How much should a paint job cost?

kayak

Featured Posts

Although I intend to paint my boat myself (with the help of a skilled friend) i was wondering how much i could expect to pay for a top class job from someone well respected in the business.

Im thinking along the lines of a single colour on the cabin sides with a light coloured roof and some coach lines ( i think that is what they are called) to frame the windows and break up the sides a little. I was going to call round a few painters but i dont know of anyone local (leicestershire) who does this and i wouldnt know who was good and who was to be avoided.

Any thoughts?

Kayak.

How longs a piece of string :lol: seriously depends on how good a job you want the last time i had mine done because i didnt have time while i was in dry dock and just wanted a tidy up cost me £500 didnt include the roof and 2 blokes 2 days single colour made it shinny and presentable for 3 years rub down undercoated and 2 top coats didn`t worry me if it got scratched a bit and was a 100% better than it was :lol:

You could save yourself money by doing the surface preparation yourself. Professional painters often skip this aspect of the job. I've seen pros doing blacking in boatyards and the surface they black over leaves a lot to be desired. So, you can spend some time sanding down the area and then find out where there's a really good boat painter available. Most people can do their own painting but I accept a professional can offer a higher standard.

Although I intend to paint my boat myself (with the help of a skilled friend) i was wondering how much i could expect to pay for a top class job from someone well respected in the business.

Im thinking along the lines of a single colour on the cabin sides with a light coloured roof and some coach lines ( i think that is what they are called) to frame the windows and break up the sides a little. I was going to call round a few painters but i dont know of anyone local (leicestershire) who does this and i wouldnt know who was good and who was to be avoided.

Any thoughts?

Kayak.

My friend paid 6 grand at Braunston. Two main colours and the name put on, think the boat is about 56foot. Another done at Fenny was about 7grand, but a pukka job, very well prepared and painted - lots of coats of paint, sign writing - the works. Makes you think doesn't it?

The bottom line is that to have a proper paint job done will not be cheap, there is an awful lot of work involved and the only way to do it cheap is to cut corners.

You are probably looking at around £7K but you could pay more if you are after a really stunning job from a real expert in the boat painting world.

Thanks for the answers chaps, its about what i was expecting.

Now, Dulux.com here i come!

K!

forget the dulux if you can get this paint locally its good hard and idiot proof(nearly) and if its good enough for the queen its good enough for me and its a very good price :lol:

http://www.dacrylate.co.uk/

Try Sileby Mill, they've just done our boat. I'm not certain if they can slip a broad boat. They appear to have been thorough with the preparation and used Craftmaster paints applied by brush to get a good finish on an old boat. As for cost we thought we got a good job for a fair price. Suggest you give them a ring.

Thanks all thats great.

Sileby is just up the road/river.

Im headed straight there after work to see f they can quote me happy. I still think that i am too tight to pay that much although i understand how those sort of prices can be justified. Also, i dont want to be scared that every little overhanging branch is going to scratch my paint or accused by the trads of haviong a floating gin palace!

I saw a good vidio on youtube of a chap painting a narrowboat. He puts it on with a roller and then goes over with a dry brush.

Hay ho..........ive a lot more to do before i can think of paint, plumbing, electrics, T&G, bathroom, galley, bedroom, saloo.............................!

K