Not Going Anywhere!

Featured Posts

UPDATE #2

Thank you Chris for your last.

Ok - I disconnected the rigid connectors to the top of the three glow plugs and connected a piece of hy duty cable with ring terminals to top of plugs 1 and 2. IT WORKED :lol: The heater relay pulled in and then the engine fired up and happily ran.

Have now removed the inlet manifold and injector pipework to remove the three plugs. Got them all out OK . Have identified the type and number and ordered NGK replacements on line (About 3 times cheaper than a nameless ships chandlers.

I have never bled a diesel before so that will also be a first. I'm also concerned about whether there are any torque figures I have to use in refitting the diesel feed tubes and the plugs themselves. (Up to sheer and back half a turn?!). No chance of getting anything on the nuts other than an open jawed spanner.

Feel a lot better now I've had the thing (sorry boat) running

Tony

UPDATE #2

Thank you Chris for your last.

Ok - I disconnected the rigid connectors to the top of the three glow plugs and connected a piece of hy duty cable with ring terminals to top of plugs 1 and 2. IT WORKED :lol: The heater relay pulled in and then the engine fired up and happily ran.

Have now removed the inlet manifold and injector pipework to remove the three plugs. Got them all out OK . Have identified the type and number and ordered NGK replacements on line (About 3 times cheaper than a nameless ships chandlers.

I have never bled a diesel before so that will also be a first. I'm also concerned about whether there are any torque figures I have to use in refitting the diesel feed tubes and the plugs themselves. (Up to sheer and back half a turn?!). No chance of getting anything on the nuts other than an open jawed spanner.

Feel a lot better now I've had the thing (sorry boat) running

Tony

Yay! Good news!!! Don't worry too much about torques, just tighten enough so they don't leak. I usually slack off one injector at at time to ensure fuel is coming through but as you haven't disturbed the low pressure pipes there should be no problem.

All the best

Chris

• 10 years later...

bit of a longshot but i am the current owner of wee jenny and now have exactley the same problem...   ive read through this thread but dont quite understand how the problem was solved...  anyone able to explain for me?   thanks

The fault was a failed plug- short circuit. The solution was to replace it.

The thread first examined the starter and it's wiring but that was OK.  It then looked at the heater plug relay and the plugs.

Disconnect and Test the heater plugs individually and replace the duff one(s).  Bleed injectors (removed for access to change plug).  Start engine.

If both plugs are OK you have a different fault.

N

Edited by BEngo
Summarise process.
  • Happy 1

How long is a piece of string? Ten years would be good if they were used daily but about what you would expect if used once a week.  Also depends on who made them.  Chinese copy stuff can be very poor, or very good, but you can't tell till you try it.

N

Its a Kubota with the copper strap connections to the heater plugs with plastic sleeving on to insulate, yes? Something has dropped into the strap and shorted it to earth, happens all the time.?

Oh see I was too late you found the collapsed heater plug.

Its a rare fault, usually they just fail open circuit.

Well done, you will know next time.

That single isolator switch in the negative is a poor idea, they pack up too often. better with 2 switches, one in each positive, engine and cabin battery.

Edited by Boater Sam
added more

hi yes its a kubota 3.21 ...   im not sure if it is the heater plug or not yet...    but its the same problem the previous owner had so just assuming it could be the same cause but i will check the strap aswell....    there are now 2 isolater switches for the batterys... not done by me though... was like it when i brought it....