internet

tilly

Featured Posts

hi all can anyone give me any input on how i get the internet on my boat ;) tilly
how big is your boat ? the internet is pretty big you know :D .

Most use mobile phone type connections.

USB sticks are one of the most recent, and getting comparable (or cheaper) to home internet conections.all dependent on signal strength tho !

wifi is available in some spots too

Edited by Tusses

Opinions vary and what you use will depend on your requirements. We have a Vodfaone USB modem that provides unlimited use for £30 a month but we wouldn't recommend it to anyone else unless you need unlimited use/downloads. There are some very good deals available at the moment from T mobile and others and it is well worth talking to them at their local shops.

Some of the contributors on this forum use a mobile phone (without a separate computer) to access the Internet and World Wide Web - if you have good eyesight and can use a phone keyboard for texts, this may also be a good option.

You might want to check your Vodafone tariff. I just got our two Vodafone dongles reduced in price down to £15 a month. (3gig) I wouldn't want to swap providers because we get the super fast service here on our mooring.

Edited by Lady Muck

You might want to check your Vodafone tariff. I just got our two Vodafone dongles reduced in price down to £15 a month. (3gig) I wouldn't want to swap providers because we get the super fast service here on our mooring.

You are probably right - last time we checked with Vodafone we got a reduction from over £50 a month to just around £30 - they don't tell you when they have a cheaper scheme available - you just have to keep checking with them!

I'll phone them tomorrow . . .

;)

I use T-mobile with my Nokia E61, which has a qwerty keyboard of sorts. The service works OK, but I wouldn't use either again. You can get services like this on PAYG for not much more, and it keeps getting cheaper. My phone doesn't work properly after 7 months and they won't fix it under guarantee. It's great that you can get £15/month internet, but I have to pay £37.50 for the next year.

Be careful with what laptop you choose, too - mine drew more than 4a from the batteries.

I use T-mobile with my Nokia E61, which has a qwerty keyboard of sorts. The service works OK, but I wouldn't use either again. You can get services like this on PAYG for not much more, and it keeps getting cheaper. My phone doesn't work properly after 7 months and they won't fix it under guarantee. It's great that you can get £15/month internet, but I have to pay £37.50 for the next year.

Be careful with what laptop you choose, too - mine drew more than 4a from the batteries.

i drunken sailor i have a laptop too how do i find out about the power on the laptop tilly

i drunken sailor i have a laptop too how do i find out about the power on the laptop tilly

You could check the manufacturers websites, or ask to see the powersupply in the shop before you buy.

You could check the manufacturers websites, or ask to see the powersupply in the shop before you buy.

I use the 3 dongle on my laptop £10 month brilliant, we also have 2 mobile phones with them hubbies contract ran out last year so I told 3 we were just going pay as you go on that one so they set up a new contract costing £5 month 300 minutes free talk time 200 texts plus new free phone. Guess whos a silly wifey then as I'm still paying £26 month on my phone

I'm getting great speeds with Three at the moment and they're improving their coverage all the time.

I'm on the Thames in Abingdon tonight and i've got full strength at HSPDA which feels as good as broadband

PS. I'm using 'pay as you go' with Three, which gives me a 3gb limit per month for £15

Edited by Scotty

I'm getting great speeds with Three at the moment and they're improving their coverage all the time.

I'm on the Thames in Abingdon tonight and i've got full strength at HSPDA which feels as good as broadband

PS. I'm using 'pay as you go' with Three, which gives me a 3gb limit per month for £15

thanks scotty i think i will go with the 3 g pay as you go do you need an address to get it :rolleyes: tilly

thanks scotty i think i will go with the 3 g pay as you go do you need an address to get it :rolleyes: tilly

I had to register an address so that I could top up by credit card,

but maybe if you bought top up vouches from shops you wouldn't need to?

PS. i'm in Oxford today and the signal on Three is still very good :rolleyes:

Edited by Scotty

• 2 weeks later...

I cant decided!!

3 and Vodafone seem to be doing the same deal with the difference of vodafone wanting you to sign up for a 24 month contract and 3 wanting a 18 month one.

The coverage looks better on 3 but i dont know if its just the way they coloured there little map in.

I'm obviously drawn more to 3 because of the shorter contract.

Is there anyone on here that has used either of these on the Gloucester Sharpness? Or in more remote areas?

I want to get it for our two week trip down to there and wont have time to try it out down there before we go but that will be our base.

I cant decided!!

3 and Vodafone seem to be doing the same deal with the difference of vodafone wanting you to sign up for a 24 month contract and 3 wanting a 18 month one.

The coverage looks better on 3 but i dont know if its just the way they coloured there little map in.

I'm obviously drawn more to 3 because of the shorter contract.

Is there anyone on here that has used either of these on the Gloucester Sharpness? Or in more remote areas?

I want to get it for our two week trip down to there and wont have time to try it out down there before we go but that will be our base.

As a good rule of thumb - if you can use your mobile and have a conversation without having to keep saying "Hang on. You're breaking up!" you'll be OK for net access - but it'll just be slower.

My Vodafone access has rarely been a problem.

As a good rule of thumb - if you can use your mobile and have a conversation without having to keep saying "Hang on. You're breaking up!" you'll be OK for net access - but it'll just be slower.

My Vodafone access has rarely been a problem.

mmmm... i can't remember ever using my mobile when down at Saul. I have a fear of phones after running up a £700 phone bill. :hug: