Vactan

Featured Posts

I have read such good reports of Vactan on this site that I thought I should try it. I have looked at their website but cannot find how long it takes to cure prior to over coating. Can anybody, who has used it, tell me please ?

Arthur

• 1 year later...

*BUMP*

one application, wash/rinse the surface the next day and paint as soon as the surface is free of moisture bloom.

Please excuse the bump. But I see that ChrisPy is still about, and I could do with some advice.

Painted hull with vactan on saturday. One side (in the sunshine) has cured lovely. All black and ready to paint.

But the other has moisture bloom. I hosed it down, and it looks better. But still patches of bloom remaining.

What should I do? Scrub it off? Hose it again? Or just leave it to dry out?

the cold weather conditions aren't helping. tried using a heat gun on it, but

that did bugger all. I can see that underneath the bloom, the vactan has done

it's stuff... the rust is gone, and been turned to black. but i'm a bit concerned

with the bloom scuzz. (as i'm on a deadline).

*BUMP*

Please excuse the bump. But I see that ChrisPy is still about, and I could do with some advice.

Painted hull with vactan on saturday. One side (in the sunshine) has cured lovely. All black and ready to paint.

But the other has moisture bloom. I hosed it down, and it looks better. But still patches of bloom remaining.

What should I do? Scrub it off? Hose it again? Or just leave it to dry out?

the cold weather conditions aren't helping. tried using a heat gun on it, but

that did bugger all. I can see that underneath the bloom, the vactan has done

it's stuff... the rust is gone, and been turned to black. but i'm a bit concerned

with the bloom scuzz. (as i'm on a deadline).

Well, when I used it in the cabin bilge it needed quite a bit of heat on it to to cure. I used Ellen's 1400W hairdryer for so long you could still feel the heat coming up when the surveyor peered in the hole the next day so maybe using the heat gun for a while longer perhaps?

I had some issues with the curing time of Vactan some while ago, so I wrote to them for advice. Their response was a bit inconclusive, but they did eventually suggest that it might be advisavble to leave it overnight before applying a coat of paint.

Given the problems a lot of people are having with paint pimpling, I would also advise waiting a good time aftre washing down to make sure the surface is really dry.

I had some issues with the curing time of Vactan some while ago, so I wrote to them for advice. Their response was a bit inconclusive, but they did eventually suggest that it might be advisavble to leave it overnight before applying a coat of paint.

Given the problems a lot of people are having with paint pimpling, I would also advise waiting a good time aftre washing down to make sure the surface is really dry.

I have half an idea that the ambient temperature needs to be somewhat higher than it's been recently too.

I have half an idea that the ambient temperature needs to be somewhat higher than it's been recently too.

From the manufacturer's info sheet on Vactan

VACTAN info

"Under ideal conditions a 100 micron wet film of VACTAN will be touch dry in approximately 10 minutes at 20'C, whereas at 10'C with little air movement this time can be as long as 2 hours. VACTAN should not be applied at temperatures below 10'C, or when there is risk of condensation or rain during this drying period".

Thanks guys, but that's errr...not terribly helpful.

It's a 54ft boat. Outside, on blocks. I did a test meter patch with the gun. Heated it up really well. And NOTHING. So running up and down the length with a hairdryer (aka heat gun), isn't looking good.

David, it's been two days since it went on. It's dried up, fine. But it's the bloom residue

that i'm concerned with removing. Underneath, the vactan appears to have worked perfectly.

It's just that the moisture didn't evaporate, unlike the side in the sunshine. and it's now

sat around on the surface.

Yes, yes, I know it says DO NOT USE vactan in under 10 degrees.

But when are we going to see 'ideal conditions' in an English winter?

I took a gamble. It's killed ALL the rust. One side looks lovely. And the

other needs "attention" of some sort.

I will inspect it tomorrow morning. And borrow a pressure washer, if needs be.

Possibly I used more than 100 microns, because I was slapping it all over.

Thanks for giving it some thought, anyway.

I'm not ungrateful.

Cheers..

In the winter, I would suggest that you need to ensure the surface gets a chance to warm up. So if your boat is on the hard, it is best to try to align it north-south, so all of it gets some sun at some time of the day.

My boat was aligned east-west during fit-out and the opportunities to paint the north facing side were very limited.

Hi ChrisPy. I'm aligned north/south, and have no choice but to get on with it.

The starboard side is in the shadow of 200K worth of plastic, so it hasn't been

going off as well as i'd hoped.

The good news is that i've just been out and pressure washed it.

Most of the bloom came off, and the hull looks fine underneath.

I'm hoping the residue will dry up in the next 2-3 days.

:lol:

• 3 weeks later...
i am using vactan now...am just wondering what you all mean by "bloom"? :lol:

If your using it at this time of year it may sprout daffodils hence bloom.

But seriously its a reaction with the air and it oxidises slightly but will still cure with a little higher temp if you cant wipe it of with a hard rub using a rag it will do.

tis a strange and wonderful liquid.

We use it on our very old vactan hungry Dutch Barge on a tidal mooring about 10 miles from where they make the stuff.

Very small company.. no reception just a man in laboratory who will take you to the office(upstairs).. all four staff very friendly. and big warehouse at back..

I bought 5lt last week.. it keeps jumping up in price though... I was asked if I had come across any problems using it!!

Sometimes you just get rid of any surplus on a brush on any rusting piece of barge that comes to hand.. (most of it) ... no prep etc .. and it is fantastic and remains perfect for ages.. other times you do all the right things as stated and a few weeks later it wil lift/ rust comes through.. same for the man next to me... He was dismayed to find his deck was rusting through the paint again after hard work with prep,vactan/ top coat..

yes it does like heat as its water based and has to evaporate.. which is a pain this time of year ..

it hates /silicon/grease/oil /salt residue etc .. so you have to 'de-grease' the rust sometimes if that makes sense..

also give it a good shake.. then let it settle otherwise its like frothy milk shake..

I obviously use it but will always double check it has adhered not just formed a crust.. hope this rambling may help

i'm in love with the stuff. i got 5l tub, and it's gone round the 54ft hull twice,

done the engine hole, done the gas lockers, and there is still plenty to spare.

observations...

if you are lucky enough to have 10 degrees, it turns black within 10 minutes. job done.

absolutely awesome and incredible stuff. i would like to shake the hand of the inventor.

if you don't.. it turns bluey turquoise.. some of it eventually goes black. but you are left with 'bloom',

which to me, resembled limescale. hosing it down removes the worst of it. pressure washing didn't

help much. so i had to resort to angle grinder with wire brush. took about an hour to remove, so not

as serious as limescale. but it did cause a day of panic.

now i use it on everything and anything remotely rusty.

:lol: