Another Nice Narrowboat

andy the hammer

Featured Posts

When we embarked on the building of our boat and visited Blisworth we were told that the owners of the boat that sat on the canal side had agreed to the completion of our boat before theirs as they were both working abroad.

We thought it was strange that nothing seemed to be happening to the hull on our various visits to see The Maisibert but little did we know.

On that day when we recieved the E mail stating that the boat builder was thinking about liquidating the company a few minutes later we recieved another E mail from complete strangers stating that they had got our address from an E mail from their boat builder and told us that they were working abroad and were wondering what the hell was happening.

On a visit to the boat yard they discovered that their boat was not built to the stage that they had paid for and it was agreed to remove the boats, after a lot of planning this was done in February 07.

A subsequent settlement has now allowed the completion,Intrepid as its name suggests has been fearless and bold and is now taking shape at Heartwood Narrow boats in Stoke.

The Maisibert and Intrepid are lovingly known as the twins as they were joined together as one when they were towed away on that February day and both suffering with the same type of problems.

The twins are Born

boatmove001.jpg

Intrepid Shot Blasted and Primed

boat2069.jpg

The fit out starts

P1010497.jpg

P1010505.jpg

P1010507-1.jpg

Regards

Andy

I have recieved some photographs of Intrepid today and I am a little shocked at the state it arrived at Heartwood Narrowboats, we realised it was worse than The Maisibert but at the time I dont think it sunk in how bad it was.

Like I have said before Intrepid has been bold and brave to come through the bad start it recieved at Blisworth and now is on the road to recovery.

Heartwoodpictures130.jpg

Heartwoodpictures127.jpg

Heartwoodpictures103.jpg

Heartwoodpictures093.jpg

Heartwoodpictures092.jpg

Heartwoodpictures001.jpg

Heartwoodpictures025.jpg

Heartwoodpictures030.jpg

Heartwoodpictures045.jpg

Heartwoodpictures047.jpg

Heartwoodpictures051.jpg

Heartwoodpictures075.jpg

Heartwoodpictures055.jpg

Regards

andy

• 1 month later...

Now that Crick has been and gone and Alma Jean has been dispatched to her moorings in Huddersfield it is time for Heartwood Narrowboats to concentrate on Intrepid as her owners are looking to take ownership in a few months.

The bedroom flooring has just been laid

P1020511.jpg

Galley flooring is laid

P1020517copy.jpg

P1020522.jpg

Regards

Andy

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
After a rough start it looks like you've got a boat to be proud of - she looks lovely!

I especially love the footprints on the roof - excellent touch :lol:

I like that too, very unique and individual.

Thank you for all the lovely comments...Best of all, I can't wait to tell the boatbuilder, Heartwood Narrowboats, that it's a CIRCULAR GALLEY UNIT because we've never got beyond, much to my disdain, calling it 'a bulbous worktop' :lol: Obviously I'm very proud of what Paul and Maria (and family) have done to my boat after such a nightmare, and for the support of Andy and Hilary from The Maisibert. Intrepid goes back in water a week tomorrow - Wednesday, a date I've been dreaming about for three years! Just two more days of work, one flight and terminal five to contend with and I'll be mooching around the five counties enjoying unemployment for a while so please say 'hello' and I promise to slow down when passing moored boats :lol:

Penny.

Edited because I is good at english, I is!

Edited by NiceNarrowboat

Thank you for all the lovely comments...Best of all, I can't wait to tell the boatbuilder, Heartwood Narrowboats, that it's a CIRCULAR GALLEY UNIT because we've never got beyond, much to my disdain, calling it 'a bulbous worktop' :lol: Obviously I'm very proud of what Paul and Maria (and family) have done to my boat after such a nightmare, and for the support of Andy and Hilary from The Maisibert. Intrepid goes back in water a week tomorrow - Wednesday, a date I've been dreaming about for three years! Just two more days of work, one flight and terminal five to contend with and I'll be mooching around the five counties enjoying unemployment for a while so please say 'hello' and I promise to slow down when passing moored boats :lol:

Penny.

Edited because I is good at english, I is!

It seems such a long time ago we recieved your E Mail from the back and beyond and the journey the twins have taken in that time.

Look forward to seeing you at the weekend.

Regards

Andy

Edited by andy the hammer

• 1 month later...

Can we all just clarify that this build was not started by Blisworth tunnel narrowboats or mill wharf boat company as one of the pictures implies

Thankyou, Blisworth tunnel Narrowboats/Mill wharf boat co

P.S

See you all at Crick 2009, where we will be showing yet another stunning boat built around a 1907 Fmc Motorboat "Columbia"

built for Kevin Richmond MBE

Regards

Saw your 'Intrepid' on the cut the other day, that is one fine boat and a seriously beautiful paint job. You must be really pleased.

Not sure what all the bickering is about here but it seems a little disconcerting that Columbia is being built 'Again' after being recovered and lengthened By Jason Clarke of JM Clarke Narrowboats at Blisworth back in 2006 - see the article in Endeavour, Northampton Branch Newsletter Feb 2007.NEWSLETTER

Although, please jump in anyone if I am quoting wrong here, I think Columbia was actually a butty built at Saltley. Motorboat production at Saltley didn't start until 1912. Columbia first received an engine in 1939 (Done by Yarwoods of Norwich) at which time I believe she was shortened to 54ft. SEE HERE

I have a feeling that Columbia, again I could be wrong, had already been sort of built, had a wooden cabin top put in but then had a fire 2005 and sank, was recovered, lengthened, a boatmans cabin built onto it. SEE PICTURES OUTSIDE BLISWORTH

Then, of course my history is a little lacking here but I believe that there was some attempt to sell the boat (on Apollo Duck) but there were complaints from some viewers of the boat that the lengthening of the boat had not been done correctly, or in the correct style or maybe it was something to do with the boatmans cabin that had been built onto the boat in 2006 SEE HISTORY

I obviously digress here but with such a chequered history, one that seems to mirror the many changes at Blisworth itself, it would be lovely to see Columbia back in fine form.

Can we all just clarify that this build was not started by Blisworth tunnel narrowboats or mill wharf boat company as one of the pictures implies

P.S

See you all at Crick 2009, where we will be showing yet another stunning boat built around a 1907 Fmc Motorboat "Columbia"

Regards

Once again to whom it my concern.

In the Waterways magazine from the I.W.A. Summer 2008 issue 220 and other magazines there is an advert for Blisworth Tunnel Narrowboats offering boat building and other services by J & M Clarke which is the name of the company that was going to complete our boat before notifying us they were liquidating the company.

Also I have been reminded that Blisworth Tunnel Narrowboats offered to complete our boat on new terms and conditions.

Regards

Andy

P.S

Regards

Just to clarify, there are three companies registered at the address Mill Wharf, Gayton Rd, Blisworth, the directors & shareholders of which are all familiarly related. So, yes, you are quite right that Blisworth Tunnel Narrowboats nor Mill Wharf, built my boat. However, the co-director of Mill Wharf, remains the director of the company of the third company, not yet struck off, which attempted to build this boat.

I take great assurance that none of the three companies above completed the build of my narrowboat.

Penelope Brown.