Stove advice

Justin

Featured Posts

Noah.

If you have a parrot why do you need an 'Ecofan'. Teach him /her to flap their wings at the appropriate time and place, after a bit of practise warm air will be circulating around your boat like a mediterenean breeze.

What other type of air conditioner could also hold a conversation with you.

John Squeers

Edited by John Orentas

John

Believe me, when the doors are locked for the evening and the bird takes flight down the boat, everything circulates in the downdraught! .......paperwork, playing cards, even cash on the rare occasions when I have enough to count! Forget Monopoly games, unless you use bluetack.

Noah

Re the Ecofan:

Having had reports of hoew incredible these were at sending heat all the way down the boat I bought one to put on my Squirrel at the front of the boat.

I am not yet convinced: the draft it produces is quite gentle and can't be felt by hand a couple of feet away. So the Jury is still out on that.

Parrots are probably far more efficient.

I have an Ecofan and it is marvellous - I was doubtful to start with as the draught produced is not that huge - but then again you can't feel the draught as hot air rises.

The proof is in the fact that there is no longer a blanket of hot air at the ceiling while your knees are freezing and that the bedroom at the back of the boat is warmer than it was before we had the fan.

How it works -

The base of the fan sits on the top of the stove and gets hot.

The top part of the fan is vaned to disperse the heat and so a temperature differential exists between the two bits of metal.

Current is generated at this junction (by someone's Principle of Thermo-Electronics no doubt!) and this is used to drive the fan motor.

Thus the hotter the bottom gets, the faster the fan runs.

Yes, £80 is a bit steep, but it works and I no longer feel the desperate urge to build a back boiler for the stove in order to get the central heating working again!