Cheer me up please

Water Rat.

Featured Posts

I let my friend sleep over on my little tub at the week end, with her two friends, and they HATED it. Too small, no water - they switched the pump off, nowhere to put huge suitcases and guitar, etc. etc. And, good grief had I been cleaning to make it nice for them too! To make matters worse it was raining AND friends of friend took offence at the memorial on top of Napton Hill marking the bombing of coventry during the war. They were German!!! Can I do anything right ever again - from now on - NO VISITORS, unless they are boaters of course. Please say something nice to me about loving the ditch life, or am I as mad as they clearly think I am?

I let my friend sleep over on my little tub at the week end, with her two friends, and they HATED it. Too small, no water - they switched the pump off, nowhere to put huge suitcases and guitar, etc. etc. And, good grief had I been cleaning to make it nice for them too! To make matters worse it was raining AND friends of friend took offence at the memorial on top of Napton Hill marking the bombing of coventry during the war. They were German!!! Can I do anything right ever again - from now on - NO VISITORS, unless they are boaters of course. Please say something nice to me about loving the ditch life, or am I as mad as they clearly think I am?

I think it's a case of either people get it or they don't get it. I've had a friend to stay this weekend and we've had an excellent time, I can't remember laughing that much for that long for ages. They've asked how soon they can come back and is totally envious of the stress free factor of boat life. Guess it just takes all sorts!

Luckily for me they were an expert spider catcher so I'm now officially free of 3 spiders :lol:)

Sarah

Aaawww, water rat........ :lol:

Don't fret, YOU are on the right side of life....they can't help it if they can't see the joy of this life.......

some are sane (us) and some are mad (them).......or is it the other way round??????????

either way, ignore it! You'll get visitors that can't help but envy you and your way of life, and just casual acquaintences too, so fret no longer, enjoy the choice you made, YOU ARE NOT ALONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

Edited by Ally

To make matters worse it was raining AND friends of friend took offence at the memorial on top of Napton Hill marking the bombing of coventry during the war. They were German!!!

Please say something nice to me about loving the ditch life, or am I as mad as they clearly think I am?

Have I got this right? Your German visitors took offence because they saw a war memorial commemorating the deaths of hundreds of Coventry residents during the blitz due to bombing by German forces? Why were they offended exactly? I'm sure they have similar memorials at Drezden.

I had a German flatmate once who told me that TV in the UK is full of war documentaries and she couldn't handle it. She said it's hard enough to be German with their history as it is, without beng constantly reminded of it, so perhaps that's why your visitors had a problem with the memorial. Still, I guess they should have thought about that before they invaded Poland :lol:

Anyway, as long as you like boat life that's all that really matters. Of course the approval of others can be important so your friends are clearly insensitive. Why not slag off their crap flats and houses next time you visit? :lol:

does nay matter. Laugh about it, write it down and then make sure you tell people you live in a bus stop and would love them to come and visit but there is no room for suitcases! When people visit me I always tell them exactly what to expect, perhaps they thought living on a boat was the same as a stately home!

Whenever we have boating (or CWDF) friends to stay on Alnwick they really appreciate it and we all have a good time.

It just isn't the same with non-boating friends, like the Germans, they just don't understand us . . .

Edited by NB Alnwick

Thank you everyone. Begining to see the funny side of things again. Anyhow I will be off travelling on her for the week and happy away from the land folk for a while. Safe cruising all.

We always enjoy watching non boaters remove the 3 extra layers of clothing when they visit in the winter 'cos of course we don't have heating (and is that a REAL cooker?) Have a good week :lol:

I have to say I always find it funny as whenever we have visitors, they tend not to stay long. don't think they can handle the rocking (which I don't notice anymore in normal movement) and having a conversation down the boat rather than across from each other.

Doesn't bother me, but bothers them. In my mother's case she doesn't do small spaces either so really doesn't help!

Look on the bright side. You get all the hob knobbs to yourself! :lol: