Paintmaster paints

lymmranger

Featured Posts

I used Weathershield gloss topcoat which is supposed to be flexible, porous and lots of other things that are claimed to be important by Dulux. I'll wait and see how it performs.

Chris, should that be non-porous ??

I thought the idea of paint was to seal the water out?

Chris, should that be non-porous ??

I thought the idea of paint was to seal the water out?

I'm away from home just now, but I seem to recall from the label that the system relies on porosity so it can 'breathe'. Probably irrelevant in the case of painting steel, but more important for timber and masonry which may be porous themselves. Thus avoiding pressure build-up and blowing off.

I did find one reference on a website referring to traditional timber frame buildings: Some modern exterior paints have some ability to "breathe" and only these should be used (Dulux Weathershield is the most commonly used).

I'm away from home just now, but I seem to recall from the label that the system relies on porosity so it can 'breathe'. Probably irrelevant in the case of painting steel, but more important for timber and masonry which may be porous themselves. Thus avoiding pressure build-up and blowing off.

I did find one reference on a website referring to traditional timber frame buildings: Some modern exterior paints have some ability to "breathe" and only these should be used (Dulux Weathershield is the most commonly used).

I know what you are saying John, but the paint work is SO bad on the boat that this time around I need to do a budget job on the top coat and focus on the preparation and getting a smooth and level surface!!! chandlery paint is so much more expensive than in DIY stores, so I would prefer to get it there if I can. In addition, although DIY places do stock international paint, I can't see a great deal of difference on the tin from Dulux Weathershield. Of course, there is never anything better than a paint tried and tested on the medium one wants to paint, but I am not after the best at the moment!

which paints did you use in the end? I thought you were using international so I don't fully understand it when you say international is still a bit better?

I think I am going to use Dulux Weathershield - its a shame they don't do purple though!

I used the Enamel (seem to remember of German origin) from macclesfield paints (see earlier in thread)

It allows you to get 5litres for the same cost as 750ml of international!!!!!!!!!

John is right. The important thing is to use an enamel paint.

Household paint does not seem tough enough, although I have used household exterior satin finish (Dulux) with non slip additive on the roof because I did not want a gloss finish (sun blinds you otherwise)

John is right. The important thing is to use an enamel paint.

what is an enamel paint?

seems to me it just means a hard glossy paint, but does not refer to any particular chemical formulation.

any better definitions?

what is an enamel paint?

seems to me it just means a hard glossy paint, but does not refer to any particular chemical formulation.

any better definitions?

Hi y`all - I was going to keep out of this - but just a few points ; There is no connection between Craftmaster and Paintmaster . Our paint may well be poncy and certainly not cheap . Neither is it inexpensive paint repackaged for the canal ( or any other ) market . It isn`t expensive , it just costs alot!

What I mean is - the price doesn`t make something good value , or bad value - the quality does . Our paint costs a lot to make because it uses extremely expensive ingredients ( particularly the pigments ), and our technical help to customers costs a lot to finance but is very valuable to the hundreds of people ( literally ) who take advantage of it . That doesn`t mean we turn our nose up at cheaper paint . Not at all - there`s a place for all of us . We could offer a cheaper range but choose not to . We would be no better at that than anyone else - you have to make a thing cheap in order to sell it cheap .

As to all the rest of this stream - I`ve heard it all before and getting a consensus is downright impossible . There is virtue in all sides of the various points . Thanks for the support from those who gave it ; and to the anti-expensive paint brigade ?

Fair enough , I`ve no argument with you at all . You pays yer money and makes yer choice and who could

say that isn`t fair enough .

Cheers

Phil

Hi y`all - I was going to keep out of this - but just a few points ; There is no connection between Craftmaster and Paintmaster . Our paint may well be poncy and certainly not cheap . Neither is it inexpensive paint repackaged for the canal ( or any other ) market . It isn`t expensive , it just costs alot!

What I mean is - the price doesn`t make something good value , or bad value - the quality does . Our paint costs a lot to make because it uses extremely expensive ingredients ( particularly the pigments ), and our technical help to customers costs a lot to finance but is very valuable to the hundreds of people ( literally ) who take advantage of it . That doesn`t mean we turn our nose up at cheaper paint . Not at all - there`s a place for all of us . We could offer a cheaper range but choose not to . We would be no better at that than anyone else - you have to make a thing cheap in order to sell it cheap .

As to all the rest of this stream - I`ve heard it all before and getting a consensus is downright impossible . There is virtue in all sides of the various points . Thanks for the support from those who gave it ; and to the anti-expensive paint brigade ?

Fair enough , I`ve no argument with you at all . You pays yer money and makes yer choice and who could

say that isn`t fair enough .

Cheers

Phil

Fair enough Phil, but please take the point as it was intended.

Nothing I would like more than to buy and use your paints, and I agree with everything you say.

Unfortunately I cannot afford them

Simple as that mate

Fair enough Phil, but please take the point as it was intended.

Nothing I would like more than to buy and use your paints, and I agree with everything you say.

Unfortunately I cannot afford them

Simple as that mate

I use Craftmaster raddle red and raddle black, and the quality is superb, the density of pigment means only one coat is enought. I dont have a problem with the price of the paint only the carriage cost since I only want a litre at a time and I am sorry but I wont pay £13 carriage

Because of this I am looking at having an RAL equivalent colour made up by HMG paints as I want a gloss version of raddle red, I understand they make Phils paint, I may not get the same density of colour but I will overall get better value for money

Charles

My boat was painted with Dulux Weathershield about twelve years ago. It is looking a bit tatty now and has lost all it's shine, but not much worse than the International Interlux I applied to the back panels eight years ago. Whether this is the nature of the paint or because I have only polished it about three times in the last six years I do not know.

I use Craftmaster raddle red and raddle black, and the quality is superb, the density of pigment means only one coat is enought. I dont have a problem with the price of the paint only the carriage cost since I only want a litre at a time and I am sorry but I wont pay £13 carriage

Because of this I am looking at having an RAL equivalent colour made up by HMG paints as I want a gloss version of raddle red, I understand they make Phils paint, I may not get the same density of colour but I will overall get better value for money

Charles

Unless you manage to access the lab at HMG without them knowing it you won`t get any of our product from them . The sales department have no idea what our formulations are . I take your point about the carriage charge though - it`s a pain . We aren`t allowed to send paint by post and the less expensive carriers we`ve tried are useless - totally unreliable . We now have twenty odd stockists around the country but it takes a long time to create them in a market that already has more than enough paint companies. If Charles were to give me a ring I`d gladly try to sort something out for him . That said we now actually charge £ 8.50 to send a single litre Still too much I know - but we are actually loosing a few pence at that without taking into account the cost of actually packing the stuff .

What I desperately don`t need is people using the knowledge that HMG make our paint to try going through the back door . It is theoretically impossible , all such enquiries are diverted straight back to us as a matter of course ,but , given the effort , sacrifice , stress and plain money that`s gone into proving the worth of our unique products and getting them on the market it really p*sses me off . I know that Charles was not necessarily expecting to get the same product, just something the same colour and finish ,so this isn`t personal at all . Anybody picking up and extending his initial idea may , however , be more "ambitious" - we`ve wasted a huge amount of time on this sort of thing before - and that`s all it is , a waste of time .

Cheers

Phil

OKAY here`s what we do . If you live near Manchester and you want to buy Craftmaster paint ( in 1 ltr or 2.5 ltr tin sizes -so no Signwriting Enamel or Flat colour ) I have a plan . We need to get the nuts and bolts sorted so give it a week before you try it.

Phone us on 01384 485554 . Place your order and pay for it by credit/debit card. We will then ring you when the paint is ready and you collect it from the factory sales counter. We`re not sure what to do about labelling - it`s all made in plain tins and labelled in Wordsley , it may be the cost of collecting from HMG is making do with a much simpler presentation .

So - any comments ?

Cheers

Phil

I use HMG paints extensively for vehicle applications. They are excellent. When they told me they were making a range of paints for Phil Speight, they also said "and don't even think of trying to get some from us", so don't worry about spivvish back-door johnnies, Phil.

They do a polyurethane one-pack "K"-type enamel, which I used for my boat. It is not anything like as glossy or opaque as Craftmaster, but it is much cheaper. They will mix it to all BS or RAL colours. I used it on my boat and am most pleased with it (I view the paint finish from a utilitarian viewpoint). Had I wanted a glossier finish I would undoubtedly have used Craftmaster and incidentally spent about four times as long preparing the boat. Anyone is welcome to inspect my boat at Bartington (4 years after painting, and after surviving an attack from a spurious gritblaster).

OKAY here`s what we do . If you live near Manchester and you want to buy Craftmaster paint ( in 1 ltr or 2.5 ltr tin sizes -so no Signwriting Enamel or Flat colour ) I have a plan . We need to get the nuts and bolts sorted so give it a week before you try it.

Phone us on 01384 485554 . Place your order and pay for it by credit/debit card. We will then ring you when the paint is ready and you collect it from the factory sales counter. We`re not sure what to do about labelling - it`s all made in plain tins and labelled in Wordsley , it may be the cost of collecting from HMG is making do with a much simpler presentation .

So - any comments ?

Cheers

Phil

Phil,

Thats more than decent of you and a very kind offer to go to all that trouble. I do live 45 mins from Manchester so its no problem to collect. At present I need paint for touching up only and I have enough for the next month or two. But will contact you again by PM nearer the time to take you up on this.

In the mean time please think about offering your paint to Midland Chandlers, I go to the Preston Brook one regularly and they stock a number of makes inc their own which I would not recommend because it lack density of colour. By stocking yours customers have the choice of cheap and cheerfull, mid price and yours which is top quality. Once they have tried yours they wont want to go back to any other. Furthermore your raddle colours are unique so stocking those will add a new line that no one else as far as I am aware does

Thanks again Charles

• 2 years later...

Hi All,

this is my first entry on this forum. I have just bought a new boat painted in very low quality primer - you can tell as this is very chalky. I dont have the time to take the boat back to metal as I am fitting it out from scratch and have lots of other things to get on with. To save the topside from rusting my intention is (for my wife) to put a holding coat on the boat and go back to bare steel next year. Paintmaster is not that far from where I live and I have used these paints before on new metal playground equipment. I will be using this on my boat as a holding coat as they are inexpensive and I have little to loose as the paint will be comming off next year anyway to remove the useless primer and as much mill scale as my grinder will shift.

My experience of Paintmaster is very good and I may use there enamel as a top coat when I come round to paint the boat next year. The enamel paint goes on well but does benefit from slight thinning to keep a wet edge on large pannels even on a cool day. If you do thin the paint a little it will go on faster with less brushing and small defects such as brush marks will flow out. Dont over do the thinner as you will have runs all over the place. The paint has high opacity and most colours cover very well even when thinned but dont try to get a full cover in the first coat as you will be putting too much on. Best aproach with the paint is to apply several thin coats and you can build up a stunning gloss - if you can paint.

The oxide glosses from Paintmaster are very useful as a base for the top coats and these are only £12 for 5 lts and are available in a few basic colours. It is worth buying 5lts even if you need less as the paint will keep if you add a splash of thinner to the can and cover with cling film to keep the air out. leave the undisturbed can in a cool but frost free place and it will be ok to use for a long time. I still have some from 18 months back and it is as fresh as a daisy.

If anyone has used the primer they sell I would be keen to find out if this is any good :lol:

Edited by Bernard