Moving a boat from Nottingham to Bath - advice sought

Reptile Smile

Featured Posts

Hmm - ok, I'm trying to look into the economics / best plan for moving a boat.

She's a 30 foot / 8' 6" beam boat, so narrow locks are out. She's currently on the Trent and I need to get her to Bath. My parents are happy to move her, but I gather the only narrow locks that I can't avoid are the Foxton flight..?

Accordingly, should I just get her craned out where she is, put on a lorry and craned back in again in Bath (and roughly how much would this be..?)

Or get her craned out somewhere beneath Foxton, lorried to somewhere at the top, and then craned back in there..?

For what it's worth, at the moment it's only on a 'rivers' licence so if it does come down through the system, that's a cost I'd have to factor in...

Any thoughts?

As Denboy says you need to skip about twenty miles of canal: the lift will be the expensive bit so unless you want the trip you may as well take it all the way by road.

The only other options involve coastal passages, you could come out of the Wash, round the Anglian coast and back in at the Thames estuary, or if you are feeling really brave go over the Leeds and Liverpool, out of the Mersey, round the coast of Wales and up the Severn, but these trips, the second in particular, are not for the faint hearted and would need your craft to be suitable.

budget 1500-2000 for the lift, unless she's light enough to go on a trailer pulled by a four wheel drive

Not only the weight but the size will denote the vehicle trailer combination that could be used.

Quote:

Dimensions If the towing vehicle has a permissible gross weight in excess of 3.5 tonnes the maximum width and length of the trailer are 2.55 metres and 12 metres respectively. If however the gross weight of the towing vehicle is 3.5 tonnes or less then the maximum permissible width and length are 2.3 metres and 7 metres respectively. In both cases the overall length of the towing vehicle and trailer must not exceed either 18m or 18.75m depending on the type of towing vehicle. :Unquote

From here: http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roads/vehicles/v...entsfortrailers

If it is seaworthy then the sea route is not too awesome (I imagine there would be an experienced crew you could gather, just from this forum).

That's why I asked what type of boat.

you looking for an excuse to go boating along the lines of"sorry dear can`t decorate the lounge this weekend need to move a boat for someone" :lol:

you looking for an excuse to go boating along the lines of"sorry dear can`t decorate the lounge this weekend need to move a boat for someone" :lol:

OK - the boat is a converted lifeboat. It was built for the cargoman Zantia in 1907. The parent vessel was torpedoed off the Humber in the first world war, whereby it got most of the crew to safety. It was converted into a trip boat in the 30s and a cruiser in the 60s. It's entirely seaworthy and indeed has always been used for sea-going passages. It's equipped with depth sounder, huge compass and VHF.

Am I right in saying it could be brought out at Boston and back in on the Nene?

Carl's point is an interesting one. Is there anyone out there who'd be up for it? I would be, my bro would be willing crew and is very 'inland' experienced. I'm not daunted by the Wash section - actually, that's a lie - I am, but I'm up for it if it's do-able..? Is there anyone who'd want to join us and/or help across the Wash?

Edited by Reptile Smile

Carl's point is an interesting one. Is there anyone out there who'd be up for it? I would be, my bro would be willing crew and is very 'inland' experienced. I'm not daunted by the Wash section - actually, that's a lie - I am, but I'm up for it if it's do-able..?

sadly not: the Northampton Bramch odf the GU is also narrow beam

Me and Val would be up for it, but I suspect we'd be beaten to the front of the Q by a country mile. A pint in the Salamander is yours when you get here. If we can't join you on the coastal trip, we'll at least get you down Caen Hill Locks... :lol:

sadly not: the Northampton Bramch odf the GU is also narrow beam

Me and Val would be up for it, but I suspect we'd be beaten to the front of the Q by a country mile. A pint in the Salamander is yours when you get here. If we can't join you on the coastal trip, we'll at least get you down Caen Hill Locks... :lol:

All pints for all elements of the Coastal bit are on me (stands to one side whilst the stampede fires through). All help, advice or volunteering is/are gratefully received; but thank you, Magpie patrick - stand by your bed!

I need to pin down how long this section would take, in order to sort a plan. Any ideas, anyone..?

Edited by Reptile Smile

OK - the boat is a converted lifeboat. It was built for the cargoman Zantia in 1907. The parent vessel was torpedoed off the Humber in the first world war, whereby it got most of the crew to safety. It was converted into a trip boat in the 30s and a cruiser in the 60s. It's entirely seaworthy and indeed has always been used for sea-going passages. It's equipped with depth sounder, huge compass and VHF.

Carl's point is an interesting one. Is there anyone out there who'd be up for it? I would be, my bro would be willing crew and is very 'inland' experienced. I'm not daunted by the Wash section - actually, that's a lie - I am, but I'm up for it if it's do-able..? Is there anyone who'd want to join us and/or help across the Wash?

Just a thought

What is its draft?

The K&A is not the worlds deepest waterway :lol:

I don't need an excuse. Swmbo would rather be boating, too:

pic005.jpg

A ship's lifeboat would be just fine and 3' is not a problem.

I'll plot a course and tell you how far and how long it'll take. Aldeburgh to The Crouch took about 8 hours at an average of about 10 knots.