What are my rights?

jerrytug

Featured Posts

HI guys,unbelievably BW have started the proceedings with the local council to build and offer me and a handful of others a full-on residential mooring. After picking myself up off the floor,I began to ponder. We will have to pay large mooring fees,council tax etc which we are prepared for,on top of the usual boat licence,insurance,etc. But will I be able to pass it on to the kids when I am transmogrified into an otter,or will BW claim it back and put it out to tender? Can I put a different boat on it and keep it? Can I,supposing some drastic change in circs,flog it to the highest bidder as if it was "Dunroamin,Acacia Avenue"? I know that if you have a "long-term" mooring,BW retain all these rights,but over the years we will be paying them a substantial amount of money between us,and I can`t work out if it`s worth it. I would be very grateful for any legal nitty-gritty about these matters. Thanx in advance,Jerry.

Edited by jerrytug

I assume you are on a long term mooring, if you and the others do not take up the offer BW will be tendering out the moorings if they follow their present policy. I know no legal nitty-gritty but put yourself back on the floor, you are renting the mooring not buying it!

For the present round of mooring tenders, the space is 'leased' to you.

That is basically it, you supply them the name of the bot you will be putting on the mooring.

It is for you and only you and is not transferable, can not be used by anyone else unless agreed by BW.

Somehow I can see moorings being like season tickets at Old Trafford or at Rangers, the original holder passed on years ago but his seat lives on!

For the present round of mooring tenders, the space is 'leased' to you.

That is basically it, you supply them the name of the bot you will be putting on the mooring.

It is for you and only you and is not transferable, can not be used by anyone else unless agreed by BW.

Somehow I can see moorings being like season tickets at Old Trafford or at Rangers, the original holder passed on years ago but his seat lives on!

Can the mooring be in the name of more than one person? What happens if the "boat owner" dies and your the partner!

Worth asking yourself a question tho' if you've been waiting a long time and reach the top of the waiting list, how would you feel about moorings being passed on in the estate of deceased boaters to be sold off in addition to payments to BW.

This is a bit like wandering into a car dealers with a bus ticket to see what he'll give you for the bus!