I've found where the voltage went!

Smelly

Featured Posts

There's a wire, that my multimeter thinks is continuous, between the inverter earth connection, the hull and the engine. The bolt through which it fixes to the engine has a circuit with the bolt through the bulkhead, although in fairness that could just as easily be the hull... I'll take it off and check tonight.

Is the inverter earth connection a screw terminal on the case?

If so you might want to check it's connected internally:

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php...st&p=243639

cheers,

Pete.

There's a wire, that my multimeter thinks is continuous, between the inverter earth connection, the hull and the engine. The bolt through which it fixes to the engine has a circuit with the bolt through the bulkhead, although in fairness that could just as easily be the hull... I'll take it off and check tonight.

That means the case of the inverter is bonded to the hull.

It does not mean the neutral and earth are bonded.

It does not mean the earth on the socket is actually connected to the inverter case.

Gibbo

fact or rumour?

At present its only a "best practice" recommendation. These have a habit of turning into "rules"

Best practice

We highly recommend that new electrical installations be made

with multi-stranded conductors as single solid-wire cables are vulnerable to

breakage where there is high vibration or repeated flexing.

Edited by stuart

Is the inverter earth connection a screw terminal on the case?

If so you might want to check it's connected internally:

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php...st&p=243639

cheers,

Pete.

Good point. If the neutral and earth are bonded on the back of the socket in the inverter but not actually connected to the case then that would cause exactly what smelly is seeing.

Gibbo

I might retract my apology then though... I was wallowing in my deprecation. :lol:

As it's a new inverter, assuming that the "earth bonding" or at least the wire is ok, and knowing it's a new sterling "Qpower" 1K inverter with a plastic case, is there a way I can test it or, if the earth bond is ok then is it a back to the shop job?

and is the immersion still broke?

I've read that thread now, can I run a continuity test/diode test accross Live/neutral and earth with the inverter disconnected from the 12V? I'll be down the 'ole tonight so it's be a quick job to do.

Edited by Smelly

I might retract my apology then though... I was wallowing in my deprecation. :lol:

As it's a new inverter, assuming that the "earth bonding" or at least the wire is ok, and knowing it's a new sterling "Qpower" 1K inverter with a plastic case, is there a way I can test it or, if the earth bond is ok then is it a back to the shop job?

Bonding an inverter output to the hull should be done on the output wires NOT with the casing. Earthing the casing is a different issue. You're supposed to bond both of them because not all inverters have them connected internally.

No the immersion isn't broke.

Gibbo

I fully recommend getting a qualified electrician to have a look.

To sort these problems out safely really needs someone competent in electrics on site, the best that can be done on a forum like this is point out where the problem may lie.

If you print off the posts on inverter earthing and show them to the electrician it might help them get to the cause of the problem quicker.

cheers,

Pete.

However time and tide wait for no man, and the inverter is a key bit of our existence, so if it's broke or dodgy I'd like to be able to remove all possibility of 'lectrocuting myself (again) and find out toot sweet.

We do rely on it quite heavily so a quick look and an indicative yes or no would put my mind at ease before, at least, Thursday when I can start thinking about paying qualified electricians. Anyone recommend someone good at marine electrics around Brum?

On the other hand, as there's a good hint that the immersion's ok, then I can stop worrying about stripping all my new panelling out to get at it. Cheers Chris that's cheered me no end.

Well, testing complete, I think.

With the inverter isolated and the MCCB switched on, the wire from the inverter earth connection to the hull/engine is continuous. There is no connection between either the earth terminal block in the consumer unit or the neutral terminal block in the consumer unit to the earth terminal on the back of the inverter. That says to me there's no continual earth connection through the inverter so in my admittedly limited knowedge it's going back to the shop!

This raises a separate question... should the earth on the ring be bonded to the hull separate of the inverter? Probably useful to point out there's no changeover switch per se between shoreline and inverter, just a swappable 13A plug from the consumer unit.

Well, testing complete, I think.

With the inverter isolated and the MCCB switched on, the wire from the inverter earth connection to the hull/engine is continuous. There is no connection between either the earth terminal block in the consumer unit or the neutral terminal block in the consumer unit to the earth terminal on the back of the inverter. That says to me there's no continual earth connection through the inverter so in my admittedly limited knowedge it's going back to the shop!

Which?

I GET IT!

I need to bond the earth from the consumer unit to the hull. That'll fix it. I've been wondering where the "output wires" were and couldn't see the wood for the trees! Fresh eyes this morning have removed the cloud of rubbish I was looking through!

Thank you * several...

:lol:

I GET IT!

I need to bond the earth from the consumer unit to the hull. That'll fix it. I've been wondering where the "output wires" were and couldn't see the wood for the trees! Fresh eyes this morning have removed the cloud of rubbish I was staring through!

Thank you * several... If you're passing Brum I owe you a pint or five (for your patience alone)

:lol: