Best Excuse Of The Day.

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

Canaltime hirers, in all kinds of trouble, (just one boat from this company amongst many today).

Apparently the "skipper" had to go and park the car whilst the 15 minute "how to do canals" DVD was being shown.

So he missed it all.

Had they taken the trouble to re-show it, I'm sure things would have been going better for him!

Alan

(Oh, and having said we had had no trouble from speeders, we were moored on a lone wharf, whilst Cath went shopping, when a Canaltime boat went past at a speed probably adequate for water-skiing. I actually think I heard him speed up on his approach. Fortunately very tightly tied to rings, so going nowhere, but a very hefty rocking none-the-less. I was so stunned, I didn't even yell at them.)

Canaltime hirers, in all kinds of trouble, (just one boat from this company amongst many today).

Apparently the "skipper" had to go and park the car whilst the 15 minute "how to do canals" DVD was being shown.

So he missed it all.

Had they taken the trouble to re-show it, I'm sure things would have been going better for him!

Alan

(Oh, and having said we had had no trouble from speeders, we were moored on a lone wharf, whilst Cath went shopping, when a Canaltime boat went past at a speed probably adequate for water-skiing. I actually think I heard him speed up on his approach. Fortunately very tightly tied to rings, so going nowhere, but a very hefty rocking none-the-less. I was so stunned, I didn't even yell at them.)

Well that'll teach you won't it. I bet you said "oh it won't rain today" as well... sheesh! :lol:

over the years i've hired from Wyvern, Dart line, Anglo Welsh and Black Prince

Our first ever hiring was with Wyvern in 1976 who took us through Leighton Lock, ever since then we've told the hire company we were experienced......the only company who didnt take us at our word was Wyvern who still took us for a trip before final handover.

Edited by saltysplash

Here we go again – Canaltime bashing.

Recently I was moored in the basin at Market Harborough for a few days and had the opportunity of observing how the Canaltime handover works. Frankly, I have nothing but admiration for the care and attention paid to the hirers. In some cases several hours of instruction were given to nervous first-timers by the very experienced and knowledgeable boaters used as Canaltime trainers. Canaltime also has a formal arrangement with the lockies at Foxton to give hirers training on the use of locks – so they are certainly not let loose on the system without a reasonable understanding of how to use locks safely.

Admittedly I did see some complete idiots who simply wouldn’t listen to the careful instruction and others who were too jet-lagged (having just arrived on long distance flights a few hours earliers) to absorb very much. Also I spoke to one American couple who were expecting a timeshare in a London hotel, but because of some administrative error found themselves on a narrowboat. They nevertheless enjoyed the experience and are planning to return.

On the whole, the Canaltimers I met were keen to learn but they were baffled by the hostility of other boaters, some of whose behaviour was simply arrogant and boorish.

Before joining this forum, I had hired many times and from my own experience, there were two boats that I was wary of, they were Canaltime and Anglo Welsh.

Maybe they were not trained well, maybe they were to thick to take it in.

I do not know.

Maybe after some stupid sites seen, I was just more aware of them.

I try to give the benefit of the doubt but it is difficult some times. :lol:

Maybe it's different at Market Harborough, I don't know.

The boats we saw had all come from Sawley, I'm guessing, (dozens of 'em).

I'm not making it up. The hirers were telling us thay have only had 15 minutes of DVD, no idea what to expect, and were (mostly) grateful of help and advice.

Considering by the time they are on the T & M, they have already gone past weirs, up the full width of the Trent, and through powered locks, one can only guess at what might have occurred up to that point.

There is by the way, no excuse for Canaltime boats to motor full pelt past moored boats. They all have big red signs in front of the steerer telling them not to do so. Another case where signs just don't work ?

I agree BTW that Wyvern are better than most, and when the Major was in charge, nobody, however experienced, got to go anywhere without being seen through at least one lock. They have relaxed somewhat, because when we hired with them about 5 years back, I told them we knew what to do, but made it clear I had not boated for about 30 years. They still let usgo without any supervision, but I'm sure w would have been accompanied had we asked.

EDIT:

Edited to just be absolutely clear.

Apart with a couple of boats, I have no issue with canaltime hirers, most of whom seemed keen to learn, and do the right thing. My issue is with the organisation itself, who seem content to send most crews out with completely inadequate instruction. When we start encountering Market Harborough ones, I'll see if I can revise my opinions!

Edited by alan_fincher