Insulation

kerching

Featured Posts

Chris

Have a look at Scewfix (airtec double insulation) complies with building regs when installed to directions, equivilent to 55mm polystyrene, not used it.

Maybe others can advise on its suitability.

p1791752_l.jpg

I have used this on the roof sections of my barge. I trapped it inbetween the box section roof beams and the battens to give an airgap above and below as per the instructions. Seems to work rally well but needs sealing completely as per a vapour barrier to prevent warm air coming into contact with the steelwork. So far I have had no problems with condensation - During a particularly cold period one time I removed some of my cladding, peeled back the airtec to find that the steelwork behind was dry as a bone. The main advantage of this stuff i would say is its cost and the fact that you can get to the steelwork if you want it is also very easy to install overhead. Main disadvantage is the need to seal it completely but for the roof this did not prove to be too difficult.

Gary

you can buy diy kits of spray foam still expensive 800 pounds for the large 300 for small come in gas bottle shape cannisters A and B witch you mix and spray where you like

This is the one we use at work around £400 for large and £200 for small fire rated as well.Hardens in seconds and trims easily!

click

Chris

Have a look at Scewfix (airtec double insulation) complies with building regs when installed to directions, equivilent to 55mm polystyrene, not used it.

p1791752_l.jpg

Tescos are doing 7 or 8m rolls of something which looks similar to this for about £25.

It may be something completely different - to me it just looks like silver bubblewrap!

I wouldnt use airtec foor a door as you will end up with a very thick door in order to get the correct airgap either side of the airtec. I used just old capet/underlay between the wood and the steel. i sealed the edges of the woood and this seems to work ok with no condensation problemshope this helpsGary

Tescos are doing 7 or 8m rolls of something which looks similar to this for about £25. It may be something completely different - to me it just looks like silver bubblewrap!
Thats exactly what airtec is like! Hard to believe its insulating qualities are equivilant to 50 mil or so of polystyrene, but it is. There is a test of the stuff somewhere on the web which I think was mentioned somewhere elese on this forumGary
This is the one we use at work around £400 for large and £200 for small fire rated as well.Hardens in seconds and trims easily!click
Is this link correct? all I get is a fiberglass products company?Gary
A building surveyor I know recommended this to me. I think its expensive. Don't know if it could be used on a NB. I'm waiting for a reply from themhttp://www.ybsinsulation.com/superquilt.htm
This looks a lot like thinsulate and maybe cheaper?Gary

I wouldnt use airtec foor a door as you will end up with a very thick door in order to get the correct airgap either side of the airtec. I used just old capet/underlay between the wood and the steel. i sealed the edges of the woood and this seems to work ok with no condensation problemshope this helpsGaryThats exactly what airtec is like! Hard to believe its insulating qualities are equivilant to 50 mil or so of polystyrene, but it is. There is a test of the stuff somewhere on the web which I think was mentioned somewhere elese on this forumGaryIs this link correct? all I get is a fiberglass products company?GaryThis looks a lot like thinsulate and maybe cheaper?Gary

Gary how did you fix the wood to the door and the roof hatch. I have been looking at some other doors and I can't see any sign of screws from the outside. Thanks Colin.

Chris

p1791752_l.jpg

This stuff is the same thing as Thermawrap. It's the one you can buy in Tesco for £25. Focus is doing it for £16.99. If you know someone who is retired, they can get 10% off with an over 60's card.

Gary how did you fix the wood to the door and the roof hatch. I have been looking at some other doors and I can't see any sign of screws from the outside. Thanks Colin.

Sorry for the delay in responding Colin I have been away for a few days. My hatches are edged in box section so I just drilled iin from the sides to hold the wood. I see no reason why you cannot drill through the steel face of the doors/hatches and use coutersunk screws so you can fill and paint to leave no trace! I have seen this done on a number of other boats!

Gary

Edited by Gary Stacey