Heating boiler/used engine oil

Kristian

Featured Posts

OK, As many of you have seen in the latested WW, theres an artical about running or converting old engines to run on used engine oil and the like.

I very much like the sound of this due to having a Lister jp3 and working for a major haulier I have an endless supply of used engine and gearbox oil.

But my issue is both the engine and heating boiler (mikuni mx40) run from the same tank, Whats your thoughts on running or trying to run or converting the Mikuni to

run on the same fuel, ie used engine/gearbox oil, seperating the tank and thus the fuel suppy is a none starter!!

Kristian.

Given the stream of complaints about Ebby/Mikuni/Webasto devices giving problems when running on red diesel (although mine has been OK) I'd be surprised if they'd run on used engine oil which will have much more contaminants.

If I'm wrong though I'll be delighted as my old Gardner supposedly will run on used lube oil.

Edited by andywatson

my old Gardner supposedly will run on used lube oil.

Sometimes you cant STOP them doing it!!

Elsewhere I referred to "Snibbles first law of combustion science" I formulated this when converting an old heater to run on old oil.

Snibbles first law of combustion science states, "If you burn a lot of sh1t, you get a lot of burned sh1t".

In accordance with this law, I would say no, you cannot persuade your Mikuni to run on old oil, (for long).

Snibbles first law of combustion science states, "If you burn a lot of sh1t, you get a lot of burned sh1t".

In accordance with this law, I would say no, you cannot persuade your Mikuni to run on old oil, (for long).

We have a waste oil burner at work, and believe me it is HARD WORK............ Sorry Snibbles, but speaking from experience there is no law, no science in combusting waste oil just absolute witchcraft :(

Many people struggle to persuade them to run on diesel.

Gibbo

Hi all

Just read through this thread, having posted a new topic in the liveaboard section about the Volvox engine.

Thought the similarities to the Lister and the apparent ability to run on neat cooking oil and even waste engine oil might interest the contributors here.

Roger

no science in combusting waste oil just absolute witchcraft :lol:

I'll agree completely with that statement. My experience of waste oil heaters is the same. Complete strip down and decoke on at least a weekly basis. Regular tantrums and sooty walls in the workshop when it throws a wobbly. Plus it always breaks down when needed most. The last straw was when it sprung a leak overnight and pumped the entire contents of the waste oil tank (approx 200 gallons) over the workshop floor.

Have also experienced the home made type of drip (dribble?) feed waste oil heater. The drum was glowing red and you couldn't get within 10 feet of it. As a heat source it was incredible. Even thought about building one for my own workshop.......till I saw this one get very 'angry', very quickly...... with flames shooting out of the inlet damper, and every other orifice as it couldn't get up the flue quick enough..... :lol:

The merest hint of water in the fuel and you have problems. Steam passed over red hot steel releases the hydrogen from the water.... :lol:

Steam passed over red hot steel releases the hydrogen from the water.... :lol:

I think you'll find that its not the hydrogen being released from the water. If you can get water to split to it's component parts of hydrogen and oxygen at such low temperatures, I'll buy your stove off you :lol:

However, water comes in to contact with red hot metal and instantly changes from a fluid to a gas. The expansion ratio is approx' 11:1 by volume. That's why the flue gasses can't get up the chimney fast enough.

Either way, its quite dramatic