Black Country Capers

RLWP

Featured Posts

Thanks to people who replied to the original thread Here. Here's a description in many episodes of last weeks voyage

Hatton - Birmingham - Titford - Sneyd - Cannock extension - Angelsea Basin - Walsall - Ocker Hill - Perry Barr - Minworth - Anstey - and more..

Day 1 Friday Aug 1st Hatton top lock - Rowington Embankment

Moored up in the dark, fed ducks by torchlight

Richard

Day 2 Saturday Aug 2nd

Rowington Embankment to Wareings Green

Filled up with water at Kingswood while waiting for Jenny and Paul. Jenny and Paul are out for a day on the boat - little do they know that they are doing the lapworth flight!

Lapworth locks now have little wooden posts on the offside, although none of them show any signs of rope marks. Very quiet.

Stopped for lunch above lock 2. Dropped Jenny and Paul above Hockley Heath. Shopped at Wedgies Bakery at Illshaw Heath, as usual drooled over all of the wonderful things! Moored at Wareings Green and had an OK meal at the Blue Bell Cider House.

Edited by RLWP

hmm... there seems to be a distinct lack of Oxford canal on your journey! I hope you will post lots of pictures so we can see what it is like in the depths of darkest england! Have you slayed any dragons yet?

hmm... there seems to be a distinct lack of Oxford canal on your journey! I hope you will post lots of pictures so we can see what it is like in the depths of darkest england! Have you slayed any dragons yet?

Oxford canal comes later - only the north bit though. Not many pictures, too busy boating

Richard

Day 3 Sunday

Wareings Green to Old Turn

Saw unidentified GWR 4-6-0 on Shakespeare Express. Bought Diesel at Lyons boat yard 84p per litre. Swing bridge at Tunnel Lane has gone missing!

It is still a very very long way from Kings Norton junction to Old Turn. Made good progress until we caught up with two restaurant boats. Moored outside NIA. Had a wander about to see Fiddle and Bone and the round stable block.

Simple stuff so far.

Day 4 Monday

Old Turn to Sneyd Junction

Damn, missed the turn into the Icknield loop. Soho loop has lots of brick walls with doors and windows at water level. What happened to the shop by the canal at Winson Green road? The one with "Adams Old Monk Port - 4/6 a bottle" painted on the wall? It was there last time I saw it 35 years ago...

Up the Smethwick locks to Oldbury Junction. Up the Crow and on to Titford pools. Taking the advice of a fisherman we turned at the junction of the Portway and Causeway Green branches. We were the first boat that he had seen for about four weeks. Took on water by the pumphouse. There are some useful visitor moorings here. Back down the Crow - if you stir up the mud at the bottom you can still smell the tar from Thomas Clayton's yard.

Old main line to Factory junction - and we saw a moving boat!! (No Problem)

Factory Junction to Horseley Fields junction then up the Wyrley and Essington. Had to stop once to clear prop due to bad boating. I took the wrong line coming through a bridge and into a right hand turn and picked up some debris on the inside of the turn. Ended up in the rubbish on the outside and had to have a trip down the weedhatch.

Be prepared to talk to people on these canals - fishermen, walkers, kids, gongoozlers - everyone. They don't see many boats and are curious and friendly.

There are a few moorings on this stretch as detailed by Pearly in the other thread. They are generally 1-2 boats long on the offside with stockading and a BW locked door.

THERE ARE NO VISITOR MOORINGS AT SNEYD JUNCTION. We filled up with water and during a trip down the weedhatch (picked up a bit of carpet maneuvering around the edges of Sneyd basin) I noticed we had a problem with the aquadrive. Earlier the prop had given something submerged a good metallic clonk. This seemed to have sheared two of the capscrews completely leaving one loose and one working. Decided to moor on the water point overnight.

Total of two trips down the weedhatch

Edited by RLWP

Day 5 Tuesday

Sneyd Junction to Anglesea Basin

Decided the best solution to the sheared bolt problem was a gentle cruise to Norton Canes. As the canal nears Pelsall it takes on a completely different character. Turned left at Pelsall jn and up to the end of the Cannock extension.

I now have to sing the praises of Norton Canes Boat Builders. Although they were short handed due to staff on holiday they were extremely helpful. As they had no staff free they lent us tools and workshop facilities and had someone get new bolts for us. As Graham didn't have the equipment he passed us on to Bob in the machine shop to get the sheared off bolts out of the adapter flange. Eventually we had to argue up the price for the bolts and the machining that was done as Bob and Graham were reluctant to take what we offered. These people could not have been more helpful and friendly. Thank you Graham and Sarah Edgson. (Sarah is also a canalworld member!). They weld a nice bow too.

By the time I had finished hiding under an umbrella and everything was bolted back together it had stopped raining. Reversed back to the Grove and winded.

Back to Pelsall and on to Brownhills. Shopped at Tescos. On to Catshill jn then up towards Anglesea basin. Ate at the Anchor Inn - food Ok and BANKS'S BITTER!

On to Anglesea basin and moored overnight. If this piece of water was on a busier canal it would be packed out with boats, we were the only boat there. Had a very peaceful night. No trips down weedhatch all day.

DSCF0057.JPG

Edited by RLWP

Day 6 Wednesday

Anglesea Basin to Ocker Hill

Picked up fresh crew for the day. Met Phil, Gillian and three teenage boys at the Anchor Inn. Some stuff about parking the car and away.

Retraced route to Birchills jn then turned down Walsall canal. Stopped at George Stephenson for lunch. Tidy chain pub with only one type of bitter - lots of types of l*g*r! Good two for one deal on meals.

On down Walsall locks. Water very clear and locks well maintained. Day crew well employed on lock duties. Picked up length of wooden bannister rail floating in the cut. Canal from here very weedy with many trips down the weedhatch, usually accompanied with chats with passing gongoozlers. Worst stretch was up to the Anson branch junction. Weed clears after Bugvale bridge. Sent Phil off to get taxi to find car. Whilst hanging over the edge of a bridge explaining his plans a passing white van tells him not to jump! Mystery object in the water below Darlaston Road bridge causes stern to jump up momentarily.

Moored up in Ocker Hill visitor moorings. These are excellent with a helpful and friendly mooring officer (who's name I didn't get). The visitor moorings are locked overnight and are mixed in with the residential moorings. Wonderful shower room. Highly recommended.

Paid off day crew and had a very peaceful night. Multiple trips down weedhatch, mostly for weed!

DSCF0061.JPG

Edited by RLWP

Day 7 Thursday 7th August

Ocker Hill to Minworth

We had a bit of a rethink here. We were expecting a new crew member to join us but unfortunately she couldn't make it. We were about a day ahead of our planned shedule too. We originally planned to do the Garrison flight, the Camp Hill locks and then along the GU to Hatton. If we wanted to add a day back in then there were only a few options, mostly involving retracing our steps or a lot of locks. Instead we did a bit of lateral thinking and researched boat yards.

Washed the other side of the boat - so far we had been moored with the towpath on the right. Out of Ocker Hill, winded the boat by pulling the stern around with a rope and up to Tame Valley junction. The Tame Valley is a 'serious' canal much like the New Main Line - dead straight, two towpaths. Passed a moored boat at Wednesbury. Sue meanwhile 'phoned round to get quotes and availability for hull blacking. We booked in at Hillmorton for week beginning 18th August. Over the railway and into the middle of the M5-M6 triangle. After the Rushall Junction the water cleared again. Incidentally a lot of the canals in this area have very clear water with visibility down to two or more feet.

Met a duck doing a 'wounded bird' imitation in the Tower Hill cutting to draw the boat away from her ducklings. Most Black Country ducks have a very strange behaviour. Instead of flocking towards a boat for bread they usually get scared and fly away!

We had been warned by several cyclists that some of the pounds were down on the Perry Barr locks. As two were practically empty and as there was a prominently displayed 'phone number at the top lock we called the lock-keeper but got customer services instead. They said that they would send someone to have a look at it. If they did we never saw them!

Had to fill pounds between 3 and 4 and then between I think 6 and 7 which we did by passing water through the lock as the boat decended (both bottom paddles open, one top paddle open). Took a bit of time but it got us through. Stopped for lunch below lock 7.

Things got busy below lock 8. We met a boat coming up, then above lock 10 there was a work party remaking the towpath and using a boat to repair brickwork, then below lock 11 we met another boat! Three moving boats in under an hour!! Down the last two locks and then under Spaghetti Junction. You really need to travel this bit to appreciate the complexity of the roads above.

No boats at Salford jn so straight on on the Birmingham and Fazeley, eventually mooring up outside the Hare and Hounds at Minworth. On entering the Hare and Hounds had a strange Deja Vue experience. Same bar layout, same tables, same menu as the George Stephenson! Better beer choice though - PEDIGREE! Quiet mooring for the night.

Summarising the BCN - We had been from Dorridge to Wolverhampton, Norton Canes, Walsall, Perry Barr and out to Minworth. In all that time we had seen hardly any boats off the beaten track, had only one canal where we had to go down the weed hatch excessively (Walsall canal), had not been shouted at, had no stones thrown at us or any other unpleasantries. We had spoken to just about every towpath user, some of whom had gone out of their way to let you know about problems ahead. When we needed help we met some great people who were keen to assist. All in all this had been a really positive experience.

Day 8 Friday 8th August

Minworth to Atherstone top lock

Did some 'phoning around and arranged to pick up our youngest son. Curdworth locks were OK. The following boat kindly took over closing up the locks to speed us both up. Picked up Chris at Drayton Manor swing bridge.

Stopped at Fazeley Jn to do some shopping at Tesco Express.

Amazingly we only had to wait for a boat to come out of the bottom lock at Glascote. Several boats waiting to come down though.

Approaching bridge 64 we were warned by a boat about the following Canaltime boat as they were very new. Slowed right down approaching bridge but too late. Canaltime boat with three girls stood on the front caught us neatly on the bow button. No damage and nobody hurt - we all have to start somewhere.

Cruised gently through Alvecote marina as Canaltime hirers were getting their instruction - boats everywhere. I got distracted looking at Australia and Kangeroo (?) and had to steer hard to avoid running into the bank. Hummm.

Jaguar at the Narrowcraft yard by bridge 49 looks very nice. Made good progress up the Atherstone flight and moored up just above Atherstone top lock. Ate at the Red Lion - superb burger and Warwickshire Brewery's GODIVA ale, delicious.

Edited by RLWP

Day 9 Saturday 9th August

Atherstone top lock to Ansty

Wet, windy, rainy, damp, blowy, horrible!

Hatshill yard still charming though.

Met the tug Sickle coming through Nuneaton. Big queue of boats doing the turn at Hawksbury Junction. As there was a boat waiting to go through the narrows I took a rope off the bows and strapped the boat around the turn using the strapping posts. Interesting to see how the rope follows the grooves in the post. Waited as boats alternated through the stop lock. Paused for lunch by the transformers.

Cruised on and arranged to be picked up at Ansty. Tied up between bridges 16 and 17 on pins - rope well out at the front and a rope and spring at the back.

Pictures now added for Anglesea Basin and Ocker Hill

Richard

Edited by RLWP

I think that that concludes this trip really. I may add something about Hillmorton and then the trip back to Hatton later on, but for the off-the beaten-track stuff on the BCN there's no more to add.

Hope that this has been useful.

So, if you have been reading, thank you.

Richard

Hi Richard,

Your cruise diary makes great reading, especially as I know some of the areas very well.

It was good to meet you both at Norton Canes, even thought the weather was so bad. I actually saw you pass our house on tuesday on your way from Norton Canes to Anglesea Basin, then again on Wednesday morning. It's not very often we get passing boats, one or two a day if we are lucky.

Hi Richard,

Your cruise diary makes great reading, especially as I know some of the areas very well.

It was good to meet you both at Norton Canes, even thought the weather was so bad. I actually saw you pass our house on tuesday on your way from Norton Canes to Anglesea Basin, then again on Wednesday morning. It's not very often we get passing boats, one or two a day if we are lucky.

Thanks Sarah. You are the first CWDF member that I have met in the real world!

Richard

Summarising the BCN - We had been from Dorridge to Wolverhampton, Norton Canes, Walsall, Perry Barr and out to Minworth. In all that time we had seen hardly any boats off the beaten track, had only one canal where we had to go down the weed hatch excessively (Walsall canal), had not been shouted at, had no stones thrown at us or any other unpleasantries. We had spoken to just about every towpath user, some of whom had gone out of their way to let you know about problems ahead. When we needed help we met some great people who were keen to assist. All in all this had been a really positive experience.

Excellent read, Richard - thanks for sharing.

I'm always keen to learn more about the current day BCN. I'd love to spend more time there, but it's too far from home to get there very often.

We did have two separate passages through parts of Birmingham on our recent trip, and found it incredibly quiet, with very few other boats moving.

I endorse your comments. No problems, nor hint of any problems. Nor did we have to go anywhere near the weed hatch, (in Birmingham, that is!).

I'm not a big "city" person, but there is something magic about arriving in the centre of this city by canal, and only having to go a few hundred yards to be in the thick of all the night life. Very different from my distant memories of the BCN in the 1970s, when you were told there was only about one safe location, and where most of the towpath was barricaded off from the outside world, making access to and from the canal remarkably difficult.

To anybody doing a "ring" involving Brum, I'd say "try not to rush through - try and make some time to explore. It's really quite unique".

Alan

Excellent read, Richard - thanks for sharing.

I'm always keen to learn more about the current day BCN. I'd love to spend more time there, but it's too far from home to get there very often.

We did have two separate passages through parts of Birmingham on our recent trip, and found it incredibly quiet, with very few other boats moving.

I endorse your comments. No problems, nor hint of any problems. Nor did we have to go anywhere near the weed hatch, (in Birmingham, that is!).

I'm not a big "city" person, but there is something magic about arriving in the centre of this city by canal, and only having to go a few hundred yards to be in the thick of all the night life. Very different from my distant memories of the BCN in the 1970s, when you were told there was only about one safe location, and where most of the towpath was barricaded off from the outside world, making access to and from the canal remarkably difficult.

To anybody doing a "ring" involving Brum, I'd say "try not to rush through - try and make some time to explore. It's really quite unique".

Alan

Thanks for your comments Alan. The northern bits of the BCN are quite fascinating. As a contrast, we moved Tawny Owl from Ansty to Hillmorton for blacking on Saturday. At one point there were more boats chugging slowly ahead of us than I saw moving in three days on the BCN!

Richard