Size of Live aboard

sal garfi

Featured Posts

Dear All,

My wife and I have been talking endlessly about taking the plunge and living aboard. However, it's very probable that we'll be strapped for cash, and since we don't what to buy a boat that's too old or will require extra maintenance, we're thinking that we may have to economize by buying a smaller boat. So the question is, in all of your opinions, how small a boat do you think a couple could live in over a considerable length of time, and in the early years, continually cruise.

Any views on the matter?

Sal garfi

Me and swmbo spent many happy months on a 30' narrowboat but, as our leisure activities involved boating, playing scrabble and making love, we didn't need too much room.

The latter activity soon ensured we needed to get a bigger boat, though.

I think only you can really decide that.

We live on a 62 foot boat, but we have four of us, and it is enough room. If it were just me and hubby I'd go for something smaller, maybe 55 foot, so we had room for us, bedroom, bathroom, kitchen etc, but also a study room possibly or somewhere to house things like a washing machine if so desired.

Also size depending on where I would want to navigate to, as some locks are only 60" (not many, but some), and also a smaller boat is more managable moving, turning etc, less paintwork to maintain.

Have you hired before? If not, it would be a good step to try and get boat for a week and see what you feel like living on board for a week. It's not true comparison, but at least it gives you an idea of space, and what you think you could live with in terms of space.

Of course I'm talking narrow boats, but you could always go for a wide beam depending ont he area you are going to be in, which gives you more room, but not as easy to move around unless you are very experienced I would imagine.

There are some very reasonably priced second hand boats that have been loved and well maintained, so you could pick up something reasonable. Look around marina's and on line boat sales to give an idea of prices for sizes, layouts etc, and go and have a look around a few too.

Check out what you want if you are continuously cruising then it needs to be set up to do that, not one that had mostly been hooked up in a marina which may not have the right set up for live on the cut.

Do your home work and you won't go far wrong.

As other have said you takes your choice.

As you intend to cruise some in early years, you have partially answered the answer yourself <58ft (this means been able to access all of the network).

I personallly think 50-55ft is ideal in many ways, but go and see as many boats as you can. Ask some hard questions

a) How much 'stuff' am I decamping onto boat?

:lol: Do I want washing machine/dishwasher/tumble dryer

c) Will I be entertaining overnight, often

d) Do I want freezer in addition to fridge?

e) Hobbies, do these take up room (in my case books too many)

f) Am I going to work from the boat (even if it is writing a novel)

g) Add anything else that will take up space)

Some here will say you can live on a 40 footer, but I think ok for one not 2.

Also if good with hands look at a good used boat, scores about

We (me and the other half) set 45 ft as the absolute minimum for our liveaboard. I think that in terms of personal space, as long as you have two distinct spaces (eg living room/bedroom) so that you can escape by yourself for a bit, its OK. larkshall has outlined good things to think about in terms of practicality.

Basically when you set foot on a boat you'll know. Some 50fters will feel smaller than a 45ft for example simply because of spatial arrangement. What will hopefully soon be our 48fter is so well designed that it feels longer.

Well, everyone's talking sense, and I've just popped into the ust Canals Forum where there was a thread on boat size. Luckily the two of us aren't very big on posessions so we might get away with a 45 to 50 foot boat if we can't stretch our finances. Hhmmmm....

They walked along by the old canal,

A little confused, I remember well

stopped into a strange hotel,

the neon burning bright

he felt the heat of the night hit him like a freight train,

brought on by a simple twist of fate.

My favourite Dylan song of all time, thanks for reminding me of it's beauty :lol: :lol:

And I know, :lol: !!!!

Edited by goldtone