

Sounds likely, although annoying as this is a new cassette, only a month old.

To be honest, you're more than likely right, as it recently got stuck in the toilet when very full, and only came out when I released some of the pressure via the emptying point - not a nice experience either (for my other half, who actually did it!).

PC

To add my personal cautionary tale to this thread...

I've recently been away from the boat for a week. The Thetford C2 cassette was about 1/3rd full, and I use the green Top & Tail stuff from Halfords.

On returning yesterday, I couldn't open the flap by turning the knob - the knob would turn, but the flap didn't move.

I reached for a handy screwdriver, thinking it'd got a bit stuck like when I first bought the boat.

So, leaning over the loo and poking the flap, whilst turning the knob, released it. Unfortunately, I suspect the contents had been fermenting and generating gas, which is what had stuck the flap in the first place. The resulting release of pressure caused the liquid contents to be sprayed into the air, covering me, the walls and the ceiling, including in my eyes, which wasn't pleasant.

PC

CLOSE ALL WATERTIGHT DOORS AND STANDBY TO TAKE IN TOW!!!!

Thar she blows me hearties :lol:

Gross!

Yup, it was the end of a stressful week at work, which didn't aid my language when it happened.

I could really do without a repeat of it! :-)

Thar she blows me hearties

Yes - a bit like movie images of submarines blowing ballast tanks, just more green and acrid.

PC

Above all, avoid Thetford green. Its disgusting!

Neil

Yes, it's a bit odd that the people who make the cassette toilets don't seem to be able to make a green fluid that works. We always use the green stuff because it's not supposed to contain formaldehyde (horrible stuff - a fellow biologist's hands were almost destroyed by over-frequent contact with the stuff - how does Damien Hirst cope?). The best and cheapest that we've found seems to be mainly available in caravan centres and is made by Blue Diamond (but the green version) - about half the price of Elsan and Aquakem, etc, but just as effective.

About a year ago I spent some time on the internet trying to find out exactly what biocide was used in the green stuff, but all the manufacturers seemed extremely reticent about this. Eventually a friend who sterilises cruise ships for a living came up with the answer, but it was so unmemorable that I promply forgot it. I expect someone here will know - they usually do.

Mac

Re: pumpout tanks, I was told by our surveyor and others that Blue will corode an integral tank and that something like the link below is better, but it will take several pumpouts/rinses and stirrings to get rid of the slump left behind. Another way to avoid inboard smells from a pumpout tank is to have at least two vents pipes about of about an 1" each preferably as near to either end of the tank, this allows air to pass over the contents and allow the good enzines to work as well as keeping it vented, if you also use the stuff from the link below there should be no smells outside either, but as said above it will take time to get it right.

Hope this is helpful.

Regards

John

http://www.biomagicuk.com/19.html

I seem to have fallen upon a thread without any bitching, great.

Edited by johnjo