Londoner looks at Crick...

RupertG

Featured Posts

I'd like to go to the Crick show this year, as part of the process of working out whether I want to live on a boat (the easy bit) and if so, how, what and when (ah, harder ones). Never been before. Being a Londoner I don't have a car, and a quick look at the appropriate website didn't reveal any public transport options. There is camping, right? (I've survived Glastonbury...)

What's the best way to get there, enjoy myself and get back again? Is it even slightly sensible to think about hiring a boat and pootling up that way?

TIA,

Rupert

Rupert.

Completely ignore this post as I utterly missread the OP! Bloody Frog beer ... I blame Keeping Up!

Chris

(Ex-London worker, now CC (albeit SLLLLooowly))

Edited by Chris J W

By train it's about 7 miles from Long Buckby station and 9 miles from Rugby station. Either one is feasible by taxi.

Rugby is probably a better bet because you can get a faster train there and also it's probably easier to get a taxi from there as Long Buckby is rather tiny.

I take NO responsibility for the number of Frogs consumed by Chris

unkl hbf ish huddled in the corner witterring abowt summat about truffe cirums and frogs ...

In January I told the kids to get in the car, we were going to the boat show (London - Excel). When I got into the car, I noticed they were wearing wellie-boots and rain coats. They thought we were going to Crick!

Bring your wellies!

By train it's about 7 miles from Long Buckby station and 9 miles from Rugby station. Either one is feasible by taxi.

Rugby is probably a better bet because you can get a faster train there and also it's probably easier to get a taxi from there as Long Buckby is rather tiny.

Ah, that sounds plausible. Not sure how long London-Rugby is, but assuming that they don't turn the trains off for the bank holiday it should be doable there and back in a day...

ta all

R

Rupert

By public transport, train to rugby would seem to be the best bet. I believe there are some local buses operating between rugby and crick, but i'm not sure how often or if they would run on sunday or bank holiday.

I went by boat last year - as has been said already, it gets crowded. I got there thursday afternoon, and ended up mooring on a slightly dodgy bit of bank about a mile away from the entrance!

Camping is possible, but the field can get rather soggy if it rains a lot (but I guess it probably can't get worse than glastonbury!)

One further thought - there's a lot going on at the show, and my experience is that you are likely to struggle to get round everything in a day. I was there all three days last year, and I didn't get bored! If you can make a weekend of it, it would probably be worthwhile.

Watch this space for further info http://www.crickboatshow.co.uk/

Peter

Rupert

By public transport, train to rugby would seem to be the best bet. I believe there are some local buses operating between rugby and crick, but i'm not sure how often or if they would run on sunday or bank holiday.

I went by boat last year - as has been said already, it gets crowded. I got there thursday afternoon, and ended up mooring on a slightly dodgy bit of bank about a mile away from the entrance!

Camping is possible, but the field can get rather soggy if it rains a lot (but I guess it probably can't get worse than glastonbury!)

One further thought - there's a lot going on at the show, and my experience is that you are likely to struggle to get round everything in a day. I was there all three days last year, and I didn't get bored! If you can make a weekend of it, it would probably be worthwhile.

Watch this space for further info http://www.crickboatshow.co.uk/

Peter

Mmm. I'm a bit worried by its claims to be a fantastic family day out. I have a limited tolerance for fantastic family days out! Grown-ups are hard enough work... and I will be there by myself (Swmbo is even less tolerant of Fantastic Family Days Out), so I dunno if I could hack it for too long.

R

I'd like to go to the Crick show this year, as part of the process of working out whether I want to live on a boat (the easy bit) and if so, how, what and when (ah, harder ones). Never been before. Being a Londoner I don't have a car, and a quick look at the appropriate website didn't reveal any public transport options. There is camping, right? (I've survived Glastonbury...)

What's the best way to get there, enjoy myself and get back again? Is it even slightly sensible to think about hiring a boat and pootling up that way?

TIA,

Rupert

Hi Rupert

Unfortunately the Crick show is poorly served by public transport and it is a pity the organisers don't offer a park and ride or a Rugby station to Crick coach service. I believe that trains to Long Buckby are Mon to Fri only as a through service from London. Driving can be a nightmare as most years the traffic tails back from Crick to J18 of the M1 and then on the M1 itself, causing huge delays. The local bus service is infrequent but will take you on a delightful tour of Warwickshire and Northamptonshire villages that you never knew existed before dumping you outside the Wheatsheaf pub in the centre of Crick.

If you make it come and say hello - I'm on stand KF05 in the Kingfisher Marquee.

Dominic

The bus between Rugby & Crick takes about 35mins but don`t think it runs Sundays. Also check out the trains at Rugby as there are line closures on Bank Holiday w`ends as repair/upgrades of track are behind. Look at Virgin web site. I agree with others you must spend at least 2 days at show as you will want to gather as much info as poss and might want to return to a stand to clarify some of the things you thought you understood.

If you are considering a life afloat give yourself plenty of time at Crick to absorb everything. Enjoy yourself

I'd like to go to the Crick show this year, as part of the process of working out whether I want to live on a boat (the easy bit) and if so, how, what and when (ah, harder ones).

We did our first Crick Boat Show in a 40 footer hired for the weekend from Clifton Cruisers at Rugby! Loved it and in a shallow draughted boat you can always moor within reasonable walking distance of the event. Otherwise take the train to/from Rugby and use the show shuttle bus.

Camping is not recommended based on what we have observed from our boat during the last three years - you'll need wellies up to your armpits . . .