Water pump with Icelandic tendancies.

Greybeard

Featured Posts

Got to boat last night. Large wet spot on carpet.

After much swearing, wailing and gnashing of teeth I dismantled the shelving unit (re-design imminent) and found that the water pump had thrown a wobbly.

Techie question here.

Pump is Shureflo 2095-423-343 and is rated at 7.5 amps and is now apparently no longer made.

I've been offered a 2095-403-443 which is only rated at 4.5 amps.

I'm loosing the will to live after dealing with pump salesmen for half the day.

Is this pump suitable for purpose as no-one seems to be able to say yes or no without 20 minutes of diatribe by which time I've forgotten what I asked.

The briefest answer will receive a beer of their choice - either real or vitual depending on where they are.

ps

"I don't know" doesn't count because I'll know your a salesperson - :lol:

Amperage does not matter (except the wiring has to be big enough to take the load).

It is the pressure and flow rates that need to be right.

That sir, is what I was hoping would be the answer.

Pressure & flow rate are exactly the same but apparently the defunct one was for marine use.

Should I ever frequent the UNstable bar (never been in - bit posh for me) or be in Gloucetershire area I'l be happy to stand you a pint of your favourite ale.

Thanks.

Hi

Another thing to look at (forgot before sorry) is how far it can 'suck and blow' does not really effect the use in a narrowboat though.

All pumps (water) can 'blow' a lot further than they can 'suck'

Hi

Another thing to look at (forgot before sorry) is how far it can 'suck and blow' does not really effect the use in a narrowboat though.

All pumps (water) can 'blow' a lot further than they can 'suck'

Checked that as well thanks.

They both self prime from the same distance and both have the same flow rate.

After reading some of the info I received I've discovered that I hate pumps - there's just reams of numbers and codes that have to go with each other and this has got to match up with that or something bad will happen.

Actually I think the 2 reps I talked to were called Suck & Blow now you mention it. :lol:

Shurflo Trial King 7 16psi Shurflo Trial King 7 16psi

Automatic triple diaphragm self priming pump with integral pressure switch to ensure smooth flow. Robust die cast alloy housing with twin ball bearing drive. Spec: 12 volt, 7ltrs/min 16psi Suitable for low pressure water heaters e.g. Cascade, Rapide.

Price: £73.99 (€118,38)

Shurflo Trial King 7 30psi

Automatic triple diaphragm self priming pump with integral pressure switch to ensure smooth flow. Low amp draw. Robust die cast alloy housing with twin ball bearing drive. Spec: 12 volt, 7ltrs/min 30psi. Suitable for instant water heaters e.g. Rinnai, Vaillant & Truma Ultrastore.

Price: £73.99 (€118,38) Shurflo Trial King 7 30psi

Shurflow Trial King 10 40psi Shurflow Trial King 10 40psi

Automatic triple diaphragm self priming pump with integral pressure switch to ensure smooth flow. Low amp draw. Robust die cast alloy housing with twin ball bearing drive. Spec: 12 volt, 10ltrs/min 40psi. Suitable for instant water heaters e.g. Rinnai, Vaillant & Truma Ultrastore.

Price: £83.99 (€134,38) :lol: :lol: Do i get the job now

Automatic triple diaphragm self priming pump with integral pressure switch to ensure smooth flow. Robust die cast alloy housing with twin ball bearing drive. Spec: 12 volt, 7ltrs/min 16psi Suitable for low pressure water heaters e.g. Cascade, Rapide.

Automatic triple diaphragm self priming pump with integral pressure switch to ensure smooth flow. Low amp draw. Robust die cast alloy housing with twin ball bearing drive. Spec: 12 volt, 7ltrs/min 30psi. Suitable for instant water heaters e.g. Rinnai, Vaillant & Truma Ultrastore.

Automatic triple diaphragm self priming pump with integral pressure switch to ensure smooth flow. Low amp draw. Robust die cast alloy housing with twin ball bearing drive. Spec: 12 volt, 10ltrs/min 40psi. Suitable for instant water heaters e.g. Rinnai, Vaillant & Truma Ultrastore.

Excellent, why say 3 words when you can fill a page!

hahalaughingat.gif

Regarding pumps... are there any made for cold water pressurising that are centrifugal and not diaphragm ? The shower pressure varies between adequate and poor in 2 to 3 second cycles as it cycles the hysterisis between the pressure switch limits, which is very annoying :lol: - a tighter tolerance between them and a large accumulator might partially sort it, but then again a properly set centrifugal seems like it would be the best ....

Thanks

Nick

Edited by Nickhlx

Note that one of the pumps has a much lower pressure setting. This one would be no good to use with an accumulator (if you have one fitted). You want a pump with a cut-out at about 30psi and a cut-in of about 20psi.

Chris

Note that one of the pumps has a much lower pressure setting. This one would be no good to use with an accumulator (if you have one fitted). You want a pump with a cut-out at about 30psi and a cut-in of about 20psi.

Chris

Spotted the 30psi thanks.

Bought it, fitted it, tested it and now sorted.

And now back to the eber and the strange relay that only works when there's an 'R' in the day - yep it's working today! :lol:

Cheers.

Mike

ps

Electrics passed 1st time for new ticket - even more beer if we ever meet.

Thanks for advice from a while back.

Regarding pumps... are there any made for cold water pressurising that are centrifugal and not diaphragm ? The shower pressure varies between adequate and poor in 2 to 3 second cycles as it cycles the hysterisis between the pressure switch limits, which is very annoying :lol: - a tighter tolerance between them and a large accumulator might partially sort it, but then again a properly set centrifugal seems like it would be the best ....

Thanks

Nick

Sounds exactly like the classic case of what an accumulator will sort, assuming you currently don't have one at all.

Cheaper than a new pump too, but you do need the space for one, obviously.

I wouldn't rule out the cut out pressure being too low, a restriction between pump and shower head, or possibly the pump being oversized.

If it's a Shurflo pump or similar there's a pozi or socket screw in the middle of the pressure switch that adjusts cut out pressure.

cheers,

Pete.

• 2 years later...

Hiya,

I have a rinnai instant water heater and am having real problems now that the water is colder coming from the tank. I have a Jabsco Par Max 2.9 pump and also have an accumulator tank. I have tried with and without the accumulator tank, and at various pressures on the tank.

Basically when I bypass the accumulator tank the pump just cycles very quickly, the heater ignites and goes out very quickly too, and it doesn't get hot enough. When I use the accumulator tank, the heater goes out way before the pump kicks back in as the accumulator tank looses pressure. Not sure what to do! Do I need a pump with a higher cut-in pressure? Or just a slower pump to try and use without the accumulator tank?

Getting very frustrated with it now - as is the wife!

Thanks,

Ben

Hiya,

I have a rinnai instant water heater and am having real problems now that the water is colder coming from the tank. I have a Jabsco Par Max 2.9 pump and also have an accumulator tank. I have tried with and without the accumulator tank, and at various pressures on the tank.

Basically when I bypass the accumulator tank the pump just cycles very quickly, the heater ignites and goes out very quickly too, and it doesn't get hot enough. When I use the accumulator tank, the heater goes out way before the pump kicks back in as the accumulator tank looses pressure. Not sure what to do! Do I need a pump with a higher cut-in pressure? Or just a slower pump to try and use without the accumulator tank?

Getting very frustrated with it now - as is the wife!

Thanks,

Ben

Funnily enough I've recently put a Par Max 3 on that's a bit eager to cut out; it's started cycling quite rapidly when the tap's open.

I suppose increasing the cut out pressure will help; I will need to fiddle... I'm sure a saw a screw!

Funnily enough I've recently put a Par Max 3 on that's a bit eager to cut out; it's started cycling quite rapidly when the tap's open.

I suppose increasing the cut out pressure will help; I will need to fiddle... I'm sure a saw a screw!

Do you have an accumulator tank with that?

Also - just noticed there are actually two versions of the Par Max 3 - with different pressure cut outs. Do you know if it's the 40 PSI version of the 25 PSI version?

Do you have an accumulator tank with that? no

Also - just noticed there are actually two versions of the Par Max 3 - with different pressure cut outs. Do you know if it's the 40 PSI version of the 25 PSI version?

I can't tell from the box...

get a jabsco parmax 3. these just dont seem to break...ever!

Our first pump was a Par Max 3; it didn't last the year, I was skeptical of buying another however it was all we could get hold of.

I can't tell from the box...

It's the 25 version... Can't turn it up either. :(

I'm wondering; as it's a new development, the pump having been in situ for a couple of weeks, whether the switch has just "bedded in" and we're stuck with it; thus I'll end up fitting an accumulator, or whether there's an underlying plumbing issue being revealed. It's affecting hot & cold now and slowly getting more noticeable.

We'll need quite a big accumulator as we've 120l of hot water... I think I'm getting accumulators and prv's mixed up though edit... ET's even.

Edited by Smelly