Fame at last!

carlt

Featured Posts

Hi.

Is it a BW linear mooring or a private mooring?.

Albi

I'm not sure why you're asking but any of my personal business, that I'm willing to share, can be found on this thread:

Clicky

Lucy and Usk were my home and they were destroyed by thieves and vandals.

British Waterways are aware of my intentions for the boats and are satisfied. Quite frankly, they are all that count.

Edited because I forgot the link.

Edited by carlt

Looking back at Mr Fox's photographic contributions he appears to favour "interesting" boats, taking up valuable mooring space.

I suspect he is a continuous moorer who resents not being able to take over the moorings of other boats.

(this is a completely unsubstantiated slur on his character, of course. He will no doubt applaud such comments.)

They scrape the bottom of any old barrel

NBW = No Barrels Wasted!

Hi Carlt,

Thanks for the information, a sorry tale, I missed these posts because I was out of the country in May and June. So does one salvage or 'bite the bullett'? difficult choice.

Best of luck, but I would stress if you post something on an 'open' forum all questions are reasonable.

NBW - not all bad - CWF not all good, both contain useful information.

Albi.

Best of luck, but I would stress if you post something on an 'open' forum all questions are reasonable.

This isn't true.

A question may be unreasonable but that doesn't stop you having the right to ask it.

I also have the right to enquire about your motives for asking and, if I wish, refuse to answer.

Narrow minded world is right wing bigotted crap that is Tom Crossley's personal blog, dressed up as a serious news site.

All his rubbish is recycled, that's one good thing about it.

CWDF is an open forum with an open ended number of contributors, of all different political, and idealogical persuasions.

If he actually answered the criticisms levelled at him then he may warrant respect. He doesn't, therefore he's scum.

Edited by carlt

Well Tom (I can now confirm, we are on first name terms) has honoured me with a reply:

"Carl

Sorry you are so upset, but I thought the two boats hardly the waterway scene that BW want its attempt to get visitors, to actually see.

Tom" (reproduced exactly).

Aside from the poor English (the mark of a true journalist?) I believe he thinks he's actually speaking for BW!

"Carl

Sorry you are so upset, but I thought the two boats hardly the waterway scene that BW want its attempt to get visitors, to actually see.

Tom"

I am finding this a little hard to actually understand - what does it mean? is it some sort of code?

I am able to translate (I have a six year old son).

Carl

Sorry you are so upset but I am an embittered ex-journalist who is unable to get a job with my beloved Daily Mail.

I am the true voice of the people and I don't like your boats, therefore nobody likes your boats.

I am Robin Evan's true friend and confidant (in my own little world) and so can confidently say that everything BW has told you is a tissue of lies and they, like me, hate your boats.

... poor English (the mark of a true journalist?) ...

...and never letting the facts get in the way of a 'good' story. The older I get, the less I believe in the press - or whatever's on Tinternet.

If Carl were not the reasonable man I know him to be, he would be demanding a retraction, a 'put the facts straight', and an apology from narrowmindedworld straight away. Since said organ is not the Guardian, don't expect any corrections anytime soon!

If Carl were not the reasonable man I know him to be

Oooops!

Perhaps I should have read your post before firing off my reply to Tom's email:

"This is why your ignorant little blog is so tawdry.

You make judgements about things you know nothing about and dress yourself up as the voice of the waterways.

What an arrogant little twit!

British waterways are fully aware of the plans for my historic boats and are satisfied. That is all that counts.

Your opinion is worthless because you don't know the whole story.

If you think what you do is journalism then it is shoddy and unprofessional.

I guess you accept your ravings for what they are:

The bitter ramblings of a twisted has-been who is unemployable in the real world of journalism."

I won't be expecting a retraction, btw but at least he knows how I feel.

Oooops!

Perhaps I should have read your post before firing off my reply to Tom's email:

"This is why your ignorant little blog is so tawdry.

You make judgements about things you know nothing about and dress yourself up as the voice of the waterways.

What an arrogant little twit!

British waterways are fully aware of the plans for my historic boats and are satisfied. That is all that counts.

Your opinion is worthless because you don't know the whole story.

If you think what you do is journalism then it is shoddy and unprofessional.

I guess you accept your ravings for what they are:

The bitter ramblings of a twisted has-been who is unemployable in the real world of journalism."

I won't be expecting a retraction, btw but at least he knows how I feel.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:;)

I wish people would stop putting links to NBW on here - I am too nosey to resist, but every time my blood pressure goes through the roof.

Hi,

Has anybody tried writing a reasonable letter to NBW explaining all the facts about the boats and the salvaged goods on the bank?, all I see on this post are 'rumblings', every picture tells a story, lets hear that story or as much as you want to tell.

There is a 'letters to the Editor' column, send a letter and copy it here.

BW made a great play in it's annual report about the number of visitors to the waterways (of which licensed boaters and anglers are the only one's to pay for their visit), copy it to them as well.

There are 2 sides to every story, lets hear them both, (or as much of your side as you wish to tell).

ALBI.

Hi,

Has anybody tried writing a reasonable letter to NBW explaining all the facts about the boats and the salvaged goods on the bank?, all I see on this post are 'rumblings', every picture tells a story, lets hear that story or as much as you want to tell.

There is a 'letters to the Editor' column, send a letter and copy it here.

BW made a great play in it's annual report about the number of visitors to the waterways (of which licensed boaters and anglers are the only one's to pay for their visit), copy it to them as well.

There are 2 sides to every story, lets hear them both, (or as much of your side as you wish to tell).

ALBI.

Yes I wrote a reasonable letter to the editor when David Hymers demanded that my unlicensed, burnt out boat was removed from the canal, immediately.

I got no response, no retraction and no apology for the lies, based on ignorance, that were published in that nasty little site.

Forgive me for going for a more direct approach, this time. At least it got me a reply!

As to your final sentence, that is the beauty of CWDF. There are two sides to every story and both sides can be told here.

Spot the difference?

Sorry but there is only one side to this story, mine.

Somebody else has tried to tell it through blinkered, bigotted eyes.

Albi

What a thorughly reasonable idea. shame it won't work.

Carl

In order to be more famous than me, you have to actually have "Victor" slag you off by name so vehemently he then edits the article off his own bat. Try again looosserr.

Albi

What a thorughly reasonable idea. shame it won't work.

Carl

In order to be more famous than me, you have to actually have "Victor" slag you off by name so vehemently he then edits the article off his own bat. Try again looosserr.

Nah! Front page spread!

That can only be beaten by getting swmbo on page 3!

Front page of Narrow Minded World!

Clicky

My response:

"I am the owner of the two wooden narrowboats on your front page .

I have no intention of airing my private business on your bigotted little blog but, if you could pass on my email address, I would be happy to discuss the plans for these two boats with Mr Fox.

Alternatively Mr Fox could read all about Usk and Lucy on Canal World Discussion Forum. A canal website with a slightly less Daily Mail bias and eminently more entertaining than your sordid little rag."

It seems a fair question,deserving a more polite and informed response than your rude reply.

Hi,

all I see on this post are 'rumblings', every picture tells a story, lets hear that story or as much as you want to tell.

ALBI.

Have you actually READ the thread to which you are contributing? If you have, you will have seen the link to the earlier thread which gives you the whole story you apparently so fervently wish for.

:lol::lol:

Tony

(Dave, Debbys' husband here) - I very rarely read CWDF, if I'm honest, but I'm fully aware of the story of Usk and Lucy. More so, it seems, than Tom. I've had no exposure to .... no, I'd better not say "his organ", ahem, but it seems to me that Tom seems to delight in ascending the odd soap box or two in order to spout out "matters of great importance" to the narrowboating world.

If this is being termed "journalism", then can I point out that, as far as I'm aware, journalists first complete a degree in English. Mine took four years to do. After getting the silly hat, you are then expected to attend "journo school" for a year, where, amongst other things, tedious items such as "the laws of libel" and "the necessity for research" are explained - in some detail - as the problem with broadcasting an opinion, and not fact, can be somewhat costly to your average newspaper.

In my opinion, a nice phrase - Tom appears to be committing another cardinal sin - assuming that he was speaking for BW. I'm afraid that if he'd actually done the *professional* thing and made enquiries about who owned the boats - not the "boats" - he'd realise that not only was he completely wrong, but he was reporting very old news, and incorrect news, indeed.

Apart from that, any decent, reasonable publication with any degree of *journalistic integrity* - another phrase they teach you about in journo school, I believe, would, when having made a blunder, furnish those tarnished with an apology. If not just for the edification of its' readers.

So, my conclusion is......... Tom is coming across as "somewhat less than professional". At the end of the day, I may be a little late with my conclusion (as I mentioned, I'm no more than an occasional reader of CWDF) - but........ are we surprised that Narrowminded World has dropped a rollock again ? Honestly ? Answers on a postcard, please.

This is Carls' business. BW are aware of the situation, and the plans for Usk and Lucy. It is none of NMWs' business.

Tony,

I have read the thread and commented upon it (and expalined the rreason why I did not see it initially), but it's a news worthy story which all would have been interesting to all, (vandals setting fire to a a boat is dreadful news), let's read the story behind the picture on NBW's website'.

Mr Fox actually asked a question, why not answer it?.

CWF carried a post about poor work by a Surveyor recently, NBW carried a story about poor work by a Surveyor last week - investigation by me showed that the two incidents were not related but had common link.

Perhaps a follow up on these stories would produce something useful and beneficial for boaters - it just goes to show that there is room for 2 or more opinions on the waterways - use them all and a bigotted opinion about any of them does no good at all.

I am sorry that Carlt's email was posted after my comment about 'reasonable' letters, I quickly learnt in dealings with others (for what ever reason) that personal insults rarely got results.

ALBI

Tom" (reproduced exactly).

I think BW must be some sort of controll freaks, if this asumption is to be taken seriously,and as to the question of "why", well, apart from being able to moor beside them, it is this kind of thing is what attracts visitors to the canal. If you live on the canal you will possibly find more things that you would rather not see than any visitor would, as it will affect you more. In extreme cases visitors enjoy thinking "thank god that is'nt happening to me" and a glimpse into "what if it did". We are a strong nation as we don't need a sanitised existance to be safe and secure, the canal demonstrates this. There was a time when we did'nt need to have any policeing on some streatches to be safe! BW, and the tendancy to be erring towards a police state, lacking in freedom, wild plants, decent people and visible rare animals seem to go hand in hand, and their attitude is also beginning to only attract people who have found an institutionalised life comfortable.

Sometimes I find it hard to believe that it was common for there to be no tow path left, no system to pay, and children playing happily, gratis, as part of what was a beautifull free country called England. Nowdays people are leaving in droves, and we have extra police on the streets to guide the foreigners; who were not wanted in their own countries; through their turf wars...on our turf at our expense(well, if your not being paid by the police of course).