Fire Extinguishers

Byeckerslike

Featured Posts

You can in theory, but they tend to be considered disposable and cheaper to replace.

Which is shameful really, givem the throwaway society that it now seems impossible to avoid.

Being about to bin some 2001 dated extinguishers, with not a mark on them, it seems bloody ridiculous to me.

Which is shameful really, givem the throwaway society that it now seems impossible to avoid.

Being about to bin some 2001 dated extinguishers, with not a mark on them, it seems bloody ridiculous to me.

One of mine has been reading zero for nearly 18 months. It was new when I set out October 2006

Relatedly, do the extinguishers have to be the right brand? Also looming BSC worries...

Not "the right brand", but must have one of the markings prescribed in the BSS regulations. If they are not recently dated, they must have a service record on them to show they have been kept operable.

Also depending upon boat length and equipment aboard, there must be a set number (3 usually) with ratings that add up to a defined total.

So whilst your Lidl, Argos or whatever ones probably are OK, you need to check very carefully that they will meet the BSS regs before purchase. I looked at some apparently bargain Argos ones (1KG) and they came nowhere close.

Note (for example) not all 1KG dry powder extinguishers have equal ratings. 3 of the ones I used to have one of would have come nowhere close to meeting the total defined requirement, but 3 like I just recently bought some of do easily.

The least hassle way is probably to go to one of the chandlers offering 3 * 1KG extinguishers easily meeting the spec, and at about £60, (one will throw in a fire blanket at that price). Carriage might push the price up though. 3 * 1KG obviously weighs well over 3 KG......

My extinguishers could not be more prominently placed in the boat. It didn't stop the examiner saying, "Have you just got the one extinguisher ?)...... :D:D

Alan

Can any one tell me where I can get fire extinguishers re-charged and re-certified ready for a looming boat safety certificate?

Many thanks,

Rob

I get mine serviced almost every year by Berkshire Extinguisher Services at about £5 each. After so many years they have to be recharged when the cost is rather more. That is the point I usually replace them.

I get mine serviced almost every year by Berkshire Extinguisher Services at about £5 each. After so many years they have to be recharged when the cost is rather more. That is the point I usually replace them.

What does a 'service' actually consist of?

A facinating question!

You can't get inside them without letting the gas out, and there doesn't appear to be much you can do from the outside.

I really can't imagine - it would be interesting to know!

I had some serviced a few years ago, it cost more than replacements would have cost. Basically they set them off and check that the mechanism works, replace any seals etc and re-fill them. Oh, and write on the side that they have been serviced. I could have done that myself and saved £40.

Stewart

A facinating question!

You can't get inside them without letting the gas out, and there doesn't appear to be much you can do from the outside.

I really can't imagine - it would be interesting to know!

As far as I can see:-

Check weighing them.

Puffing air/gas into a little hole on the pressure gauge.

Fitting a new tag onto the lever to prevent accidental operation.

Adding to the service date on the label or sticking a label on.

Sticking a new "type" label on in the correct colour if required.

Supplying a dated invoice.

So not much, but I have proof of service so have somewhat protected myself from my insurance company - if anything goes wrong.

Even when they refill them I think it came to about £18.

I should point out that BES do all the Berkshire fire service extinguishers.