BW Visitor Licences (How hard it is to buy one)

nbfiresprite

Featured Posts

Being based on the Levels, I normally just buy a visitor license when I go on to the Nene. Leave Stanground Lock and pull in to Stanground Boat Yard and buy the EA license, No problem. Coming the other way, stop off at Gayton Junction and get the EA License before dropping down the arm.

Yet if going on to BW waters from Nene, You can not get a license before Braunston going North (Then only on Tuesday and Friday or Milton Keynes heading south (Monday to Friday). Day travel in both cases while members of 'boaters with a Axe to grind :angry: ' are ringing BW about your boat with no license. And when you get to the office you charged twice the normal rate as you not able to get it before entering BW waters. Some of you say that I should just send the forms to Leeds like most do. The water levels on Nene can rise overnight into flood conditions as it did last May. I was out of pocket as no refunds :o if unable to use the BW license.

It is time BW got it act together and restore a license outlet at Gayton junction and not charge double for coming up the flight first to get to the outlet.

As traveling from Northampton to Braunston before hand requires two buses and Milton Keynes, a Train and a large taxi bill.

Just had to let off some steam :D before planning this years route.

Firesprite

that saved a lot of typing!!

we are planing a trip onto the grand union this year, as you are no doubt aware last july was a waste of time as far as the nene was concerned. fingers crossed this year is not a repeat performance - would drive me mad to pay for a licence then have to stay on our permanant mooring due to flood conditions.

it does go against the grain that there is a BW facility at Gayton but no chance to purchase a visitor licence - surely a few licences in a draw would not stretch BW reserves too much????!!

Edited by gazza

Being based on the Levels, I normally just buy a visitor license when I go on to the Nene. Leave Stanground Lock and pull in to Stanground Boat Yard and buy the EA license, No problem. Coming the other way, stop off at Gayton Junction and get the EA License before dropping down the arm.

Yet if going on to BW waters from Nene, You can not get a license before Braunston going North (Then only on Tuesday and Friday or Milton Keynes heading south (Monday to Friday). Day travel in both cases while members of 'boaters with a Axe to grind :angry: ' are ringing BW about your boat with no license. And when you get to the office you charged twice the normal rate as you not able to get it before entering BW waters. Some of you say that I should just send the forms to Leeds like most do. The water levels on Nene can rise overnight into flood conditions as it did last May. I was out of pocket as no refunds :D if unable to use the BW license.

It is time BW got it act together and restore a license outlet at Gayton junction and not charge double for coming up the flight first to get to the outlet.

As traveling from Northampton to Braunston before hand requires two buses and Milton Keynes, a Train and a large taxi bill.

Just had to let off some steam B) before planning this years route.

Firesprite

Have you tried writing to BW and putting this point to them? I've always found asking the question usually results in some sort of solution or compromise, BW do get a lousy press but most of the staff are very helpful.

:o

Ken

You could also find out when the next BW user group meeting is for your area and raise the point there. The meetings are usually held in March and October every year. ( The Leeds & Liverpool and Lancaster Canals User Group meeting is next thursday at the Wigan Office )

This way you may get to speak to the person who can do something about it.

Steve

Have you tried writing to BW and putting this point to them? I've always found asking the question usually results in some sort of solution or compromise, BW do get a lousy press but most of the staff are very helpful.

:stop:

Ken

I did and this is the reply

Hello and thank you for your email,

I can advise you that the BW office at Braunston sell short term licences and the Milton Keynes office, the Milton Keynes office is open Monday to Friday 9.00 to 5.00 and the Braunston office is only open on a Friday during the winter months (10am to 4pm) – this changes on the 1st April when Braunston is open Tuesday and Friday (10am to 4pm. Alternatively you can apply for a short term licence by logging onto www.waterscape.com

I hope the above information is of help

Yours sincerely

Philippa Brannigan

Customer Service Team Leader

British Waterways

South East Business Unit

And you can not get a short term license from 'waterscape.com' website. She only supplied information that i all ready had

and not answer the question ( Why is it possable to buy a EA license at Gayton Junction, But not a BW one.

Furthermore there are no BW user groups in the Fens.

Firesprite

I did and this is the reply

Hello and thank you for your email,

I can advise you that the BW office at Braunston sell short term licences and the Milton Keynes office, the Milton Keynes office is open Monday to Friday 9.00 to 5.00 and the Braunston office is only open on a Friday during the winter months (10am to 4pm) – this changes on the 1st April when Braunston is open Tuesday and Friday (10am to 4pm. Alternatively you can apply for a short term licence by logging onto www.waterscape.com

I hope the above information is of help

Yours sincerely

Philippa Brannigan

Customer Service Team Leader

British Waterways

South East Business Unit

And you can not get a short term license from 'waterscape.com' website. She only supplied information that i all ready had

and not answer the question ( Why is it possable to buy a EA license at Gayton Junction, But not a BW one.

Furthermore there are no BW user groups in the Fens.

Firesprite

If you go to the BW site and type in complaints procedure it tells you how to make a complaint.

Sue