LPG Gas Pipe routing

snaps

Featured Posts

Hello,

This may have been covered before but the search facility is not very exacting. I have run the gas pipe fron the gas locker through the bulkhead (through a bulk head fitting), I then decided to go down to the water pipes (well just above) and run them both in a boxed off section to the kitchen. Now there are no joints in this section only at the kitchen itself where it has a T split for hob and oven, and the lid on boxed of section can be removed for inspection. Is the acceptable, the BSS scheme only advises that the gas pipes are run high or at gunwale level.

Any suggestions

Thanks

Si

I would go with the advice. Why route the gas pipe down by the water pipes anyway? Under the gunwhales is a good place on most boats.

Although it doesn't sound like you'd have any joints down there, I think the reasoning for the pipes being routed higher is that if they're low down should they develop a leak you might not smell it until your bilges were full of gas.

Hello,

This may have been covered before but the search facility is not very exacting. I have run the gas pipe fron the gas locker through the bulkhead (through a bulk head fitting), I then decided to go down to the water pipes (well just above) and run them both in a boxed off section to the kitchen. Now there are no joints in this section only at the kitchen itself where it has a T split for hob and oven, and the lid on boxed of section can be removed for inspection. Is the acceptable, the BSS scheme only advises that the gas pipes are run high or at gunwale level.

Any suggestions

Thanks

Si

Hi,

Not just the BSS, but PD(formerly BS) 5482:3 and ISO 10239 codes as well.

Kind regards

Rob@BSS Office

Although it doesn't sound like you'd have any joints down there, I think the reasoning for the pipes being routed higher is that if they're low down should they develop a leak you might not smell it until your bilges were full of gas.

One other possibility is so the gas can fall out for servicing?

With the pipe down near the floor, gas can stay in the lowest bit and (ok should be compression) blow lamp causes wumph!!

Edited by RobinJ

I have run the gas pipe fron the gas locker through the bulkhead (through a bulk head fitting), I then decided to go down to the water pipes (well just above) and run them both in a boxed off section to the kitchen. <snipped text>. Is the acceptable, the BSS scheme only advises that the gas pipes are run high or at gunwale level.

Firstly you say you've gone "down to the water pipes" but you don't mention where these water pipes are installed. I assume assume floor level - is that right?

Secondly you ask is it "acceptable". Acceptable to whom? Acceptable to anyone inspecting for compliance with BSS and/or Bs 5284-3:2005 LPG installations in boats (now replaced with ISO 10239:2000), I'd imagine you mean, as it must be acceptable to you or you wouldn't have done it!

Now it's usually helpful to read what the standard with which you are trying to comply actually says. I don't have a copy of ISO 10239:2000 but I believe it's identical to BS 5284-3:2005 LPG installations in boats.

BS 5284-3:2005 states:

12 Installation of pipework

12.1 Pipework design considerations

Pipework should be as short as practicable between cylinders and the highest rated appliances.

Pipework should be as short and as high up as practicable within the hull (preferably at gunwale level).

All pipework should be accessible.

Except for bulkhead fittings, there should be no joints or fittings in pipework within engine compartments.

A test fitting should be installed in the pipework in the event such a facility is not available for use on an

appliance.

The number of pipe fittings and joints should be kept to a minimum.

Joints should be made at a point where stress is minimized.

I suspect you are planning to rely on the fact that the word "should" is used, and not the word "must". You will have trouble convincing any inspecting engineer that running a gas pipe at floor level is therefore ok because the whole doc is written using "should", and never "must". This is interpreted by people is the gas industry as meaning the same as "must" for the purposes of compliance. Therefore your gas pipe at floor level is NOT ok!

Hope that helps.

Cheers, Mike (CORGI gas bod)

Doesn't all [gas] pipework have to be visible along its entire length, not just have the facility to be visible (ie: behind a hatch)?? Or did I just imagine that?

I thought that was the preference for under the gunwale, as it's all out in the open but the only place you can really see it is from lying down on the floor.

Doesn't all [gas] pipework have to be visible along its entire length, not just have the facility to be visible (ie: behind a hatch)?? Or did I just imagine that?

I thought that was the preference for under the gunwale, as it's all out in the open but the only place you can really see it is from lying down on the floor.

Many parts of your installations (not just gas) need to be visible enough so they can be inspected, but if that means removing hatches, etc (without resorting to the use of tools) it is usually acceptable.

Many parts of your installations (not just gas) need to be visible enough so they can be inspected......

Is that really true ?

OK, fuel lines and electrics in the engine room, I guess, but I can't think of anything else in the maain body of the boat that needs to be left visible of even easily accessed.

It's often good practice to do so, of course, but I'm not aware of requirements.

Is that really true ?

OK, fuel lines and electrics in the engine room, I guess, but I can't think of anything else in the maain body of the boat that needs to be left visible of even easily accessed.

It's often good practice to do so, of course, but I'm not aware of requirements.

All my wiring is behind 9mm ply panelling and unless you're superman or equipped with sonar, it's invisible. Mr BSS had no problem with that at all.

Just checked the BSS Guide and I'm talking out of my ****. Blimey, is that a first? No, I didn't think so. Behind hatches is fine and dandy.

Is that really true ?

isolators, shut-off valves .....