Missing Cat - Little Venice

Featured Posts

Our cat has gone missing whilst we've been moored at Little Venice...

Our time (14 days) is almost up at LV (contrary to the 'freindly' mooring officer who wants us moved NOW, even though I tried to correct him that we've only been here 12 days, but I digress), so we're moving on without the cat on board.

Along with posters in the area, contacting all the relevant authorities and postings on the web, I just thought in case any boaters are in the LV area and happen to see him:

He's black with white paws and bib

12 years old

Nuetered male

His name is Bagel

He's lived on board with us for almost four years, and never wanders far, so we're getting extremely anxious for the little feller!

Many thanks

Hi, I know it's a bit late now but you can scam 35 days mooring if you do 1 week Paddington arm , then 1 week Little Venice then back to Pad. then back to Little Venice then back to Paddington Arm.

You could certainly do 7 days down on the Paddington Arm. You can then still look for your cat.

Good luck . Patrick.

Thanks Patrick. The mooring officer is being totally unreasonable: he wants us OUT! We did one week Paddington, 2 weeks Kensal Green and 12 days Little Venice, yet he wants us moved! I had to persuade him to let us stay 'til saturday (which'll make it 14 days which we thought we were allowed?). I just don't get it: his log seemed totally incorrect, yet he was so insistant we have to go... where there's boats all around which we know for a fact have been here longer than we have. It's typical, when we were really just trying to 'play' by the rules. And trying to air our point was a complete waist of time - does he listen to anyone besides himself? His attitude was.... well, not great! Why, when we pay BW for license and mooring (in Notts) are we allowed to be spoken to in such a disgusting manner: tapping his pen on our boat "You've been here too long, haven't you?" [rhetorical?] Also, is this correct: 'You have to continue your journey in the direction the boat is facing, no turning back' - that's a quote. Just hoping the cat shows up before saturday...

Don't forget that there's the BW Office Boat on the Paddington Arm (well, it was this time last year, anyway way ... more-or-less under the flyover by the electric boat). You could pop in there, explain your circumstances, and also mention that the mooring warden was being "difficult".

Hope you find the moggy.

'You have to continue your journey in the direction the boat is facing, no turning back' - that's a quote.

So what happens when you get to the end of an arm?

Is the only way to travel by going the whole way around a ring?

Our nip to the pub for lunch would take weeks!!!!

We saw your distinctive boat down at Little Venice last week - Hope your cat turns up soon

Cheers

Cath

Total and utter poppycock!

Thanks Allan - I'd never heard that one, but was unable to argue our cause as i) I wasn't sure it was true or not ii) he didn't listen to anything execpt for himself! Ourselves, probably along with many boaters, have a 'preferred' direction of facing, due to side doors, etc... I'm astounded this 'poppycock' is allowed from empolyees with a certain amount of 'power'.

Check which way your facing! And carry on! Ignore all winding holes!!

Still no sign of the cat...

Edited by ogdens' nutgone flake

Well, hopefully without opening up too many old arguments, you say you have a permanent mooring elsewhere.

So IMO you don't even have to adhere to the dubious guidelines for continuous cruisers about lengths of stay, and moving on in general.

Unless I'm missing something, you only have to adhere to local rules relating to the moorings you are on. So, if they are 14 day moorings, all you have to do is limit your stay to 14 days. Which direction you motor off in next surely can't enter into it ? :lol:

Also think the paint job is great, by the way!

Well, hopefully without opening up too many old arguments, you say you have a permanent mooring elsewhere.

So IMO you don't even have to adhere to the dubious guidelines for continuous cruisers about lengths of stay, and moving on in general.

Thanks Alan, I think you're right. Yes, we have a permanent mooring BW mooring Nottingham, and are visiting London (cruising) for the summer - so I don't want to open up another continuous cruising debate... It's just that I was convinced we were possibly in the 'wrong' due the way I was spoken to/content of conversation - lies?

Unless I'm missing something, you only have to adhere to local rules relating to the moorings you are on. So, if they are 14 day moorings, all you have to do is limit your stay to 14 days. Which direction you motor off in next surely can't enter into it ? :lol:

Exactly! We've only been here 12 days, yet why can some boats stay longer than 14?

Also think the paint job is great, by the way!

Thanks Alan, I think you're right. Yes, we have a permanent mooring BW mooring Nottingham, and are visiting London (cruising) for the summer - so I don't want to open up another continuous cruising debate... It's just that I was convinced we were possibly in the 'wrong' due the way I was spoken to/content of conversation - lies?

Exactly! We've only been here 12 days, yet why can some boats stay longer than 14?

Thanks about the paint job! That was one, long, cold, tiring christmas in dry dock (Trevethicks, Notts - amazing place) - but seems to have been worth it!

Edited by ogdens' nutgone flake

Hi Mick on L'escargot here. Swap the boats if you like so you're towpath side - might help your moggy find you. We'll keep an eye out. Let us know if you need any help with moving them. Or chucking the mooring warden in.

He He! You still up too? You met the officer in question? Thanks for your offer - we were originally on waterside here, so if there's any chance he finds his way home, he should be cool... and we'll be shifting out of here come saturday for obvious reasons! Thanks for looking out for Bagel for us - appreciate that!

Hope you find the cat soon. Do let us know what happens. Have you tried putting up posters (Yes, I know cats, can't read before anyone says it :lol: ) in the local area? Might help, especially if your going further down the cut. Good luck.

ITA

The moorings officer's action is unreasonable, and if i were you i would go straight to BW's offices in Shelton Square and demand to see someone like Mark Blackwell or John Guest and make a complaint about the moorings officer (whose name I am aware of) and explain your circumstances.

Any issues you can always point out a particular boat called Forward which has hung around since last September, its not moved on, not ever had a winter moorings permit, not ever recieved a warning notice ever etc etc and ask why this boat (which doesnt have a cat missing for example!) can stay indefintely when others can't

Im in little venice until monday ( when my 14 days is up- we keep a log of our movements so can show to any pesky bw warden)

im moving around the corner to paddington on monday so i will keep an eye open for the cat.