Can we help?

Gary Peacock

Featured Posts

I have just had a phone call from a rather upset gentleman.

He's misplaced or possibly had stolen his 60ft cruiser style Liverpool Boats narrowboat.

It was entrusted to the care of a Kenneth George Farmer and transported to somewhere in Mirfield west Yorkshire (Supposedly the Mirfield/Navigation Boat Yard but no one knows any thing about it there) by a haulage company in November 2004 from there it simply vanished.

The HIN no is GBLBC00626F000

The engine is Beta BV1903 S/no30946

I don't have any more details at the moment but I do have the gentleman's number if anyone can help him out with the where abouts of his boat or the elusive Mr Farmer.

Gary

Edited by Gary Peacock

I have just had a phone call from a rather upset gentleman.

He's misplaced or possibly had stolen his 60ft cruiser style Liverpool Boats narrowboat.

It was entrusted to the care of a Kenneth George Farmer and transported to somewhere in Mirfield west Yorkshire (Supposedly the Mirfield/Navigation Boat Yard but no one knows any thing about it there) by a haulage company in November 2004 from there it simply vanished.

The HIN no is GBLBC00626F000

The engine is Beta BV1903 S/no30946

I don't have any more details at the moment but I do have the gentleman's number if anyone can help him out with the where abouts of his boat or the elusive Mr Farmer.

Gary

this is the biggest object i have ever heard about being misplaced.this story i must follow.i think i need to put satelite tracker gear in during the build.

And how long did it take him to notice?

From what I can gather it was part of a business deal he trusted this guy with the boat and he vanished, the only clue being information relating to it's supposed movement to Mirfield if it ever went there is unknown. BW and the authorities are searching for it but you know as well as I do it will probably have being sold on by now. It should re appear when it is relicensed and the HIN No is matched. But buy then somebody will have purchased stolen property and probably have to give it back.

Gary

. It should re appear when it is relicensed and the HIN No is matched. But buy then somebody will have purchased stolen property and probably have to give it back.

Gary

yeah, well, the 'seller' was a right mug if he hadn't changed the 'registration plates' .........

Edited by chris polley

yeah, well, the 'seller' was a right mug if he hadn't changed the 'registration plates' .........

In theory at least it's not that simple the HIN numbers are logged and cross referenced you can't just make one up. You can't either duplicate them because that would show and all builders should know where there duplicate concealed HIN no plate is located just for this kind of occurrence. More likely the boat will be off loaded to some unsuspecting mug with little experience.

Gary

It would be interesting to know how many private boats have been successfully stolen, I know that up to a couple of years ago there had never been an un-detected theft of a hire boat.

I remember the last attempt, an unlikely middle aged couple hired a boat from, I think Alvechurch and also acquired some sort of boat house. During the period of hire they had completely refitted the interior, added a stove and chimney, filled in some windows and repainted the outside.

A lock keeper eventually spotted it, it is surprisingly difficult to successfully disguise a boat from some one who is familiar with the type. They received a prison sentence and heavy costs, loss of revenue and complete Restoration to it's previous state.

There was another Pinewood studio's type of attempt which caught the imagination of the BBC and the tabloid press for a few days, it was eventually spotted by a police helicopter cruising along, with an energetic crew painting it as they went.

In theory at least it's not that simple the HIN numbers are logged and cross referenced you can't just make one up. You can't either duplicate them because that would show and all builders should know where there duplicate concealed HIN no plate is located just for this kind of occurrence. More likely the boat will be off loaded to some unsuspecting mug with little experience.

Gary

it is some kind of deal this is.maybe we could help if we knew where the boat was picked up from.who had it in the first place.has anybody even seen it. is there any proof a boat existed.he might have just trusted this bloke who told him he had one.

i dont,no i cannot believe it. i wish i had this story in full,the who what why and when because it is a book waiting to be written,and it has got to be a comedy.nobody i have met today will believe what i have told them about this.

since getting this bug about the cut this is the best so far,what a laugh.it has come just at the right time with jon getting his uniform.jon make this your first case and progress up the ranks lad.

i am listening to the blues and laughing.i never thought i could listen to b.b.king and laugh while he does the biz.gary come on is this a wind up?

it is some kind of deal this is.maybe we could help if we knew where the boat was picked up from.who had it in the first place.has anybody even seen it. is there any proof a boat existed.he might have just trusted this bloke who told him he had one.

i dont,no i cannot believe it. i wish i had this story in full,the who what why and when because it is a book waiting to be written,and it has got to be a comedy.nobody i have met today will believe what i have told them about this.

since getting this bug about the cut this is the best so far,what a laugh.it has come just at the right time with jon getting his uniform.jon make this your first case and progress up the ranks lad.

i am listening to the blues and laughing.i never thought i could listen to b.b.king and laugh while he does the biz.gary come on is this a wind up?

No it's not and the owner isn't short of a bob or too either involved with a quite serious motor sport.

Gary

I wonder what else the poor guy has lost.

His car?

His family?

LOL, like it. :D

And involved in serious motor sport? Do his employers know about this?

I wouldnt want him entrusted with an expensive car of mine.

But serioulsy though. Poor chap, you'd be gutted wouldnt ya!!!

..or bike.........or boat.....or whatever the motor is in!!

what was the scene at the police station like when he walked in and said he had lost a 60ft boat and a wagon plus driver.i think it must be a scam of some kind it is just very weird.would you have the guts to go home and admit to your wife sorry i have misplaced the boat somewhere.i would not even go home i would be like piano man.know nothing and say nothing manuel style .if anyone has a boat to sell i know someone who is looking for one

I remember reading some years ago about two narrowboats having been stolen, they were craned out and loaded onto trailers and hidden away on some farm or other place - through the efforts of the police the boats were found some weeks later. Everyone were totally amazed at the gigantic efforts the thieves made to pinch a pair of narrowboats!! I am sure it was reported in Waterways World. It was a first for the narrowboat world! :D

Correct me if I have any details wrong.

Surely someone must remember this??

PS I just found something else - a three part story about a stolen narrowboat called Steel-a-Wey featured in the IWA's Northampton Branch magazine 'Endeavour.' The theft happened in 1993, and the boat was rediscovered almost ten years later! I can only find part two of this story in their 3rd quarter of 2003 magazine online. Parts one and three I cant find at all.

Incidentally in the same issue there's a report about someone stealing a narrowboat from Oundle! Fortunately the lock keeper saw it and challenged the thief who then ran off.

Edited by roger

I remember reading some years ago about two narrowboats having been stolen, they were craned out and loaded onto trailers and hidden away on some farm or other place - through the efforts of the police the boats were found some weeks later. Everyone were totally amazed at the gigantic efforts the thieves made to pinch a pair of narrowboats!! I am sure it was reported in Waterways World. It was a first for the narrowboat world! :D

Correct me if I have any details wrong.

I suppose these days if you can steel two £120,000 boats thats quite a bit of cash you can make if you can pass them on again. Especially if you own your own crane and lorry!

I suppose these days if you can steel two £120,000 boats thats quite a bit of cash you can make if you can pass them on again.  Especially if you own your own crane and lorry!

Thats true theives get quite sophisicated! Also April Fool Jokers too! I found the first part of this tale frm the Northants IWA and no surprise it was an april fool thing! (Spreading it over three quarterly issues was a bit much however!)

Thats true theives get quite sophisicated! Also April Fool Jokers too! I found the first part of this tale frm the Northants IWA and no surprise it was an april fool thing! (Spreading it over three quarterly issues was a bit much however!)

roger are saying the tale is april fool joke?

gary can you not make a phone call and update on this subject.make that thread.

its a bit of a mystery so dont leave it hanging tell us everything you know. leave nothing out .